Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jacket: Simmons Bilt Detroit

samo

One of the Regulars
really like the jacket, You simplified it similarly as I would do :) By the way, did You maybe weight the jacket? I am really interested where in a weight scale I shall put Clayton leather?

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
really like the jacket, You simplified it similarly as I would do :) By the way, did You maybe weight the jacket? I am really interested where in a weight scale I shall put Clayton leather?

Samo,

I have not weighed the jacket but will do so when I get home from work today. Ostensibly, Clayton is relatively thin, compared to some of the other horsehides on offer. But don't let that lead you to Believe it is very light weight--it has got some heft.

I will get back to you with weight. Stand by.

samo

One of the Regulars
thanks K-Pants, i have got some Clayton leather swatches, but it is hard to imagine the jacket only from them.

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
thanks K-Pants, i have got some Clayton leather swatches, but it is hard to imagine the jacket only from them.

This jacket, according to my bathroom scale (which is not digital) looks to be a bit over 4 lb. Were it digital I could be more precise.

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
Why on earth weigh a jacket :confused: Surely if you love it, will you love it less if it weighs lighter or heavier. Thats the big problem with forums like this. TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

Well, I was asked so I felt it was not too hard to weigh it and provide an answer. I think a lot of information is good :). better too much info than not enough.

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
Nice looking jacket! I really admire the minimalist approach to this design...less is definitely more!
Looking forward to seeing some pics when it gets a bit of wear time.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I think weighing a jacket is good if it is intended to be worn as a MC jacket. If not it really makes no difference.
I can get that but would anyone take a (Angling type) spring balance into a shop to weigh a prospective purchase? Also a lot of the weight rests on your hip area or there about in the riding position. And then you fill the pockets with:- keys, phones, wallets, loose change, cigarettes, lighters etc add another pound or so.

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
Thank You very much, so it seems that its weight is close to goat leather.
Hmmm. When I weighed it I was surprised as it feels heavier than it weighed out. I'm pretty sure my scale is not woefully inaccurate, but when it comes to jackets, half a pound can be significant.

Wish I could be more helpful, though i would decline to purchase a large digital scale simply for this purpose.

Contact SB for more info on Clayton leather.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Beautiful jacket. Have fun breaking it in. But, having a Clayton jacket myself, be prepared for it to take a long time. Mine's a year old and still stands on it's own. But I love it.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why on earth weigh a jacket :confused: Surely if you love it, will you love it less if it weighs lighter or heavier. Thats the big problem with forums like this. TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

Weighing a jacket will give people an idea how thick the leather is compared to others they may own.....I have no idea what the hell Clayton Leather is, but with the weight of a jacket it can give me an idea if its like 3oz steer or shinki, whether its more suitable as a street jacket or a motorcycle jacket. I think that information can be useful, more for someone considering ordering it rather than swaying your own opinion as to whether you like your own existing jacket or not.

If people want to know how much it weighs...let then ask imo, it doesn't hurt me. Also, if I'm spending $1500 on a sight unseen jacket, I want as much info as I can get my hands on, there is never too much information.

K-Pants

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket. Have fun breaking it in. But, having a Clayton jacket myself, be prepared for it to take a long time. Mine's a year old and still stands on it's own. But I love it.

Mine is not 'stand on its own stiff' but it is no slouch. A year, you say? Haha ok I will keep that in mind. It's like wearing a coat of licorice--impossibly black with a dull shine.

But MRB, how could such thin horsehide stay stiff for a full year of steady use? It seems odd.

Last edited:
Mine is not 'stand on its own stiff' but it is no slouch. A year, you say? Haha ok I will keep that in mind. It's like wearing a coat of licorice--impossibly black with a dull shine.

But MRB, how could such thin horsehide stay stiff for a full year of steady use? It seems odd.
The oils in it will keep it that way. When it's cold it'll be stiff. When it's warm it'll relax. It was below freezing in Chicago today and I wore mine for a minute and quickly switched to my Vanson. Was a tin man in CXL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