Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New job for your vintage lifestyle?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
If I had a choice I´d run a store for vintage clothes (and would probably be my best customer) or run a store for repros. I could even be my own model for that *lol* Or I´d love to design clothes or become a graphic designer... But for now I just try to make a living as a receptionist. But the next time I´m unemployed I´ll inquire for the requirements to study fashion design.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have done everything from teaching Classical Dance to working on a reception desk!

Nothing makes you happy unless you have a passion for something you sell or do.

I now am a part-time consultant at a bespoke London jeweller where I get to help design lovely things and sell them to a whole variety of customers. I love diamonds and sparkly things and whilst running in and out of a busy workshop all day doesn't allow for me to wear a twin set and heels I genuinely love what I do and all the people I work with.

My all consuming passion of needlework/knitting/quilting/crochet etc.etc I fit in on my days off.

If I could do anything I wanted I would be a wealthy London property developer dressed in killer vintage heels 24 hours a day!!!:)

KatieD

New in Town
Working for yourself

You only live once, and spending 40 hours a week (or more) doing something you don't enjoy seems crazy to me.

I started up What Katie Did, a faux vintage lingerie company, with a £100 ($175) stocking order on my credit card and after 6 years of hard slog was back to earning what I was when I gave up my day job!

It's true, it is extremely hard work and you will probably have to survive on less than what you earn at the moment for a at least a while. Before I set up the business I spoke to my father about it and he said - you don't have a mortgage, husband or kids to worry about, so this is best time in your life to go for it. He was right. I doubt if now (with a mortgage, husband and baby) I'd have the courage to do it. Plus, the older you get the more sensible you get so making that change gets harder and harder.

If you do give it a go, you aren't completely without a safety net as you can do temp work if times are slow (and they were for the first year - I worked as a temp full time as a secretary, worked the shop at the weekends and packed orders in the evening - but remember, this was starting from zero with just £100, if you had more start up money and/or contacts it might make a difference).

Another thing is - you have to be prepared to do everything yourself and learn how to do it. If you, for example, can keep a good record of your accounts then there'll be less work for your accountant and you might not even need one.

If you're happy not to have a life for a year, then go for it. But it does need an awful lot of commitment in time and effort (and it will be worth it in the end!)

Katie

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Hi Katie! I always run across your name/line on MySpace! Welcome... I think it's great your passion worked out for you!

moomin82

New in Town
wow

Hi Katie, really glad for you. I feel inspired to start a business of my own, after all they say nobody ever got rich from a 9-5! :)

Did you come from a fashion design background before? Just wondering if it was difficult to get your products made at first.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
KatieD said:
You only live once, and spending 40 hours a week (or more) doing something you don't enjoy seems crazy to me.

...I doubt if now (with a mortgage, husband and baby) I'd have the courage to do it. Plus, the older you get the more sensible you get so making that change gets harder and harder.

My problem is that I am in limbo dealing with both of these dilemmas! I am extremely bored with my job although, on paper it is something that is what I would want to be doing! I get a lot of "grass is always greener" syndrome when I see friends of mine with jobs that actually *help* people, like my art therapist friend, who works with people with dementia, or even my boyfriend who draws comics and has fans and something to show for the time he spends working. As a marketing copywriter I do feel like I'm not doing anything worthwhile, and I do spend 35 hours a week doing it. But it makes me quite a good living. So I think I am resigning myself to earning a good amount so I can dedicate my spare time to pursuing my interests and making a difference (like fostering for the local cat rescue).

I don't have a husband or kids but I do have a mortgage and a boyfriend who I love very much, but who I am pretty much supporting financially while he is on the path to success in his field. I would love to give it up and start a business, or embark on a completely different career path (say...forensics...why yes I do watch too many detective programmes!) but I literally can't. And I'm not a chancer either so I could never go freelance. Oh wells. They say it's never too late to follow your dreams (if I knew what they were!) so maybe when the man is a world famous artist selling sketches for $2000 a go I can do something else with my life!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I work for the fire service, working in the office with the community safety team so i get to do some fun things. The dress code for non-uniformed staff is casual/smart so I can pretty much wear what I like but I don't usually bother with the seamed stockings and the like!

Naama

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I don't have a husband or kids but I do have a mortgage and a boyfriend who I love very much, but who I am pretty much supporting financially while he is on the path to success in his field. I would love to give it up and start a business, or embark on a completely different career path (say...forensics...why yes I do watch too many detective programmes!) but I literally can't. And I'm not a chancer either so I could never go freelance. Oh wells. They say it's never too late to follow your dreams (if I knew what they were!) so maybe when the man is a world famous artist selling sketches for $2000 a go I can do something else with my life!

