Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
Ooohhh. Here is the introduction page! I have already posted a few times in the powder room, but I guess I could formally introduce myself here. My name is Felicia. I am a 20 year old college student at Indiana University. I found the forum because I was specifically looking for like-minded people. I don't really have a lot of friends in real life. I strongly dislike most people my age. I think they all need to grow up and realize there is more to life than getting drunk every night and sleeping with as many people as they can! I have old morals. I'm engaged at the age of 20. I guess that is also kind of retro. The whole marrying young thing. Anyways, I am a 50's gal. I love New Look style dresses. I have several. I am looking to add to my wardrobe, but I'm supposed to be a broke college kid. (I did just spend $150 on a new dress and $133 over at What Katie Did...) Recently I am looking to completely flip my wardrobe to all vintage or reproduction. I am also looking to go all out with hair and makeup daily!

Mickey85

New in Town
Hi guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself after lurking around for a couple months. I found this site through the Art of Manliness site, and kept coming back. Though I was born 35 years too late for the 1940s, I was raised with a healthy respect for things that, while not necessarily vintage, are well made, and repairable. My father taught me carpentry and mechanics, I went further than that and rebuilt an 83 Oldsmobile for my first car (at age 14), then later did an engine rebuild in a daily driver on weekends and evenings. I'm rather adept at electrical wiring and troubleshooting, and like to work with my hands.

So naturally, I became an English teacher. Soon, I became frustrated with the public school system, and am currently teaching in a residential treatment facility, where I've been since 2010.

Overall, though I certainly don't shun the new and innovative, a book will always be preferable to an "e-reader", incandescents will be in most of my light sockets, and with the exception of my Vibram Fivefingers, my shoes will be leather and polished.

Glad to be here!

Streetcar Noir

New in Town
Greetings all. I'm new in town but have been lurking around for a few months. Thought I'd finally join so I could start getting in on some of the classifieds. I'm pretty new to vintage clothing and style in general, but something just clicked and I was tired of wearing out the typical trash clothes at some of the department stores. I've always looked back on the Golden Era with great interest. I live in a 1927 tudor cottage in Salt Lake City that I renovated and I've been decorating in period furniture and fixtures which has been fun.

So once I got the house finished I decided to go a step further and remodel my wardrobe in vintage style. I bought a real pair of shoes for the first time in my life that actually fit my EEE width feet. From the second I stepped into my new AE's I had no idea shoes could be so comfortable. I was searching for more info on AE stuff and that's how I found the FL. So I've been having fun hitting up ebay, some second hand shops, and consignment shops looking for deals. I haven't quite pieced together my first complete vintage outfit yet but I have found some nice overcoats, a fantastic almost new looking pair of THICK pinstripe wool trousers with a high rise and braces buttons from the 40's, some Brooks Brothers cotton herringbone shirts, a bespoke fedora from JW Hats, and I just won an ebay auction for two 1930's braces so once I get those all I'll need for the first complete outfit is a more vintage looking shirt. The herringbone shirts have been in my weekend arsenal that I've been pairing with my new Redwings and some Levi's.

The thing that I've liked most about what I've found so far from the vintage clothing is, it's higher quality and really seems to fit me better and it just feels better. I'm a heavy guy and the low rise trousers generally available now just doesn't complement a bigger guy, stuff just didn't fit right and continuously wore out. But here's the thing, I've lost 15 pounds and almost 2 inches and just feeling better and I think looking better, and I'm having fun. So I'll just hush for now I don't want to talk anyone's ears off.

CubanPete

New in Town
Greetings from sunny Miami!

Hello ladies and gents!

I used to be on this forum many years ago, and for the life of me I can't remember my username (much less my password). Anyway, I signed back up and I'd like to contribute to discussions and learn all about bygone eras as I once did. Since I was last here, I'm proud to say that I've expanded my old fashioned wardrobe quite a bit, my vintage wardrobe a little bit, and I have applied a lot of the knowledge that I gained here to my purchases and searches. I'm an old soul as I'm sure all of you are (otherwise we wouldn't all be here). I have a love and affinity for things from the 1920s through the early 1960s with my favorite era spanning from the late 40s to the late 50s. I also happen to be an avid musician, car lover, cigar smoker, rum drinker, and general misbehaver!:) I look forward to reconnecting with what I remember as a fine community of great folks. Thanks! :cool: - Cuban Pete

visforvictoryrolls

New in Town
Hello everyone! I'm Julia. I've been forever enamored with the 1920's-1940's. I work at an antique mall in the Chicagoland area, a WWII "reenactress", and am a cosmetology student. I'm glad I finally found an internet niche to fit into somewhere. It seemed like the blogging world leaned into the Rockabilly which is great, but just not for me. And anything "retro" was focused more 50's-60's which, eh, does not stimulate me much. I love authentic 30's and 40's hair, makeup, and wardrobe. What a relief to find somewhere that primarily just focuses on that!

Tiger_Rag

New in Town
Perusing the Lounge today and decided to break the ice after being in lurker mode. After a brief stint in the military, I picked up a hobby collecting anything vintage Americana(pop culture especially). I fell in love with the kitsch culture that ruled the 90s. But vintage threads became my real passion amassing quite a collection. Although older now and a bit jaded, I still dig vintage.

Last edited:

Dr. Lucky

New in Town
I've been lurking around here for a while but finally registered last month to buy something in the Classifieds. I've been trying to participate a bit since then, but the wealth of knowledge people have around here leaves me with little to add.

I've always been a "hat guy" but I never knew much about really nice hats until I started browsing these boards. For the past couple of years I've mostly been wearing newsboy caps or my functional but unimpressive brown Henschel fedora. I've had an interest in clothes and style from the first half of the 20th century, but I'm way too big to have much luck with vintage (6'2" with a 7 3/4 hat size). These boards are introducing me to a lot of nice hats and some modern clothes with old-school charm.

Beyond that, I'm an attorney in Sacramento and a very happy father.

Cherry picker

New in Town
New,old member.Used to post on here a few years back but became active on so many other forums i forgot about this one (I am more into clothing than hats).I couldn't remember my user name so have had to re-register.Looking forward to contributing to detail discussions and learning some stuff too.

Hep Caterina

New in Town
Good Morning All,

Just a quick note to introduce myself, I recently became smitten with the "era" since Im not really liking the era we are currently living in. My name is Jane and I live in central Louisiana. Im currently looking for any other like mindeds in my area to start a group to host dinner dances, movie nights, fairs, vintage car shows and the like. Single and unmarried, I own a boarding and training facility for horses- we give riding lessons and board and train horses. If anyone else out there happens to be in my area, hit me up and lets talk!

dobroruka

New in Town
Hi everybody,

I am new here as well, nice meeting you all! I love cardigans and 40's style, Bogart, film noirs and the likes. I am also a huge fan of cool jazz and of some boppers, like Dexter Gordon.

I hope to meet like-minded spirits here - hope to come more often!

Yours,

D.

TheGrey

New in Town
Hello, everyone.

I'm glad to be here. I enjoy history and see a lot of like-minded individuals on this board.
Right now, I am particularly interested in 1880s-1920s and the 1940s.

-TheGrey

kidroyal

New in Town
Hey all,

I've recently been drawn to vintage fedoras. What a great asset this site is for pinning down the vintage ect. of a particular hat! I've been spending some time here so thought I'd sign up. Cheers!

Enrico

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I discovered this forum by accident. I've loved history, vintage fashion, music, and militaria for a long time. I'm sixteen and try to dress vintage without raising the hackles of my peers too much.

Enrico's not my actual name, instead it's in reference to the cousin of my great grandfather - Enrico Caruso. I love his tunes too.

E.

Last edited:

Kayrahbear

New in Town
I'm new too! I was a lurker for a while, but finally made an account and decided to start posting.

I'm Kayla. I live in Nashville. I'm married and have one very wonderful 9 month old girl. I'm a nursing student and a stay at home mom. Before we had our daughter my husband and I were pretty involved in the rockabilly/rat rodding/car show scene. That's really how I discovered the vintage style. We don't do much car building/tinkering anymore but the love of 40s and 50s fashion, decor, and lifestyle is still there. I've learned a ton of history and other great information from this site. It's wonderful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko