New Alexander Leather Roadster

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by minisoda, Apr 22, 2014.

1. minisoda

minisoda Familiar Face

My new roadster arrived today. It only took five business days from ordering... impressive. Here are my observations, pictures and a couple questions on fit:

Alexander Leather Roadster Seal Jerky Horsehide size 42

Observations:
    - The color and finish are exactly what I was hoping for. Rich finish and very dark color.
    - Smells just wonderful. Not even close to the department store leather jackets that smell like some kind of protective coating.
    - I am 5'9" and 172lb and normally wear a 40R suit jacket. This jacket is a 42 and I would definitely not go any smaller.
    - Man, is this thing stiff. Going to take a concerted effort to make it comfy. 350 miles in the car tomorrow will be a good start.

Here are some pictures. Sorry about the GoPro wide angle shot. I'll get some proper shots with an actual smile on my face in a couple days!

I absolutely love the jacket. My only slight concern and question is around length. I'm not used to wearing shorter jackets in this style. As you can see in the photos, it comes down just about to the bottom of my belt. I think I'll get used to the feel of a shorter jacket, but would love to hear thoughts from the forum on the length.

Also, I had posted about a week ago on sleeve length... as it turns out, the sleeves are perfect. I'm glad I didn't have them shortened!

Thanks for all the guidance - looking forward to enjoying this jacket for a very long time.

2. I think the fit is good..!! Sleeves look good...!!
    May I suggest wetting the collar and shaping it by hand to give it a more uniform appearance.
    Congrats
    HD

3. 53Effie

53Effie A-List Customer

Very nice jacket Aaron. The length looks fine to me. Looks good on you. Enjoy!

4. minisoda

minisoda Familiar Face

Thanks! Good call on the collar...

5. Just put the collar under the tap until quite wet. It will make the leather more pliable and easier to shape by hand. Then let it dry naturally. Won't hurt it at all.
    HD

6. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

It looks good on you and if you can get used to it being that short, don't worry about it. I personally prefer them a few inches longer but thats just me.

7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Looks a great jacket there. I''m a big fan of longer jackets but that one looks fine lengthwise to me. Am I right in thinking that jerky is lighter than FQHH?

8. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks great Aaron . . . congrats!

9. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Jerky is the mid weight HH

10. thor

thor One Too Many

+1

11. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks like a great fit to me. The AL jackets are very nice in fit and finish. I have a couple of AL shortys, a roadster and some captain America clone. I like a short jacket. Great for riding in a car.

Both of mine are a softer Vintage cowhide? What is their HH like? I can see the stiffness. How much does that jacket weigh? Even in the Vintage cow my jackets have some weight to them. There is a black custom roadster HH on ebay I really like.

T

12. schitzo

schitzo Suspended

I wouldn't want it any shorter than that. I wouldn't want it any longer

13. eggleman

eggleman One of the Regulars

perfect length for that design .. enjoy it !

14. Sir Jacket

Sir Jacket Practically Family

Nice. No way would I shorten it. It's the right length. SJ

15. Tinytim

Tinytim Familiar Face

Looks good on you, a real nice looking jacket. I think the lengths ok, if it's too long it will make sitting for long periods uncomfortable.

16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Really?

17. scrawlysteve

scrawlysteve One of the Regulars

Oh yeah, my knee length Roadster gets really uncomfy after around 50 hours of sitting...I usually have to swap it for my Bolero Barnstormer.

18. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That I understand.