Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Dobbs Forty

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
I picked up a Dobbs Forty in Texas this summer on a TDY to Sheppard AFB. It was shaped with a cattleman's bash, small for me, and kinda dirty. But, the antique shop was only asking $15 with the original box, so how could I resist? I gave the Coleman fuel treatment, after removing all the other bits and pieces, and set about reblocking on a block I borrowed from my local western hatter. Tear drop bash, gentle snap brim, and copied the bow from my AB. The leather sweat was pretty fragile, so I had to compromise on my usual mode of sewing in the sweat, and just stitch through the existing holes without folding it out. As the hat was too small for me (7 1/8 when I'm a 7 5/8), and a friend had asked me to make him one after seeing my Resistol, I settled on giving it to him as a early Christmas gift. Here it is on the customer's noggin, for your consideration...
3061493715_30d80b37e5_o.jpg

3062333420_998904058b_o.jpg

3061493627_489978af77_o.jpg

3061493797_ee6f9a9417_o.jpg

3061493551_fab9417357_o.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think of my second attempt...
Andy

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
WOWZA!

I like an old Dobbs - and that one is very special. Just the kind of hat I'd fall for if I'd seen it for sale.

Great work on the blocking, creasing and ribbon treatment.

I agree with your decision to save the old sweatband. I hate to see them get replaced but sometimes there's no option. You made a good call with the stitching method to keep the original sweatband with this hat.

Just great!!

MattJH

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
I agree with your decision to save the old sweatband. I hate to see them get replaced but sometimes there's no option.

The only thing I don't like about my Whippet is its non-original sweat. Optimo just couldn't keep the old one on there. Otherwise, it's great, but I know exactly what you mean.

RBH

Bartender
RobFedoraField said:
ok, I'll admit, I'm a newbie. What's the coleman fuel treatment?
Coleman fuel is the same as white gas or naptha. You take a bucket with a lid and put in the hat, then pour the naptha over it and seal it up for several hours and shake it up a few times. Then you take it out and let it dry and you have a cleaner vintage hat. You do all of this outside of course. And of couse this will not work miracles, but is great for mildly to really stained hats.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You did a real fine job, Andy. The crease, the ribbon, everything about that one looks great. Love the color and the ribbon with it.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies and compliments, gentlemen! It's nice to hear from such esteemed Loungers as yourselves:D Unfortunately, no I do not have any 'before' photos of the hat, though it looked pretty much an early Open Road. It was in good shape when I bought it (as evidenced by the sweatband), just dirty. My ultimate goal is to do ribbon-like our own Art Fawcett; what a genius! I continue to aspire...

Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80