You know, I'm crazy, maybe you shouldn't listen to me, but I would tell you to follow your heart as far as it's possible for you and do wat you want to do, don't care about security and don't give up your life for you're boyfriends career (because that is really crazy!)!! I mean, it's ok to support him, but if that means that you have to give up your own dreams, that's not ok.

Naama

KatieD

New in Town
Hi Katiemakeup - let me know what your myspace addy is.

Moomin82 - I don't have a traditional fashion background. I always wanted to be a fashion designer but never felt I had the talent or confidence to do it whilst at school. After college I ended up working (in 96), in a round-a-bout way, at the London fetish store Skin Two where I discovered fully fashioned stockings and corsets. I have always made my own clothes so had a little experience but to begin with we bought everything in. It's only when we lost a few factories (Lady Marlene in particular) that we had to go into production ourselves and as we're working with small quantities it is quite a nightmare to put everything together at an affordable price.

Katie

GOK

One Too Many
Katie!!!!!! Fancy seeing you here! Isn't it lovely? I'm loving it already; everyone seems to be very friendly, and talk about talented.....wow! :D

To get back on topic, my love of vintage fashion has certainly had an impact on my career and I am very fortunate in that because I work for myself, I can wear pretty much what I want. And I make sure that when meeting with clients, I wear my own creations!

moomin82

New in Town
Hi Katie - your story is very interesting since you started up with very little money. I was reading online about the founder of Besame cosmetics, who reportedly invested 1million of her own money to start up her company. Wow! Not many people can say they have that to start with lol

Fleur - your job also sounds creative and fun, but I know how you feel when you say it isn't fulfilling. After qualifying as a designer and seeing what is it actually like full-time, I didn't enjoy it. It was sort of like overkill for me. Still trying to figure out what I want to do, I hope I find something fulfilling before it is too late :D

Generally I have also been advised that it is more rewarding to do ethical careers, ie. jobs that help people. Like you I live with my boyfriend who is an animator, and there is not a great deal of work around for him. So sometimes I feel I have to have the steadier job. But I won't give up my dreams for him lol

Good luck,
Cheryl

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
moomin82 said:
Generally I have also been advised that it is more rewarding to do ethical careers, ie. jobs that help people. Like you I live with my boyfriend who is an animator, and there is not a great deal of work around for him. So sometimes I feel I have to have the steadier job. But I won't give up my dreams for him lol

Good luck,
Cheryl
I don't have a vintage job. At the moment I am an unemployed dental hygienist. Do to an illness, I haven't been able to work for a while, but I'm hoping to start up again in the coming new year. I too have been advised about ethical careers, jobs that help people. My job as a hygienist can be viewed as such a job. I mean, I'm taking money for my services, but when I am working, I'm helping the overall health of my patients. While in dental hygiene school for four years I did many internships at clinics that provide free dental care for the poor, mentally ill, and physically challenged. I must admit, it was tough work. A lot of the patients were apprehensive about sitting in the dental chair. Many of them were in poor overall health, so their dental care was at the bottom of the list. Most if not all of my patients did not brush their teeth at all. So, my job was made even more difficult, for the care that they required to bring their mouths back into good standing was long and arduous. Then, I had to spend time teaching these patients the importance of keeping their mouths clean, and that if they didn't their entire bodies, especially their hearts would be affected. Of course, they probably didn't listen. They saw their free cleanings as just a way to clean out their mouths, and usually didn't do any home care at all for they figured that in three months that come back and have another complete overhaul. So, I was trying to help these people, but it wasn't rewarding, for no matter how much information I gave them on the links between oral health and overall health, they just didn't listen. They'd come back in three to six months, mouths as dirty as ever, often with some sort of infection, like an abscess, which would require even a higher level of care.
The one time I did reap the benefit of helping those in need was when I did a six month residency at Children's Hospital in Boston. I got to meet a lot of very courageous kids, some of who were terminal. I know I wasn't giving them the help that they got from their team of doctors. But, it was nice to be able to help them with their oral health issues. Just spending time with them was humbling.
Dental Hygiene is a very steady job. That is what I was looking for when I changed my career. It can be rewarding, when you actually have a compliant patient and see someone's oral health go from really bad to excellent. It's a little difference to most people, but it is rewarding to have a compliant patient who actually cares about what I've done for them.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Sweet Leilani said:
I'm a museum curator. I actually do get to "play" with all sorts of vintage (20th Century) stuff on a daily basis, especially since I run an aviation museum. But for the most part, it's paperwork and research- cataloguing, writing exhibit text, etc. The exhibits are probably the most fun part- putting objects into their context to show people how life was like. Right now, I'm working on a couple things- a small WWII exhibit on the China/Burma/India Theatre (Flying the "Hump"), a larger exhibit on the autogiro (1920's-30's), and a stand-alone case on Women in Aviation (primarily 1900-1960). So yes, I do indulge my obsession for the past in my career all the time. However, the pay isn't great and it does require a graduate degree (=student loan debt).

What was your graduate (and undergrad) training for this? I was watching 1900 House the other night and decided being a museum curator was my new dream job!

moomin82

New in Town
Hi Daisy,

It does sound rewarding to help people. It sounds as though it can be demanding at times but there is a downside to any job. I agree it makes all the difference when you feel that someone appreciates your work. :D

Has anyone ever done those career tests that give you suggestions?

For my results I got many clerical type of jobs but also holistic careers such as aromatherapist, massage therapist, beauty therapist etc. I love health/beauty so this would probably suit me!! But I plan to save from my office job for at least a yr so I can retrain to do something else.

Some people tell me a "dream job" doesn't exist but it is inspiring to hear it IS possible to turn your passion into your main job. :cool2:

Now i'm off to try and do pin curls!!...

olive bleu

One Too Many
I struggle constantly with the tug-of-war between doing something that i can't wait to get out of bed for and doing what is responsible. To me the greatest luxury would be to just be able to something because i love it.I am working in a bank now and i really cannot see me leaving anytime soon.My husband is disabled and can no longer work and we have 2 young children. I have excellent medical benefits which cover a lot of my husbands expenses and leaving is just not an option.I am absolutely bored out of my mind, but the nice part is that i can wear my vintage clothes and as long as i am presentable, it really doesn't matter.In my spare time I am doing a lot of research, alot of sewing and adapting patterns and my dream would be to run an online vintage store/ repro business.This way I can still work part-time at the bank. still get the benefits, and spend at least half of my day doing something i love.But the other side to this is that i love my family and am very thankful that i have a decent paying job and can afford to feed & clothe my children.I am grounded enough to realize that to many in North America THIS is the ultimate dream.

moomin82

New in Town
Hi Olive,

Yes, a decent paying job with good overall package (benefits etc.) is a dream in itself. After graduating last year it is one of my dreams - at least for the short term! (Otherwise I will never be able to own my own apartment/house!)

I struggle constantly with the tug-of-war between doing something that i can't wait to get out of bed for and doing what is responsible
- I can definitely relate to that. I have worked on both sides of the fence, creative and conventional. Whilst office work can be dull I do like being able to 'switch off' at the end of the day, having regular working hours and the stability. Overall I found it gave a better work/life balance. I will also be able to save up for the future.

It is also nice to be able to actually afford to pursue your outside interests..

Good luck with your vintage store. It would be good to see a lot more of them around. :)

Emer

One of the Regulars
Because of Hubby being in the military I bounce around to different jobs. Right now I'm a bank teller, before this I was a marketing assistant, before that I was a health care manager. My ultimate goal is to be a stay-at-home-wife, so what I do now doesn't really matter for what I want to do. I've told Jason that the next job may be a bit more "vintage," just working as a secretary or something since that's what most women did back in the day.

palespider

One of the Regulars
I recently put my self in a 5 year plan to get my life together to open up a little store that themed to 30-60's fashion. Something similar you might see on the web but an actual walk in store front with *hopes* of a three or four chair salon in the back and maybe even a little photo studio to do shoots in if people want. Iv been saving my pennies and slowly slowly getting help to work on a plan to present a bank for a loan my little dream might need to be put on hold even longer due market mess. *crosses fingers* hopefully though someday things will get better. At the moment i must stick out my too boring office job but its not all bad. Its warm and i can wear cute styles to work with out being cold, not on my feet all day nor do i have to sit down constantly. its a good middle... just.. hum drum. leaves me tons of time to cruz this site and many other to help get me on my way for my goal some day.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Well, I am a full-time freelance makeup artist. While it is a great job and I have met and work with lots of great people and have been a part of some wonderful projects, it would be so hard for someone who hasn't built up their client list.

Freelancing is harder (in my opinion) than a steady 9-5. With a "regular" job, you know how much you will be getting every paycheck and can plan your life accordingly. With freelancing you have to make sure you set money aside from every job to hold you over when it gets slow.

I am fortunate as my boyfriend makes more than enough money for the both of us and I don't have to break my back finding extra work in such a competitive field. One thing that will set you apart from "the rest" is advertising. I never knew how true the saying "you have to spend money to make money" was. You constantly have to put money into advertising and such to stay on top.

My advice to anyone who wants to take a stab at working for themselves is to save up enough money to live at least a year on and try it out. If things don't work out you can always look for another job and you will feel like you at least gave it a shot :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails