Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New J. Peterman offering

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I see you received your catalog today too!:) They have several items of particular interest. One is the Anglo-Italian Norfolk jacket in Dark Olive brown moleskin. Norfolk-style waist for $198. The second is the classic Navy khakis which have suspender buttons, double button closure, watch pocket and very vintage like double belt loops on the right front. Interesting. It's $88 (could be a bit of competition for Bill's although it doesn't mention fullness of cut...)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Between this hat and Orvis, is there a return to the Teddy Roosevelt era aesthetic afoot? I hope so.

I saw those pants and I want to telephone them ot see if they are high-waisted.

As for the Norfolk jacket, I am going to wait to see what it looks like on Baggers first. ;) lol

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
As for the Norfolk jacket, I am going to wait to see what it looks like on Baggers first. ;) lol

scotrace said:
lol lol I had the same thought!!!

ALL RIGHT YOU TWO, I HEARD THAT!!

Actually, I was thinking that I might give the 1870s Cavalry-Style Fringe Jacket a swing. I'm always looking for something different. :p

As for the Campaign Hat, before I'd consider wearing a $148 wool felt hat that looks like it's the wrong color and sports a hat cord in a totally unmilitary color (AND is only sized S-M-L to boot!), I'd take a look at What Price Glory's M1911 Campaign Hat first. I have no idea what's made of, but it's probably sized and of the right color and construction. And you can also get the correct hat cords and chinstrap for it. The best part, it'll only come to about $85 total.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hey, is this thread still hanging around?! I thought you'd killed this, Baggers! :p

I like that this hat is making it into the catalog, though I would be very curious to see how many they sell. I've been watching a number of real campaign hats for a while, but it's lower on my priority list than others so I've watched them come and go.... Now I suppose the price will jump because it's gotten a tiny bit "cooler" because Peterman is carrying them. :eusa_doh:

Baggers

Practically Family
I guess it was only pinin' for the fiords. :D

Somehow, I don't think we have to worry about campaign hats going up in price because JP decided to jump into the water. Now if Samuel L. Jackson starts wearing one -- backwards -- then we may be in trouble!

Cheers!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Campaign hats? A trend whose time has come, and one I've supported, but campaign hats a generation earlier than J. Peterman's offering! Note my avatar.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Now if Samuel L. Jackson starts wearing one -- backwards -- then we may be in trouble!
How could we tell?! It would look the same!

Deanglen, I've been following your campaign hat threads with great interest, too. Great info there! Thanks for posting those pics and the info. I've been wanting to add an 1883 hat to my collection for some time. But then, I want to add a 1911, and a chocolate crush cap, and a Bombay bowler, and a... Just haven't gotten around to the 1883 yet! So many hats, so few dollars!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack, Amen to the cost factor! Truth be told, I like the look of the 1911 hat, especially the brim shaping that Peterman shows. One thing about those hats I've noticed in handling them and trying them on, is that they are very round, and I have a "long oval" head that makes them a little uncomfortable. The roundness helps keep the brim flat, and flatness seems to be a more common characteristic of that style. That's another reason I could see for Peterman's hat, it would probably fit me more comfortably. Thanks for posting the catalog listing!

Dean

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
So many of Mr. Peterman's offerings are so close to great. But flawed by something simple, like using the wrong fabric.

I'll be in Lexington in October and intend stopping by to set his sorry arse straight. :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scotrace said:
So many of Mr. Peterman's offerings are so close to great. But flawed by something simple, like using the wrong fabric.

That's a sore point for me.

I can't speak for the J. Peterman stuff sold today. (Matt Deckard tells me that it's much improved.) But back in the '90s, before the bankruptcy, Peterman's clothing was shoddily made. If the fabric was good, the sewing job was bad. If the sewing job was good (and that was rare), the fabric was bad. Depressing, because some of the items themselves (their cut and design) were practically impossible to find elsewhere.

It's hard to trust a company that shows ectoplasmic watercolors and scratchy sketches of its stuff, rather than sharp photos or precise drawings.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
It's hard to trust a company that shows ectoplasmic watercolor pictures and sketches of its stuff, rather than sharp photographs or precise drawings.
Very true. Though I like the watercolors and they make a beautiful catalog, it would be nice if a photograph was at least an option.

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Yes, it's an old thread... Does anyone have a *photo* of the Norfolk jacket? I love the Peterman catalog, I just wish they had actual photos on their website.

Ahhh heck! Now this in the wrong dept.!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
J Peterman

I agree with youse guys. Tell me do Americans find JPs overpriced?

He gets some great ideas but even on sale I find his stuff pricey.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
They are QUITE pricey, and here's why I say so:

Quality is worth the price. But of the things I've had from JP, and I have quite a bit from them (some bought at overstock or closeout prices), 75% of the stuff is so poorly made it either has a very short lifespan or is unusable.

The 5-whale cords: Lining pulled away at the waistband second wearing.
The Glenn Plaid pants: Braces buttons popped off, lining pulled away. Fabric is thin as can be.
The J. Peterman (Jefferson) shirt: The wooden buttons dissolved in the wash second washing.
The Gatsby Shirt ($80!): Very very shoddily made, thin fabric, no hand at all.
Hemmingway cap: Elastic is SO tight you can't wear it without causing a severe ridge on your forehead.

Flip side:
Military shirt is nice, heavy stuff, takes a good pressing (no longer offered).
Safari jacket has held up well and is a favorite. But it is still overpriced for what you're getting.
A quilted outer vest (no longer offered) is superb.
Duster is also a fine item, though certainly not worth the price.
(Women's) Glamour Pants are also quite nice. And being 100% silk twill, worth the money.
Two dresses from Peterman are nice, but stritcly Chadwick's level at Saks prices. Ditto one ladies riding jacket.
So my rule now is to only buy Peterman stuff when I can find it dirt cheap, never via the catalog!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
scotrace said:
The J. Peterman (Jefferson) shirt: The wooden buttons dissolved in the wash second washing.

I have one of the Peterman shirts, and it has held up fantastically well over time. The buttons are still in new condition. I wear it often.

It's one of the fustian models - don't know if that makes a difference. The "summer" one.

987297692_l.jpg

Everything I've gotten from Peterman has been of fine quality - a pair of khakis, two other linen shirts, and the cotton suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80