Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So Many Types Of leather To Choose

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Im amazed at all the leather choices available for apparel these days and I was wondering if anybody out there has a jacket in some kind of exotic leather.

Lets see now, theres GOAT SKIN, LAMB SKIN, COW HIDE, HORSE HIDE, SHEEP SKIN, BISON HIDE and KANGAROO SKIN.

I noticed that US WINGS in Ohio offers a US AIR FORCE A-2 in Kangaroo skin but Im wondering if anybody has ever offered or had a US NAVY G-2 type flight jacket custom made in Kangaroo skin or another exotic leather ?

Any other leathers that I didnt mention above ? Im a new guy in leather goods and perhaps somebody will show pics of military flight gear or other type jacket in something of a rare leather.

Love this web site. Many Thanks !

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You'll see a lot of A-1 repros in Capeskin here.

Maybe Kudu? (I'm not going to pretend I know what that is exactly...) But several Aero and AL/SB jackets have been made from it and there are a few reviews in the archives.

I think HD has a water buffalo Aero A-2?

I occasionally see old jackets listed on ebay, etc claiming to be made from pigskin.

And then there's deerskin, and various leather suedes.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Love to hear people's experiences with bison and kangaroo. I once read that kangaroo leather smelled horrible, though I susoect it wasn't the kangaroo's fault but rather the fault of the tannery.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I once read that kangaroo leather smelled horrible, though I susoect it wasn't the kangaroo's fault but rather the fault of the tannery.

Roo leather smells just like any other leather. It is a beautiful leather both to look at & work with. It has a very interesting grain & ages well. It's also one of the strongest leathers available due to the lie of the fibres & is very lightweight compared to some others.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I guess if I wanted a G1 in something exotic like kangaroo hide, I'd have to get a custom jacket tailor to make it for me unless somebody is already cranking them out. Sounds like 2500 bucks and maybe a year or longer wait for it depending on how much the waiting line is for a popular leather craftsman.

PICS ANYONE ?

PS.... I havent learned all the jacket slang yet. Who or what is ' HD ' ??

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Love to hear people's experiences with bison and kangaroo. I once read that kangaroo leather smelled horrible, though I susoect it wasn't the kangaroo's fault but rather the fault of the tannery.

Here are two Buzz Rickson in Bison. No odor, very comfortable and plain handsome.
Here is an album with the Rickson

p4QrFAsfeRO0u7iS1ugW8LFuFhVQT2s1dEZbBkq4jSM=w1708-h960-no

UhwNcOGazT7frFkNwzLNNa5PMMGn-WODaxOneiuXTSg=w1708-h960-no

ZrMB0ZFSNIaiAffL1rCK_dbKOP5WD0Kjlh4dO2wPE50=w1708-h960-no

UaXib7Wac9IH9LlrOGxsryKZQQGfslvkbYZfZ3-ey6k=w1708-h960-no

This is a 1930s Capeskin. Very delicate.

hDUONBO5Fl4ifQLzH9gDdet4Od0l7dpy9FJHgBPEr0ZK=w1708-h960-no

1aJAe0EVH4-YQ6_U-aHtogXR6cD8lQMg0F-gQekK9DIf=w1708-h960-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR