Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Johnson Leather Custom Half Belt Pictorial

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
My new JL custom half belt arrived safe & sound and it did not disappoint. I spent many, many months going back and forth with Alan to work out all of the details. Through it all he was always patient, helpful and a pleasure to work with. Johnson Leathers allows customers to provide their own hides if they choose to do so and after comparing numerous swatches I decided to pursue this option and order my hides directly through the folks at the Horween Tannery. I outlined this process earlier this week. It was not the most straightforward of processes, but in the end, I'm really thrilled with the end result. The hide I chose is the 3 oz. brown Chromexcel front quarter horsehide. This hide provides a nice contrast to the Black overdyed CXL steerhide that I chose for the first jacket that I ordered from JL. This time around I chose a wool lining that Alan had on hand and it makes for a pretty warm jacket. I wore it out last night with the temperature just above freezing and was quite warm with a cotton sweater underneath. With this lining, I won't need to layer as much underneath as with my other jacket, even though the hide on that one is quite a bit thicker.

There was a considerable amount of unused hide left over which Alan returned along with the jacket. I might just have to learn how to make wallets now. You can see the hide setting on top of the jacket in the first image below. The Chromexcel hide has great depth to it and I believe this is what Aero uses in their "Oil Pull" jackets. The tone of the hide changes quite a bit depending on lighting conditions making it hard to capture the exact look in photos. It looks best in the sunshine, but that's scarce around the Pacific Northwest in the winter time so I came as close as I could to showing what it looks like indoors. For more information on the Chromexcel tannage visit Horween's blog. I miscalculated the total cost earlier in the week as I ended up spending $950 all together this time around. That's a huge hunk of change in my book, but relatively speaking, that's far less than a top notch suit. This certainly qualifies as a top notch jacket and in my case it's sure to see much more use than a suit would.

Once again, a big thanks to Alan and the rest of the folks at Johnson Leather. They are perhaps the most accommodating business I've ever encountered and they have proven to be capable of producing exactly what I've been looking for not just once, but twice now. I can't recommend them highly enough. Just as importantly, thanks to all the others who have shared their JL jackets on TFL. If it wasn't for all of you, I probably would never have found out just what Johnson Leathers is capable of.

Here are some pics of the Half Belt. They pretty much sum up the jacket better than I'm capable of describing it in words.

jlHalfBeltAndHide01_zps49755b95.jpg

jlFrontLarge01_zpsecccf008.jpg

jlHalfBeltBackLarge01_zps772de625.jpg

jlHalfBeltLiningLarge01_zpseefa7a43.jpg

jlHalfBeltFront01_zps460b7112.jpg

jlHalfBeltFront02_zpscff3a1a4.jpg

jlHalfBeltBack01_zpsbf5577f3.jpg

jlHalfBeltSide01_zps084ca0ab.jpg

1911 Man

A-List Customer
OK, OK, you've officially convinced me to go through Johnson Leather for my next jacket. Looks great, fit looks spot on. I think that jacket in black with a wind flap and zip sleeves is exactly what I have in mind. Sadly, it won't be for several months.

Question, is that collar standard? It looks a little bigger than the m-200 collars I've seen posted on this forum. I like it.

frussell

One Too Many
Excellent jacket and looks like a great fit. It may seem like a "hunk of change," but I only paid 15 or so dollars less than that for my Aero Long Half Belt, and you ended up with a well-fitting jacket that is exactly what you ordered. I wish I had known about Johnson when I was shopping around. While I'm waiting for my re-do from the new/old management of Aero, I have to say Johnson Leathers is looking pretty good. If I wasn't tied to Aero due to the remake/steerhide situation, I'd have an order in with JL right now. That's a beautiful jacket, and I think your time, effort and cost were well worth it. Congrats, Frank.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Very nice - mine is cowhide but has Alan's same attention to detail. What I really like is the length. I can only imagine how pleased you must be.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
All I can say is "WOW". Perfect. I wish my half belt fit as well. I like it but the side pockets puff out. Your's is P E R F E C T!

Worf

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I cannot praise the folks at Johnson Leathers enough. They are skilled craftsmen and nice people to work with (there isn't any drama, they appreciate your business and they have pretty amazing turn around times). I was in the shop this week and asked about your jacket Forest (I was hoping to see it finished before it shipped - Alan had showed me the hides from Horween and I had seen Alan's pics that you posted). Alan was a little taken aback that I had his picture of your jacket on my iPhone - I think he was more embarrassed that his not-so-great pictures were out there for all to see!

Enjoy that beautiful jacket!

1911, I'm sitting on at least one jacket's worth of black Horween FQHH. Send me a PM when you get close, maybe I can save you a few sheckels on the leather.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Thanks all.

1911, the collar is actually a bit smaller than the standard M-200L.

Frank, I hope that you'll be just as pleased once your wait is over. I'm guessing you will be and hang in there.

Seb, the length is exactly what I was looking for and I was fortunate as the stock test fit M-200L that it was based off of had just the length I was looking for. I had gone back to review the original pictures that you posted of your latest jacket but couldn't find them. I liked the back design of your jacket as well and thought about that as an option at one point. Alan mentioned your project a few times when we spoke.

Worf, I've looked at the pics of your jacket and all I recall was a fantastic looking jacket. I certainly didn't notice pockets sticking out, and I'm guessing no one else does either when you pass by on the sidewalk.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I cannot praise the folks at Johnson Leathers enough. They are skilled craftsmen and nice people to work with (there isn't any drama, they appreciate your business and they have pretty amazing turn around times). I was in the shop this week and asked about your jacket Forest (I was hoping to see it finished before it shipped - Alan had showed me the hides from Horween and I had seen Alan's pics that you posted). Alan was a little taken aback that I had his picture of your jacket on my iPhone - I think he was more embarrassed that his not-so-great pictures were out there for all to see!

Enjoy that beautiful jacket!

Thanks HorseHide. Your spot on about the lack of drama and other attributes exhibited by Alan and crew at Johnson Leathers. I'm sure that was an entertaining conversation. Alan was a bit worried about sending me the photos and assured me that the jacket looked much better in person - he was right. The thing is, even though they were able to turn it around in a little over a month after receiving the leather, I had been talking with Alan about this project for so long that I was really fired up to receive the photos. I was determined to try and do their work better justice after receiving the jacket and therefore all the pics this time around. Alan knows that the images on their current website don't really do their work justice. On the other hand, if they ever do finish up a new site complete with new photos, I can't help but imagine that the demand for their jackets will ramp up quite a bit. For now, they're pretty much a hidden gem as far as I'm concerned and I don't think I would have ever discovered them if it hadn't have been for The Fedora Lounge. My wife and I have talked about taking a trip to San Francisco one of these days and if we do, I'm certainly going to drop by and introduce myself to Alan and Craig.

Out of curiosity: given your user name along with being located in Chicago have you ever visited the Horween tannery?

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Yep that sure is a beaut. Thanks for the pics

It would appear Alan and Ken have a difference of opinion on leather strips to reinforce the hem. Is there anything you can tell us about the one on yours?

All the best
Schitz

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Very nice jacket and fit.

Interesting that you say this might be what Aero market as oil pull. I have an oil pull HWM which does look very like this, and was slightly tacky to the touch at first. It was also very thick due to all the oil pumped into it and stood up on its own longer than a standard FQHH.

I still have the samples from a few years ago and the oiled effect is very noticeable on the back where it darkens the hide.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
@Worf: have you thought of asking Aero to fit zips on the pockets? I know somebody else has done that on the FL to flatten the pockets. Don't have the problem myself, but I think over time the pockets 'gape' a bit.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
@Worf: have you thought of asking Aero to fit zips on the pockets? I know somebody else has done that on the FL to flatten the pockets. Don't have the problem myself, but I think over time the pockets 'gape' a bit.

Yeah that's on my "to do" list. Now I see why folks sometimes get zips put in em. I should do it now while it's too cold to wear the dang thing. It's Irvin weather again today... hight teens... low 20's.

Worf

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
It would appear Alan and Ken have a difference of opinion on leather strips to reinforce the hem. Is there anything you can tell us about the one on yours?

Not much to tell, when I ordered my first jacket from JL it simply came with the strip at the bottom as I hadn't thought to ask. This time I asked them to include the leather strip once again which Alan said he had already planned on doing.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a JL half belt and an Aero. I think the JL is better made. And the pattern is better too. If I lift up my arms in the Aero, the whole jacket rises up to my head. I do the same with the JL and the jacket sits where it's supposed to be - around my torso.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn