Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New hat

jkingrph

Practically Family
Just got an e mail that the Art Fawcett I order before Christmas is to be shipped. That's fast service

In the meantime I took an old Resistol Western that I did not care for, wet it and reformed to a teardrop crown, just a hint of roll to the brim and a snapped down brim in front. The sides of the crown have a few waves, dents I shall try to smooth out later this week. Should I use steam or just wet again and hope for the best. Now it looks slightly beaten, not bad but I do like the shape much better, a lot less cowboyish, not that I dislike westerns and have several.

I may need to make a pressing ring for the brim as it developed a downward taper and then flares out. A good piece of med plywood and scroll saw should handle this job ok.

I'm starting to play and have a lot to learn!!
Jeff

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Western hat felt

You will find the western felt hat, generally, is rather heavy. Wait until you get your new Art Fawcett hat! Your eyes will pop. Save the western weight hat for those wet days.....I know the VS Fawcett hat can handle the rain. But, if you are like me, Art's hats are GORGEOUS! and I HATE wearing them out in the rain....at least that is how I feel on my dove colored hat. The hats that Art has made for me in the past out of vintage felt hat bodies..those are bullet proof. I wear my midnight blue, and the vintage fawn beaver anytime. They don't show ANY ill affects from water. However, my favorite dove gray hat from Art is too precious now..I will let the newness wear off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran