Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New guy says hello

Dylanfan

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen:
I can't believe it took me so long to find this forum. I have read most of the threads and have learned a lot. I appeciate the congenial and helpful tone eveyone has. I have a small collection because of my big 'ol 7 5/8 head, but I wanted to describe a few and perhaps get a question or two answered. I wear hats on a daily basis, both vintage and new.
I have a steel grey Mallory in the fairly rare Aristocrat quality, lightly used. Terrific felt. From their ads I've seen, it may be fairly old. The brim is 2 3/8 and it is a teardrop crown. It also says established in 1817 not 1823, as some do. Does anyone know why there two dates. I believe the new factory was built in '23, and I have an packet they sent out on their centennial in 1923. I guess what I want to know is when did they change dates on their hats?
I have a NOS dove grey Lee, very nice light hat, original price tag inside, Not sure how old. I believe Lee closed in 1960 and I know the factory burned down in 1968. Both the Danbury hats have the Union stickers still under the silk.
A tan NOS Cavanagh with a 3" brim and tall crown, small ribbon, sort of like the Allesandria or Open Road. No idea how old, but it was sold at a men's shop in the Hotel Utah, now the headquarters of the LDS Church. It does say on the liner Park Avenue at 47th St. at the bottom of the crest, if that helps anyone date it, most seem to just say Cavanagh Hats, New York.
A light brown NOS Stetson Royal Deluxe, 2 1/2 cavanagh edge brim, Bogart style, great felt. Once again, I don't know how old, but the store stamped on the band changed their name in 1952, so it's at least that old. Can someone (Mr. Powers?) enlighten me about Stetson Royal, Royal Deluxe, 50, 100? I also have intact boxes for all, incuding a nice Cavanagh with belt and buckle and a 1939 Adam World's fair box.
I will get some pictures up, at least I've got a start, it's getting very hard to find my size.
I also have a few new hats including a Cervo which I love, the felt and coloring are pretty amazing, and like all my hats, they feel great on my head. The open crown is great, I can do with it what I like, and it takes the elements very well. I don't know if I'll ever be fortunate enough to get a custom hat, but the Cervo is by far the best "off the rack" hat I have encountered. I also have several hand made British fedoras, one black under the Christy's label for Burberry's and another center dent done for Barneys. I believe both are done by the same make as they are both stamped "100% fine fur felt, handmade." Nice hats. I've got a few others also. Naturally, I obtained these from eveyone's favorite auction site. Sorry for the long post.
Regards to all,
Jeff

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Welcome, Dylanfan! I just moved in myself! It sounds like you've got a nice collection of hats, to boot! Apart from the hats I've purchased (and traded) over the years, I inherited a number of hats from my grandfathers, though they're mostly short brimmed fedoras from the 50's and 60's. My favorite fedoras are from the 20's - 40's or almost anything with a nice wide brim. I need to take inventory of what I currently have so I KNOW what I have! :rolleyes:

bink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner