Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
I've actually wanted a real shearling jacket from Aero for a long while, but I knew I absolutely did not have the patience for the extra long wait for the custom order. Luckily, this D-1 in my size popped up and I snagged it asap. I was a bit worried that the 25" sleeve would be a bit long on me, as on my best fitting fabric coat its roughly 24" sleeves. In reality, the 25" includes that 1 inch of shearling that pops out of the sleeve, so the leather ends actually at 24", which makes it look like a 24" sleeve in my eye at least.

I chose the D-1 over the B-3 or B-6 because I sweat really easily, and ease of movement is really important to me, so the D-1 is the perfect warmth.

The measurements are
P2P 22.75"
Sleeve: 25"
Back: 25"
Shoulders: 18"

I would say everything actually fits .75 smaller given the 3/8" of shearling. With wear, the shearling should get to 1/4", which would make it .5 smaller than the actual measurements.
I do have a question though. I know on the Aero site it says leave it alone in terms of horsehide care, but does that go for sheepskin as well? I noticed a small spot of flaking/dryness under one of the arms so I'm not sure whether I should put some Collonil on it or not.

IMG-9915.jpg
IMG-9914.jpg
IMG-9910.jpg
IMG-9904.jpg
IMG-9902.jpg

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Great jacket and perfect fit, congratulations. I wouldn’t worry about a dry spot, it won’t weaken the jacket at all. I’ve always liked the D-1, I prefer it’s uncluttered look to the epaulets of the B-6, and it’s probably the best all round jacket for winter unless you live somewhere really cold. I should have held onto the one I had (same old story).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Geat fit. I love my D-1, it's such an easy jacket to wear, goes with anything and is just the right weight to see me from late autumn to early spring. I traded an ANJ-4 for my D-1, the former was fantastic but was just too heavy to really get any significant use out of it. My one was also an off-the-peg, modded jacket - it came without the zips and has light tan Italian leather tapes.

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
Geat fit. I love my D-1, it's such an easy jacket to wear, goes with anything and is just the right weight to see me from late autumn to early spring. I traded an ANJ-4 for my D-1, the former was fantastic but was just too heavy to really get any significant use out of it. My one was also an off-the-peg, modded jacket - it came without the zips and has light tan Italian leather tapes.

Best part is it requires almost no breaking in to look good!!

What did you do about care? Just ignore it?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Jacket looks fantastic.

In terms of sheepskin, I have heard that it needs to be conditioned more often than horsehide, but that doesn't mean you need to treat it immediately.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fantastic jacket with a great fit.

Got rid of my Alpha B-3 and an Irving in favour of a D-1 from Eastmans.

Thick shearlings just don’t work for me in the Southern part of the UK.

The D-1 cuts the Airforce image but without cooking...

Edward

Bartender
Funny how much these thingsvary from person to person - I've never found either my Irvin or B3 to be too much in London, but we're all set to diferent temperatures. I think I've just gone soft in the mild climate down here, maybe!

Nonetheless, I still have my eye on other sheepskins - a Redskin B6 (or aD1 if it came up stock or used at the right time), and a CC Irvin...

This D1 looks fab, great rest of outfit too. Love the bots - I do like the lace-to-toe aesthetic. What model are they?

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
Funny how much these thingsvary from person to person - I've never found either my Irvin or B3 to be too much in London, but we're all set to diferent temperatures. I think I've just gone soft in the mild climate down here, maybe!

Nonetheless, I still have my eye on other sheepskins - a Redskin B6 (or aD1 if it came up stock or used at the right time), and a CC Irvin...

This D1 looks fab, great rest of outfit too. Love the bots - I do like the lace-to-toe aesthetic. What model are they?

They’re the Lofgren Donkey Punchers! Thank you! I really am enjoying the D-1 , a lot more than I expected

Twit

One of the Regulars
That fits you well!

Did you get this recently directly from Aero? If so it could almost be my old D1 which I traded against an M422a jacket; the measurements are very similar... I found it a wee bit short, it looks better on you. Its odd as doubt the M422 is really any longer but somehow on me it works better. For me the D1 is the best of all the shearling jackets, especially in red skin. if I could find a longer one I'd have it without hesitation!!

bn1966

Funny the difference in the comfortable temperature range for folk, I baked in my ELC Irvin except for the very coldest weather, so some years it only went out a handful of times. I thought about a B-3 from Eastmans a couple of years back but they advised me against it given I had to chop the Irvin in for a D-1...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Best part is it requires almost no breaking in to look good!!

What did you do about care? Just ignore it?
Wear and it and forget it. I do that with all my jackets. If you baby them then you will be devastated when it gets that inevitable first scuff or scratch, and it won't look get that worn-in look the ones you see if all those old WWII photos, which is what we're trying to get them to look like.
I have an Irvin that is worn around the cuffs, has scuffs and marks on the sleeves etc, has a vague sueding on the chest, and it looks all the better for it. You could stick my Irvin in a pile of used multi-panel ones and I'd pick out in a moment.

bn1966

Wear and it and forget it. I do that with all my jackets. If you baby them then you will be devastated when it gets that inevitable first scuff or scratch, and it won't look get that worn-in look the ones you see if all those old WWII photos, which is what we're trying to get them to look like.
I have an Irvin that is worn around the cuffs, has scuffs and marks on the sleeves etc, has a vague sueding on the chest, and it looks all the better for it. You could stick my Irvin in a pile of used multi-panel ones and I'd pick out in a moment.

Wise words, these jackets need to be worn hard (not abused) & that way they look good, do the job for which they were intended & give you a tangible return on your investment....pleasure

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face

Aye
I called Aero this morning and they advised me to just treat it like a HH jacket and leave it alone.

That fits you well!

Did you get this recently directly from Aero? If so it could almost be my old D1 which I traded against an M422a jacket; the measurements are very similar... I found it a wee bit short, it looks better on you. Its odd as doubt the M422 is really any longer but somehow on me it works better. For me the D1 is the best of all the shearling jackets, especially in red skin. if I could find a longer one I'd have it without hesitation!!

I did! Bought it on Monday. It’s actually the longest leather jacket I own, aside from a vintage car coat. I’m much more used to “motorcycle jacket” cuts, so as a size 40 I have an Indian ranger with a 24” back and an August half belt I picked off the showroom also in a 24” back. I’m thinking of getting a Cordovan CXFQHH Hooch Hauler with a 25” back just because how good the 25” back on the D-1 looks on me though!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB