Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Good Wear Ventura...

767fo

One of the Regulars
First, thanks fellas for the compliments. It means a lot coming from this group. Second, I have to admit, I was really hell-bent (oops, already taken) on showing Good Wear as a "not just WWII repro" maker of cool vintage designs. They get so much press over their military jackets (rightly so) and I really wanted to see that in a civi. The inspiration came from "767fo" and Ishmael. I'm really glad I did this too because it is just an amazing jacket. Allen is dead-on, you can't take pics of this hide unless you have the camera and skills. Although the original pics from John I posted show it best. The stitching is a little more noticeable in person, which I think is awesome - shows the skills big time. And believe me, the Himel pics posted have the same challenges. For whatever reason, it's just hard to capture it. Anyway, I'm glad it came out like it did. I can't imagine people not thinking of GW as a legit maker in this side of things. Maybe John will even expand one day to other designs (nothing like public pressure). So, at the risk of sounding like a shill, I'll stop already. But I can't say enough about this whole experience. If you're not in line for a GW of any sort, I'd do so. All this makes me really feel bad for Cooperson. To give this up would be very difficult indeed. . Thanks again fellas. I appreciate the kind words. (And see, not one Gary Busey / Nick Nolte comment - hiding my head worked!) lol

I have a decent camera and could not capture what the true color is. In certain light the hide looks black and with direct light you can see the brown. I hope John and Himel keep offering this hide.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Scott, I just discovered that you had finally posted pics of your new GW Ventura, and the detail and fit is immaculate! Congratulations.

D

Deleted member 16736

Love the jacket. It really looks great. Fit is spot-on. And those are nice side buckles. I hadn't seen them before. They look like claw buckles, which is good. No sloshing around. Enjoy it.

My GW is only one or two jackets away now, and I'm leaning heavily toward getting an Arcadia with a few modifications to look like this jacket that I believe Dinerman sold on eBay recently. Here's the listing. It's an Arcadia without shoulder pleats or cord trim, and with one zip pocket instead of two. The stitching and a few small details are a little different, too. Your jacket is inspiring me to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281070696494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I give credit for the buckles to Allen (767fo) and they are the best, if also toughest to adjust I have ever owned. Highly recommended. They won't budge once set. Good eye Joel.

D

Deleted member 16736

John's trying to talk me out of D-rings, but I think they're cool, especially when they are attached at the back.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
First, Butte, the jacket is flat out spectacular, hides, fit, color, just...adjectives fail me. One of the most memorable new jackets posted in a while.

Next, I, too, like the buckles. The one drives-me-crazy detail about Aero jackets is the side buckles, or, rather, their straps.

It is presumed, apparently, one will wear the jacket with the straps folded back through the buckle and cinched tight. Not so. I prefer the straps open a bit, to accommodate a light sweater. This means the straps don't fold back over and through the buckles, which means they are constantly pulling loose and hanging. The one solution I have found is to take the jacket to a good leather tailor, or shoe repair and have the *&!#! straps stitched in place, but, alas, this is a detail I neglected to specify on my 30's HB. Either a different buckle or a doubled-in-length strap would solve the problem. I'm happy to see you have found a good solution to the loosening strap problem.

I'll be at Insurrection in a couple of weeks. Perhaps Carrie can swap out the buckles for me. I'll report.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Love the jacket. It really looks great. Fit is spot-on. And those are nice side buckles. I hadn't seen them before. They look like claw buckles, which is good. No sloshing around. Enjoy it.

My GW is only one or two jackets away now, and I'm leaning heavily toward getting an Arcadia with a few modifications to look like this jacket that I believe Dinerman sold on eBay recently. Here's the listing. It's an Arcadia without shoulder pleats or cord trim, and with one zip pocket instead of two. The stitching and a few small details are a little different, too. Your jacket is inspiring me to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281070696494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Do it! I love the Arcadia! (You gotta keep the piping, tho;)) what would those mods be again? I thought having it built with one slanted chest pocket (ala the Aero Herculese) would be cool...

D

Deleted member 16736

You guys are giving me second thoughts about the D-rings. What's wrong with D-rings?

So the jacket I'm copying is literally an original Arcadia with slightly different details. No shoulders pleats or cord trim. Slanted chest pocket (Ventura-style) on one side only. The other differences are the D-rings and the stitching. The stitching is interesting. The jacket I'm copying uses a style of stitching that makes the seams flat (two rows of stitching on either side of the seam with a stitch between them). I don't know the name for this stitch, but it's not top-stitched. It's the kind of stitching you find on the back of an A-2 collar. It uses the stitching on the top seam, the back of the arms, and the side panels where they attach to the back panel. It creates a flat, smooth look. It's very nice. I can't upload pictures from my computer or I'd post the pictures from the auction.

Basically, the Arcadia-style jacket I'm copying makes a simpler jacket. I think the Arcadia is too busy for my tastes. This other style is just what I want. I haven't spoken about it with John yet, but hopefully he can copy the stitching. He already signed off on losing the shoulder pleats and cord trim. Once the jacket is made, I'll post his pictures, if any.

Oh, and my jacket will be exactly 1" shorter on the back than the sleeve, just like the original.

Here's an example of the stitching I'm talking about:

collar5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D-rings, on every piece of gear I've owned, never hold like they should sans a rare exception. These puppies hold! If you don't care, then don't worry. D-rings also tend to jingle, which I hate. As for the jacket, why can't you post links? You don't upload pics here, just the URL's, unless I'm ot understanding you.*edit. Ok, I see what you mean. That's cool stitching - can/will John do that? It looks awesome for sure, but is it fit for high-stress areas?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Well, it lasted on a 60 year old jacket! But we'll see what he says.

The links won't work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket there Butte, and a civillian Good Wear makes a change. I don't think that I've ever seen a bad one off John, but that looks fantastic.

I've got one on order too. I'm worried that Worf is going to slim down, and start looking hopeful by the time it arrives! :D

Hermmmm what? Who me? After the St. Paddy's day feast I attended today... double at the gym tomorrow. Colcannon (sp), corn-beef that cut with a fork and a homemade carrot cake to die for (2 slices)! Ohhh I'm dyin'!

Worf

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I must've really been asleep to miss this thread. Butte that is one of the best-looking jackets I've ever seen. EVER. It looks outstanding even by JC's standards, and there've been some mighty fine examples of his work posted here in the past. There's nothing not to love about your new baby!

D

Deleted member 16736

Butte, this dark seal looks more brown and less black cherry than older samples. Is that true or is it the lighting?

Butte, this dark seal looks more brown and less black cherry than older samples. Is that true or is it the lighting?
Pretty much like a mug of hot chocolate Joel. In the strap cuts, I can see a bit of red tones, but very subtle, or my eyes are not picking it up correctly. I'll go outside later and check...

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks. If it's a true brown (vs. a burgundy-brown), then I'll go for the dark seal. Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara