Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Premium Slim Fit 1930's Half Belt

Edward

Bartender
I really do not care to much about how long should the jacket be from a vintage perspective? I prefer lenght to the beginning of the back pocket of the jeans. So according to me the lenght is just prefect.

You'll probably find soem sort of "vintage correctness" matters to a lot of folks round here, though. ;) Given that both are well within the ballpark, given the variation of originals, though, that really isn't an issue here. Quite honestly - and I aim this as much at myself as anyone - folks back in thed day would probably have pointed and laughed at those of us who care about such minor things... ;)

How do they feel zipped up & sitting down? Does the back ride too far up & does the front feel comfortable enough = not driving the collar up into your chin or throat?
I wear my 50's HB outdoors in winter, zipped up & sit at sporting events, on my tractor, etc.

Tick

New in Town
Does anyone know how the fit of the Plainsman jacket compares to these two?

The Plainsman has a standard length of 26.5" for a 40" chest.

Best,
Chris

simonc

Practically Family
Get the 23oz 55's Coop to go with the shorter jacket, the rear rise is three inches higher and will work wonders with that jacket (not that the 634's don't) and you will be a very happy man. I personally prefer a shorter jacket for swing and movement, but I also like a longer jacket in winter for ass warmth. The simple answer to all this is; own more jackets!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Many thanks to all who took the time to offer opinions and comment on these two different length jackets, much appreciated. If nothing else, I hope this thread will highlight the importance of ensuring the correct length when ordering a new jacket and how just 1" can change its whole appearance and character.

As for me, my choice sadly has to be a compromise. After trying these jackets on for the past two days and looking at them from every angle, my conclusion is that one is a little too short for comfort and the other too long for the 1930's pattern it represents.

Just to clarify, the original order was made during my visit to the factory where I tried on a used original pattern 1930's half belt with a back length of 24", it was suggested an extra 1" would be perfect for me but to make sure it wasn't cut any shorter then an additional 1/4" could be allowed. The actual jacket (the longer one) was over cut to this total measurement hence 25" became 25 3/4". Whilst all this sounds incredibly nit picking, I can't help thinking a 25" back length would have been spot on.

As to which one I'm going to choose, I'm going to have to go with the longer one. Although the front will never look any shorter, I can't risk the back on the shorter jacket looking any higher when moving around, as Griff has suggested.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can they not alter the length of the longer one by that 3/4 inch and essentially just shave it off the bottom?

It seems a real shame to take ownership of such a nice jacket but to do so a little begrudgingly! I'm just worried every time you put it on you will think about it and be a little disappointed.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Can they not alter the length of the longer one by that 3/4 inch and essentially just shave it off the bottom?

It seems a real shame to take ownership of such a nice jacket but to do so a little begrudgingly! I'm just worried every time you put it on you will think about it and be a little disappointed.

I did ask the question but the answer was no. Apart from the pockets linings reaching the bottom hem of the front of the jacket I suspect the relationship between the back half belt and the bottom hem might look a bit off.

IXL

One Too Many
I personally think you will be absolutely enthralled by the longer jacket after wearing if for a couple of months, and no one will feel it looks too long for you!

schitzo

Suspended
RE:
"As for me, my choice sadly has to be a compromise. After trying these jackets on for the past two days and looking at them from every angle, my conclusion is that one is a little too short for comfort and the other too long for the 1930's pattern it represents.

Just to clarify, the original order was made during my visit to the factory where I tried on a used original pattern 1930's half belt with a back length of 24", it was suggested an extra 1" would be perfect for me but to make sure it wasn't cut any shorter then an additional 1/4" could be allowed. The actual jacket (the longer one) was over cut to this total measurement hence 25" became 25 3/4". Whilst all this sounds incredibly nit picking, I can't help thinking a 25" back length would have been spot on.

As to which one I'm going to choose, I'm going to have to go with the longer one. Although the front will never look any shorter, I can't risk the back on the shorter jacket looking any higher when moving around, as Griff has suggested.
"

You're right, that is sad, but I can't agree about the nit picking. If you went there in person, which is no mean feat, and the precise length required for you was agreed upon after you had tried one on, then I would've expected that given two stabs at it aero would get one of them right. That doesn't seem nit picky or demanding from here. Perhaps there've been teething troubles with it, given it's a new pattern, idk.
But I would have thought that 25" long with .25 margin of error is surely not so difficult for them, or maybe it is and I've just been incredibly fortunate with my orders?
I must say, the hide on the jackets you have does look immense and in light of how popular the one that's too long is - on these pages at least - I'm sure it wouldn't be too much bother for them to relocate it. Indeed, if the short one was a 38 I wouldn't mind trying it on myself.
Anyhow, I'm also quite sure that aero wants you to be happy with your jacket, and so given these circumstances, it won't at all surprise me if somebody from HQ notices this thread and steps in with an offer to make it third time lucky. By which point, I think it safe to say, our collective fingers and toes would all be crossed for you mate! Whatever happens from here, at least you now know beyond a shadow of doubt what your right length in this style of jacket is!

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
Cooperson, I've been avoiding this thread out of sheer, blind jealousy but I have to say that the longer jacket looks more or less perfect to me. They're both beauties and as Schitzo says, the hide is immense. The longer one hits just right at the back and is exactly what I'd go for.

Cooperson

One Too Many
You're right, that is sad, but I can't agree about the nit picking. If you went there in person, which is no mean feat, and the precise length required for you was agreed upon after you had tried one on, then I would've expected that given two stabs at it aero would get one of them right. That doesn't seem nit picky or demanding from here. Perhaps there've been teething troubles with it, given it's a new pattern, idk.
But I would have thought that 25" long with .25 margin of error is surely not so difficult for them, or maybe it is and I've just been incredibly fortunate with my orders?
I must say, the hide on the jackets you have does look immense and in light of how popular the one that's too long is - on these pages at least - I'm sure it wouldn't be too much bother for them to relocate it. Indeed, if the short one was a 38 I wouldn't mind trying it on myself.
Anyhow, I'm also quite sure that aero wants you to be happy with your jacket, and so given these circumstances, it won't at all surprise me if somebody from HQ notices this thread and steps in with an offer to make it third time lucky. By which point, I think it safe to say, our collective fingers and toes would all be crossed for you mate! Whatever happens from here, at least you now know beyond a shadow of doubt what your right length in this style of jacket is!

Thanks for support schitzo but sadly I have to correct you, this would not be third time lucky but, due to hide, pattern and cutting issues, it would actually be a fifth remake! It's been a long and tortuous experience.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Well to be honest. For the price one pays for these jackets, and 0.25 tolerances aside, it should be perfect. Not like its a mall jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well to be honest. For the price one pays for these jackets, and 0.25 tolerances aside, it should be perfect. Not like its a mall jacket.

I don't know about that - it's such a tiny amount - 12 millimeters. Given it's a hand crafted item I can well imagine any jacket being a half inch out here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner