Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain Obvious' Genius Cheapo Hanger Hack for Jackets

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Here before you gentlemen, I offer you a peak inside the most genius invention this side of the ThighMaster: Boys, this is my secret, personally engineered, cheap guy hack for jacket hangers. Instead of patenting it and making millions so I can be wealthy, I say, "Screw that!!! I'm gonna share it with my fellow Loungers for FREE!!!!!"

This insanely complex jacket hack allows for you to hang your jacket without fear of it developing "points" or otherwise becoming misshaped because of its weight hanging on commonly used hangers. This is beneficial for leather and non leather jackets but super especially leather jackets :p

Ok here goes:

After years of development using wind tunnels, zero gravity testing, monkeys, stealth technology and the like, I stumbled upon the concept that purchasing Pipe Insulation from the Home Depot and using zip ties to affix it to wooden hangers also purchased at Home Depot can result in a hanger that is effective and cheap. Sure you can urinate your dinero away on some FANCY SCHMANCY over priced heavy duty hangers if you have one or two nice jackets. But when your collection hits triple digits, maybe you'd rather have a realistic and reasonable hanger you can DIY on the cheap. Am I right???? Of course I am!!!!!

SO, look no further. Here's the skinny:

1.) Hangers--Wooden Hangers in the Closet Organizing section of Home Depot come in I believe 5 paks and they are cheap. Are they the BEST hanger you've ever held in your hand??? I'll be honest: I don't know what you've held in your hand. But the hangers are OK. Not supremely excellent--but workable and better than plastic or wired basic hangers. You can also use higher end jacket or suit hangers plastic or wood you already own. See that, savin you EVEN MORE money already!! Hot Damn!!

2.) Pipe Insulation-- Grey Foam pipe insulation in the Plumbing section of Home Depot comes in 6 ft lengths for cheap. It comes in different diameters and I believe I used 3/4". I used what fit best on the hanger which when you think about it, is just genius on my part--no gettin around that :rolleyes:. Spoiler Alert: You end up cutting the pipe insulation in about 10" lengths and use 2 per hanger.

3.) Small Zip Ties--(Not the big ones you use in your Sex Dungeon) These can be purchased anywhere but Home Depot has them in various amounts in the Electrical department. You only need them to be big enough to tightly bind the foam pipe insulation around the hanger--you'll cut off the rest so get the smallest ones you can use.

Directions:

Ok, the deal is, you cut the pipe insulation into 10" (10 inch) pieces with scissors. Then you take one piece of the foam, and one hanger. Now find roughly on the descending angled part of the hanger where the thickness of the wood thins to a consistent size. Slip the hanger into the pipe insulation starting at this point and insert the entire hanger letting the foam insulation extend beyond the end of the hanger 2.25-2.5". It should fit snugly.

Then, making sure to keep the opening in the pipe insulation on the underside of the wood of the hanger, wrap a zip tie around the pipe insulation 2-3 inches down from the top end. Take care to ensure that your zip tie lock area, once cinched, will end up on the underside of the hanger close to or on the slit opening of the insulation. This will ensure when you cut off the zip tie, you don't leave a sharp barb at on top of the hanger to dig into your jacket (See, ain't my first Rodeo o_O). Now once you have cinched your zip tie to the Max, you can clip off the remaining plastic from the zip tie. Repeat this process on the other symmetrical side of the hanger and then, have a beer because you're a freakin' LEGEND!!!!;)

This hanger might LOOK kinda over sized and weird. But looks aren't everything (thank god:confused:). The design is such that the soft foam envelopes the hard surfaces of the hanger that would normally dig into a heavy garment like leather and cause it to stretch and permanently misshape. The Key though is the revolutionary over extension of the foam beyond the hanger end which ensures that shoulder areas will be properly, softly and roundly shaped while hanging mimicking the fit the jacket would have around a human shoulder like yours and mine as much as possible--while still not taking up a wide berth in your closet.

Your jacket will fit better because its hung and stored better and in a shape closer to that of your body. Now you don't have to be "that guy with the pointy ill fitting leather jacket" that everybody in the bar/club is snickering about (you just KNOW people must snicker at that kinda thing).

Please see the attached photos that were taken during production of the final prototype and are the only photos known to exist in captivity.

Am I a genius?? Well I am in an exclusive club for geniuses. Not bragging or anything.....but I am a member of Mentos its only for geniuses and you gotta be invited........so.......:cool:

Now go.......Go and make these hangers and teach others to make these hangers and spread happiness around the world. Like the cure for Polio, I am giving my genius invention to humanity itself. This is the gift I give to you all
Angle Close Up Hanger.JPG
Full Hanger.JPG
Hanger partial Vertical view.JPG
Revolutionary Foam Extension Hanger pic.JPG
brothers.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? You mean I didn't invent these!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?:( GMTA for sure!!!! lol

Well then......I may not have invented foam covered hangers. But let me tell you guys about this lil song I wrote. I call it "Hotel California". Its about a little joint I once stayed at in Mexico. I'll upload it when I get a chance for you guys :cool:

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I went to look up a funny pool noodle video to add; now it looks like the rest of my night will be spent watching "Crazy Russian Hacker" vids..

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I went to look up a funny pool noodle video to add; now it looks like the rest of my night will be spent watching "Crazy Russian Hacker" vids..
Oh dude........ that guy is addicting man. You see how he opens a bag of potato chips??? He demonstrates that the rigidity we live by in just doing everything the way we were taught is pointless because there are these other ways to do things better if you just start from absolute zero and logically think things through. Some of his tricks I have seen others do first but mostly he has some pretty clever hacks.

So binge on the Russian!!!! Evening decently spent I say!!!!!!!!!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
mm02rPU.jpg

ECbEF0X.jpg

I just bought 7 of these including postal fee for a total cost of $5, seriously this is my go to hanger from now on, only 15grams each, sturdy, nice shoulder support, black, dirt cheap compared to wooden hanger.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I'm in Mensa myself , but I'd rather be in "Mentos"...

On second thought , to paraphrase Groucho Marx

" I would not want to be a member of any club that would have me !"....

PS good idea(s) on the jacket hangers..I used to "scam" genuine "HD" hangers from the local Harley shop left behind when jacket buyers "rode away" from the dealership in their newly purchased HD branded jackets leaving the hangers in the shop.
Harley-Davidson-Jacket-Hangers.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I'm in Mensa myself , but I'd rather be in "Mentos"...

On second thought , to paraphrase Groucho Marx

" I would not want to be a member of any club that would have me !"....

PS good idea(s) on the jacket hangers..I used to "scam" genuine "HD" hangers from the local Harley shop left behind when jacket buyers "rode away" from the dealership in their newly purchased HD branded jackets leaving the hangers in the shop. View attachment 169602

I'm pretty sure that Mensas are like some kind of candy or mints or something of the sort o_O Whereas Mentos is a club for rare people of very high intelligence and a number of us even have Photogenic Memories. We are fairly special individuals as you may well imagine.......

patrick_b

One of the Regulars
mm02rPU.jpg

ECbEF0X.jpg

I just bought 7 of these including postal fee for a total cost of $5, seriously this is my go to hanger from now on, only 15grams each, sturdy, nice shoulder support, black, dirt cheap compared to wooden hanger.

I like those. I buy the wide wood hangers but as a size 44-46 they are rarely perfect. What’s the brand name on these? I’ll try to find a US source.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I dont see any brand stamped on it, it came with pants bar and the hook separated need to be assembled.

https://tokopedia.link/4DAQGPZHR
This was the link to the online shop i bought it from, dunno if this product is made locally or imported from china, if the latter then most likely you can find it in place like aliexpress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB