Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Guy....wants to know about Reenactment groups

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
Hi,

Im new to the reenactment scene and i was just wondering if anybody had any advice that they wanted to share.

im Really into WWII and Uniforms of the era......i have a good knowledge about WWII and Uniforms...

i would just like some guidance...cause the Commemorative air force laughed at me when i got in a Plane and i was wearing my Uniform....and so ive given up on them.

Thanks!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Don't feel bad I laughed at the Commerative Air Force when they changed their name. So it's air corps you want to do? You probably came to the right place. Two of us here are devout AAF reenactors. Only problem is I'm on the East Coast and the other is across a whole lot of ground from you to your west. But I'm sure he will pipe in.

Matt

cco23i

A-List Customer
DR,
As Matt said you've come to the right place. I know Fort Worth gal is here and Alan is too so they are both in Texas and you could probably fall in with them. You are doing air crew correct? As I do all ground crew I can't really help with the aircrew side much. Heck in October our unit will be at the CAF's Midland Odessa show drop by, I know we have had our problems with some primadonnas at the CAF but hopefully the M.O show will get the "pencile pusher" here at our Arizona CAF to pull his head out. Take care and keep 'em fying!

Scott

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
WOW!!!

i got alot of help and i really appreciate it alot.

im actually doing a Doolittle Raiders Uniform (Duh) lol. but i have given thought to the air crew.

see im a licensed pilot and i want to fly vintage aircraft and wear my uniforms while i fly in them. my Favorite is A B-25 and it goes along with my impression.

thanks for the forum link, those guys really helped me out alot too

im planning on going to the hangar dance in Ft. Worth in oct and im really looking forward to it.

im also starting my RAF Eagle Squadron Uniform as well.

and dont feel bad about the 4th AF...they had there part in the war just as the 8th. im a lone ranger too....BTW.

thanks again guys:eusa_clap

MPicciotto

Practically Family
The B-25 eh? You want to look up Larry Kelly then. He is the owner of the B-25J Panchito. Very partial to reenactors. He lets us play in his plane whenever it and us are at the same field. The craft is being sponsored by Disabled American Veterans and they set the schedule for shows since they are paying for the fuel. I don't know if they go out west though? The plane is variously based in Georgetown, DE, Cambridge, MD and somewhere in Florida over the winter.

Last October Larry put on a small show in Georgetown and was doing rides in Panchito. Well as reenactors that Larry is friends with (one of our crew is a trained crew chief for Panchito) we got to be trained as "Safety Officers" to look over the well being of the passengers paying 350-450 for a ride. As crew though we got to ride for free! Provided we were in flight gear of course.

Matt

cco23i

A-List Customer
D.R,
If we get our medium bomber camp going with the Collings we will be dealing with B-25's. I will keep you in mind and if it get "off the ground" I will drop you a line to talk to our contacts.

Scott

billgaston

New in Town
DoolittleRaider said:
see im a licensed pilot and i want to fly vintage aircraft and wear my uniforms while i fly in them. my Favorite is A B-25 and it goes along with my impression.

Would be nice to see a pilot dressed in the appropriate gear. All of the folks we have worked with have been great but few if any actually wear WWII flight gear when they fly.

Like M/Sgt Dunkirk said, if you get a chance come out to the Midland CAF AIRSHO we will be there with our Ground Crew Unit.

:eek:fftopic: I think what you should do though, is by yourself a C-54 and take it on the Airshow Road!! I know a group of guys that would be happy to load that baby down with gear for ya!! :D

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
yeah,

i am looking forward to doing my RAF Eagle SQ.....its gonna be like nothing ive ever done before...and if yall have any advice, plz shoot it my way and ill look into it.

i would love nothing better than to get a Vintage Aircraft and tour around the country, teaching people about the War and the Aircraft.

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
Thanks a bunch granada guy!

yeah i have been looking all over various aircraft dealers, looking for a B-25.

im really close to getting my training done, but i dont have the money to buy a vintage warbird, as much as i would LOVE to.

but when i get into the market im gonna snatch one up and fly it till the wings come off.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry I'm a bit late coming into this thread.

DoolittleRaider - I'm in Fort Worth and there is an AAF reenactment group here that would LOVE to have you. They have members in Dallas and several of the guys in the group are pilots as well. Also there's an RAF event this weekend (10/3) in Terrell, with several RAF guys from around the state... they'd love to meet you as well. We will be there, with my husband sporting his early war AAC impression.

It looks like I can't PM you for some reason, but if you have email shoot me one please: pammipoo@hotmail.com and I'll get you the info and introduce you to some folks. North Texas has a pretty big reenactment scene and there are plenty of AAF events. There's even a B-25 stationed here in Fort Worth, and the owner is an awesome guy and very reenactor-friendly.

We'll be at the hangar dance next weekend at the Museum. It is a great time! HUGE turnout (usually 1500-2000 people), LOTS of AAF and probably a few RAF as well. Should be a good time!

Oh, and if you email me before the dance, we always host a party with dinner beforehand with a lot of the reenactors, and we'd love to have you over as well. :)

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
thanks a bunch,

i have been looking for RAF and AAF groups all over the DFW area.

im just kinda apprehensive about guys that will butcher my uniform, like well that,that and that is wrong. i remember talking to one of the guys at an airshow and they told me that i was waisting my money by buying reproduction clothing, it really made me quite upset, thats why i have become my Lone Ranger status.

but, i think that im willing to try again, now that i know alot more about WWII and Uniforms, and im also a Pilot and i really want to fly Chuckie.;)

BTW, my email is curahee89@aol.com.

Thanks again,

DR/Marc

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
That's the AAF group I mentioned - and trust, me they will NOT butcher your uniform. My husband and I used to be members of that group. As far as I know they don't have authenticity standards, and most of the guys are very easy going. They don't have a standard impression or anything, it is kind of "whatever you want to do" and "police yourself" type thing. They are the VFM's home group so you'll see them at the dance for sure.

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
Dix,

thanks for showing me this, i will certainly plan on attending. Waxahachie is like 20 minutes from my house. i live in grand prairie, Tx (right in between Dallas and Ft. Worth.) so ill thoroughly plan on attend this.

FtWorthGal,

ok, ill see on joining this Group then, i would love to join and share my passion with others.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
That's the AAF group I mentioned - and trust, me they will NOT butcher your uniform. My husband and I used to be members of that group. As far as I know they don't have authenticity standards, and most of the guys are very easy going. They don't have a standard impression or anything, it is kind of "whatever you want to do" and "police yourself" type thing. They are the VFM's home group so you'll see them at the dance for sure.

Our group here doesn't have "standards" But we do keep a WW2 Air Force veteran around who will dress you down if your uniform isn't right. I've seen him spend several minutes straightening the collar brass on some of our longest serving group members. It's my opinion that a good group will not bar you for uniform infractions. But it will encourage you and assist you on improving your uniform.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn