Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW CALIFORNIAN VENTURA

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is my latest acquisition, a Californian Ventura made by Himel Bros. that is a collaboration between Himel Bros. and Good Wear Leather. I just happened to see this on John Chapman's sales page and first e-mailed him to see if it was still available, and then called him. From my conversation with Mr. Chapman, the thing that I found most prominent was his passion for what he is doing, and I now understand first hand his reputation for excellence.

Looking at the dimensions for this jacket, I thought that this one might be a stellar fit for me, and as it turns out, I was correct. I think that John and I are somewhat similar in build, although my torso is a bit less than his, and my arms are longer. I have said before I am all arms and legs. ;) I have found that I never find a stock jacket with sleeves that are long enough, this one being a rare exception. Anyhow, I suspect this jacket might fit me even better than it does him. :D

As a point of reference, I am 6'2" and ~185 lbs. This is a labeled size 44 with the following dimensions:

Pit to pit - 24"
Back length - 25.5"
Shoulder - 19.5"
Sleeves - 27.5"

2016-04-30 14.33.58.jpg 2016-04-30 14.34.08.jpg 2016-04-30 14.34.24 HDR.jpg 2016-04-30 14.34.36 HDR.jpg

John gave me permission to post a couple of photos of this jacket from his website, so here goes:

front_view3.jpg reverse_view3.jpg front_view2.jpg reverse_view1.jpg lining.jpg

The website for this jacket is below. I think I snapped up the only dark brown Shinki in this size, although I think he has three more in this size in black Shinki, but plans to order more in various sizes. Anyhow, I have always been curious as to the love for Shinki by so many here, and now I understand why!

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_ventura_collab_002.html

s.gif

Last edited:
Fanch, seriously, gorgeous man. Fit looks bespoke. The back yoke, half belt placement, just everything looks absolutely perfect. Damn man. As good as it gets. Congrats!!

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I thought those sleeves would suit you. Looks great. If anyof those had 25-26", I would have snagged one quick.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another awesome jacket for the stable Mr Fanch...plus you managed to skip the queue...colour me suitably jealous ;)

How does it compare to your Sheene? Does it compete against it for your favourite jacket?

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Here is my latest acquisition, a Californian Ventura made by Himel Bros. that is a collaboration between Himel Bros. and Good Wear Leather. I just happened to see this on John Chapman's sales page and first e-mailed him to see if it was still available, and then called him. From my conversation with Mr. Chapman, the thing that I found most prominent was his passion for what he is doing, and I now understand first hand his reputation for excellence.

Looking at the dimensions for this jacket, I thought that this one might be a stellar fit for me, and as it turns out, I was correct. I think that John and I are somewhat similar in bulid, although my torso is a bit less than his, and my arms are longer. I have said before I am all arms and legs. I have found that I never find a stock jacket with sleeves that are long enough, this one being a rare exception. Anyhow, I suspect this jacket might fit me even better than it does him. :D

As a point of reference, I am 6'2" and ~185 lbs. This is a labeled size 44 with the following dimensions:

Pit to pit - 24"
Back length - 25.5"
Shoulder - 19.5"
Sleeves - 27.5"

View attachment 49033 View attachment 49034 View attachment 49035 View attachment 49036

John gave me permission to post a couple of photos of this jacket from his website, so here goes:

View attachment 49038 View attachment 49039 View attachment 49040 View attachment 49041 View attachment 49042

The website for this jacket is below. I think I snapped up the only dark brown Shinki in this size, although I think he has three more in this size in black Shinki, but plans to order more in various sizes. Anyhow, I have always been curious as to the love for Shinki by so many here, and now I understand why!
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_ventura_collab_002.html

s.gif
What a sublime jacket

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's a great jacket Fanch, enjoy it!
Those 27.5" arms don't even look that long on you, you must have seriously long arms.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
How does it compare to your Sheene? Does it compete against it for your favourite jacket?
@ProteinNerd this one is right up there with anything in my closet. There is absolutely nothing about this Himel/Chapman collaboration not to like, particularly the fit including the 27.5" sleeves for my long arms that are so long that unless I lift my arms a bit when walking the pavement abrades my knuckles. :eek:

Initially I thought before the Ventura arrived that the 25.5" back length might be a tad on the short side, but as you can see from the pictures, I wouldn't want this jacket any longer in the body at all. I particularly like the robust feel of the cotton lining too. As well as the look and feel of the new to me, never been seen before Shinki.

Very, very nice! Perfect sleeve length. A bit too long on Mr. Chapman, but absolutely perfect for you. I really dig the back. Looks like the gussets are really deep. Spectacular jacket but mostly 'cause you wear it so well. Congrats!!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That's a great jacket Fanch, enjoy it!
Those 27.5" arms don't even look that long on you, you must have seriously long arms.
Yep - long arms and legs, relatively short torso in relation to my height. I do believe I recall Mr. Chapman telling me that these patterns can be modified though to vary sleeve length, and I think he plans to offer various sizes with this. His collaboration with Himel does avoid the two-year wait in the queue for jackets that he himself makes. I do recall my telling John that his biggest problem would be relieved if he could clone himself X 10. :D

Last edited:

singer

Familiar Face
This jacket is just stellar and fits and looks great on you @Fanch

I would buy it immediately if that were possible in my size.

I noticed there are a few different details from the usual Venturas John makes. This one has no wrist straps for a bit of a cleaner look (I like it both ways). The side buckles on the Himel collab are the kind that double back. John's Ventura buckles are more the belt buckle kind. Himel's leather facings seem wider and use more leather. Both look great.

Congrats!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think I recall John telling me that he disassembled a Californian Ventura and specified to Himel exactly how the patterns would be constructed. Actually, I wish that John would step in and comment, which he rarely ever does. I suppose if he self-promoted, he would have to clone himself X 20!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
wow, that looks perfect on you! The fit as well as the style. That is an amazing score. Great job also getting a Shinki Himel at what is essentially a steep discount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass