Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New AERO 1930s Halfbelt in goat...A very serious pictorial review

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
This sure is a sharp looking jacket, JanSolo! What a work of art! How is it working out for you since you got it? Do you ride motorcycles?

What do you think, guys: Is this jacket protective enough for a "dressy" MC jacket? Does the goatskin provide enough protection?

Also, has anyone put extra patches on the elbows to help with protection while riding? I'm thinking of how the Schott 585 "vintage" jacket uses elbow patches for that reason, although it's kind of a "faux" MC jacket and more of a regular wear jacket. For me, elbow patches are a compromise, but they would be worth it to be able to have the comfort of goatskin, as compared with the less comfortable horsehide, which is wonderful to be sure, but less comfortable, especially for general use, as well.

I suppose Aero could install internal pockets for soft armor in the elbows and shoulders. Still, I would hate to make the arms "warped" in order to accommodate armor. It would limit the jacket's appeal for general use, aside from riding.

I have always dabbled with the idea of goat for MC use. Just not sure if it provides moderate to suitable protection from pavement in the event of going down around town, rather than on the freeway, which would obviously be disastrous in goat at high speeds.

Last edited:
Dunno. Doesn't seem as heavy and road-ready to me. Never gone down in anything short of HEAVY Steer/Cow. That held up like a champ. A good, heavy goat may be OK - and it's surely better than no jacket at all. Me, no goat for riding.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Butte: Good to hear from you. You're an experienced rider and you have a voluminous leather wardrobe. What's your favorite riding jacket in HH?

I'm thinking this 1930's Halfbelt I recently acquired won't work so well because it has a shorter back than front. It almost seems as if the reverse would be preferable since one's legs are up when one rides and one's back is leaning forward a bit. A modified design might be better, something along the lines of JanSolo's design with a back that is not shorter than the front.

I like the 50's HBD I got from Aero, but only for local "cruising" around. All my proper riding jackets are Steer/cow and Cortech (non-leather)
I have not looked for HH riding gear to be honest, but the hides surely are up to the task. For me, looking "cool" is a distant 2nd to being protected. Not that you can't have both, just that it's not Job #1 :)

Tony B

One of the Regulars
One option would be a slightly longer halfbelt but get a two way zip fitted so when riding you could take the bottom zip up about 3 inches when riding...a tank protector would be vital though.

I tried seeing if I could fit the armour from a belstaff bike jacket in under it and to my supprise it did fit without making the jacket look too bad...not fitted in pockets or that just double sided tape to see if it was possible. The shoulders were alright, felt nice and snug, but the elbows felt too tight but it is a jacket with quite tight arms anyway but yes it would be do-able with out ruining the jacket I would think.

The two way zip wasn't my idea a saw it here http://http://www.ironheart.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2505.15

One other option I was thinking for turning a halfbelt type jacket into more of a bike jacket was to hook the collar down using the little hooks and bars I got off an old fur collar from a second hand coat as I had some left over once I had finished with it. they are similar but slightly amaller than the throat hooks on A2 flight jackets so are basically a bigger version of bra hooks so are a bit less visiblal than press studs but would serve the same purpose but be less intusive visually (they are blackened metal) when not fastened.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Aero's 30s HB clearly is a civilian design and (at least to me) by no means a MC jacket. No storm flap, no storm cuffs, no warm lining etc. I wouldn't want to tweak that pattern into a bike jacket. I like goatskin for its grain and not because it is relatively (sic!) stronger than horse or cow.

Don't use your HB on a bike. It's great as it is and it looks superb with classic attire i.e. good denim, welted work boots (White's, Red Wings, Vibergs etc) and western shirts. Get something else for your bike.

If you want a jacket that offers maximum (or even decent) protection and also classic looks Aero might not be the brand to go for. AFAIK Aero won't even put pockets for armor on the jackets. They won't do anything that would transform a classic bike jacket into a modern one. I bet Will starts to through up if you enquire about sewing protective armor in... ;)

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I've tested most of these jackets out...they all work pretty well! Just ride and have fun...buy for what looks good on and off of the bike! ;)

Wade-on-Fire.jpg

Tadite

Familiar Face
I was running around eBay and I thought someone would like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190731050445?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It looks like a Jansolo Special 1930's Half Belt. Right down to the goatskin, button cuffs, and what looks to me like gabardine lining (listing says drill so maybe it's as close as they still have?). Size 42. The seller mentions he got it through Insurection Leathers. I'm a bit surprised that something that's clearly Fedora Forum inspired isn't listed as such or on our for sale page (at least as far as I looked). I don't normally list eBay links but I figured this could be an exception to the rule. It's not often that something so similar in design becomes available and with the likelihood that the size of goat is no longer available for a single back I figured it was worth the post.

I own another of the Jansolo inspired goat skin 1930's and the only way someones getting it from me is by inheritance!

majormajor

One Too Many
Alot of questions re Half Belts this week, wekk this thread is an example of a VERY nice one!:D

mexl916

New in Town
Hi Jan,

very nice jacket, congratulation! I've several questions concerning your modifications:

(1) Do you changed the back of your jacket too? It seems that you left out the yoke, resulting in a plain back above the belt (similar to the 1950s halfbelt).

Edit: Sorry, I've read your answer somewhere in this thread.

(2) You have an outer pocket on the left hand side and an inner G1 style pocket also on the left hand side. Does the layering of the two pocket linings feel something thick?

(3) I've read in other threads that you like the 2 panel sleeves too. Would you choose the 3 panel sleeves again for the 1930s halfbelt?

(4) Holly mentioned that the people at Aero really dislike the leather strip on the hem. They prefer a strip made of corduroy. What do you think about this?

(5) Am I right that the standard 1930s halfbelt has single leather cuffs with lining inside? What are the advantages of the double leather (leather lined) cuffs? Does this add wear protection or just a stylistic change?

Edit: Another member asked you this question too. Unfortunately it seems that you answered him by PM.

Maybe you'll find some time for answering :)

Kind regards,
Mexl

Last edited:

roco666

New in Town
Hi, Jansolo.
Was wondering how the goat jacket is ageing?
I have found that goat skin is quite prone to scratching.
Leather also cracks a bit around the stiching.
Not sure if that is normal with goat-skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR