Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Ruby Kitten

New in Town
Good evening ladies!

I am a new member here too, so I thought I'd pop my head in and say hello!

My name is Karen, and I live in Birmingham, in the UK. My fascination with all things vintage began about 10 years ago, when I started re-watching all those old musicals and movies I'd seen as a child. I was fascinated by how chic, how feminine and glamourous the ladies were then, and I decided to start bringing a little more glamour into my life (as opposed to the very minimalist look I had gone to up until then!).

I love collecting little bits here and there for my bedroom - a haven of feathers and glitter and all sorts! I love the 20s and the 50s especially. In fact I'm off to a 20s party on New Years Eve and have had my hair bobbed especially - when I get the full makeup on I'll get a photo and pop it up here.

Anyhoo - nice to meet you all. I think this place is the cat's pyjamas.

Karen x

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Welcome to the Lounge all of you fine ladies!

Ruby Kitten--your party sounds like a blast!

And EmmaBaby, I'm so glad you joined--I understand the lurker experience--I think we all did that for awhile.

Kate, I look forward to reading more of your posts

Rosa Moline--I'm going to check out your blog today--love the name. Can't wait to read it

And lastly, Folly--I would love to hear more about your WWII rationing cooking. I think I'll start a thread on that!

Ruby Kitten

New in Town
New too....

Hello and good evening to everyone!

My name is Karen, I'm from Birmingham in the UK. I've already introduced myself in the powder room, but just thought I'd say hi here too!

I been a vintage fan for about 10 years - I don't wear vintage all the time but tend to pair it with modern pieces, especially imitation. I love watching old musicals and silent films, and my favourite eras are the 20s and the 50s.

My idols are Monroe, Harlow, Jane Russell, Louise Brooks, Dita von Teese (although I'm aware everyone says that now!) and Jessica Rabbit!

I would love to do a little burlesque show one day, or some photography - although since I'm 26 now, the odds are rapidly diminishing! However, I have discovered that there's a burlesque night about once a month in Birmingham, so I intend to go soon, and will report back!

I am off to a 20s party in Birmingham on New Years Eve, so I'll post a pic of myself once I've been. Practiced my makeup last night and it looked the bees' knees, even if I do say so myself! And today I had my hair bobbed to complete the look.

Well, that's enough babbling - lovely to meet you all.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome to you all.

It's great to see all of the people coming on, each with interesting and individual backgrounds. I am looking forward to hearing about your passions and reading your contributions.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
What a fascinating bunch of glamorous people we seem to be attracting - the very warmest of welcomes to each and every one of you!

And try not to worry, Amelie: your English is better than some native speakers I know. C'est un plaisir de faire votre connaissance, et beinvenue au Fedora Lounge!

P

Paul

Ruby Kitten said:
and have had my hair bobbed especially - when I get the full makeup on I'll get a photo and pop it up here.

Karen x

It sounds as if you take the flapper look very seriously having your hair bobbed, great!:eusa_clap
how short is it?

Cameron

New in Town
Since I have officially delurked elsewhere, I suppose I should post here.

I'm interested in a lot of past fashions, but I happened upon the forum in my search for the perfect red lipstick. I'm currently learning how to sew, and I'm hoping to build a wardrobe inspired by the styles of many different previous eras. I have a few accessories that I picked up while I was living in Missouri, but I'm always on the lookout for more. I also like putting together modern pieces to create a look that has a vintage sensibility.

I already feel like I've talked too much, so I'm going to go back to wading through the previous topics, trying to find that red lipstick. :)

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Well, since you asked...

Like several of my fellow newbies, I discovered the Fedora Lounge by way of a Google search on a related topic. I followed the discussions as a Guest for a period of months, then got an overwhelming urge to post a reply to one of the threads. By the time I got signed up and activated, I forgot which thread I intended to comment on, so I lurked for another month or so.

My interest in things vintage and classic runs far, wide, and deep. I'll spare the details for now. Suffice to say, at 51, I'm old enough to remember living in a neighborhood where all the men were WWII vets and the neighborhood airfield was full of surplus Navy and Army Air Corps trainers that could hold my attention for hours. Even as a child, I felt I somehow remembered the decades before I was born.

I don't remember ever NOT being interested in old movies, music, cars, airplanes, and clothing. By junior high school, I was an avid fan of the Marx Brothers, WC Fields, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Cary Grant... well, it's a long list. Since nobody I knew shared this interest, I was in it alone and remained so. Until now, that is.

If I have a favorite era, it's probably between the world wars. I count among my favorite movies Duck Soup, It's a Gift, Mister Roberts, Father Goose, Soldier in the Rain, and Mr. Hulot's Holiday. I enjoy old radio, Big Band and other jazz. If I had the time, money, and space to devote to its care and feeding, I'd rather drive a 1937 automobile than a 2007.

I'm a native of San Diego, but a naturalized citizen of the San Francisco Bay Area since my early twenties. I went back to San Diego for a while, but recently returned to the Peninsula, Redwood City to be exact.

My wife and I have been together over 27 years. We have one grown daughter who works in product development for an Australian surf company; she's currently in Australia, but works for the USA division of the company and will be returning to her Orange County, CA home next year.

Professionally, I'm on the trailing edge of a career in software development. I finished up my career teaching programming at a university extension, although I'm currently talking with a well-known company about a possible last hurrah. Either way, my wife and I have started a digital media publishing company which will be my next career.

I do not currently own a fedora, although as a software engineer I did install Red Hat many times. ;) I don't have much in the way of vintage clothing. Most of my hats are contemporary, except my great-grandfather's derby and a stingy brim straw that I'm not sure how to categorize. (I'll post a photo later to get input.)

Under the influence of The Fedora Lounge, I recently resumed writing with a fountain pen. I cleaned up the old Schaeffer cartridge pen I bought in high school -- an expression of my interest in older things then -- and added to it a disposable Pilot Varsity -- okay, for the money -- and a Lamy Alstar, which I'm loving.

Okay, enough about me. Let's talk about you...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hello everyone! I'm new.
My husband and I live Downunder in a beautiful part of the city,very close to the sea. We both love it here!
My passion is the 1920s and 1930s and everything relating to that period: music, books, movies, writers, fashion and social customs in general.
This is such a great community I felt I had to join. Nice to meet you all ! :)

Buck

New in Town
Hello All

Great idea Miss Daisy! Thank you for helping us all feel welcome, although I've felt welcomed and at home since I first posted.

Hmm.... I came across this site looking for a hat. I can't quite remember why I began searching for a fedora, but I'm glad I did. I also want to express appreciation for the quality of manner here, another vintage (mostly:( ) thing. I've always been drawn to pieces of vintage style....string tie here, fedora there, etc. I grew up with my father listening to older music, which I really enjoy. From Dorothy Shay to Boots Randolph. I enjoy most all music types, especially Big Band and Swing.

I always liked the look of hats, except how they looked on me:eek: Then I grew a beard and, viola! Hats look great!

I deliberately arrainged my life so I'd never have to wear a tie again. The 80's and 90's fashion didn't do it for me. Even though I don't know any vintage dressers around here (except a couple of rockabilly bands) knowing you all are out there gives me the incentive and freedom to create opportunities to become Natalie Attiredlol (Sorry:( I'll try not to do that again)

Great to see other aviators, Beemerphiles, and pipe smokers out there! I would love to see a New England gathering of TFL folks someday. Can someone tell me more about the Queen Mary gathering?

Looking forward to making good conversation and friends here!

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Greetings from the Sunny South

Greeting to one and all. I found the Lounge while googling a new Fedora. I have worn Fedoras, on and off, for over 30 years.
Before I joined here, I thought hats were just for wearing. Now I find myself buying hats just for a chance to see how they were made or to enjoy just holding a great hat.
My Avator has been with me for a long time and although he doesn't wear a Fedora (I can't afford them for both of us) i like to think of it as a stringy bucket
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

if you wish to know more:
http://www.tinmanzzz.greatnow.com/
(sorry for the adds it's a free site)

s7eng

New in Town
A through back from another time or a glimpse into the future?

My affection for the Golden Era keeps me grounded in the past, but my love of technology sends me far into the future.

My interest are far and wide. They include (but are not limited to) Old Time Radio, Noir films and music of all kinds jazz and swing included (I play guitar and bass). I like to dance and given opportunity would like to learn swing dancing. My love of technology has me currently employed in Telecommunications.

I came across The Fedora Lounge on my quest to find me a nice hat. I had been dissatisfied in my quest for nearly a decade. I now own and regularly wear a fedora.

Shawn

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Hi all.

I'm happy to be here. I got 'round this way through a couple of online vintage (hair/photo/fashion) communities I belong to.

I'm in Portland and have been here just a short while by way of Chicago. Vintage shopping here is *wonderful* and so much cheaper than my Mid-Western hometown. The shops here are great, as are the shop keeps.

My lifestyle is about 1/2 vintage, but after being called out on that by a friend, I've recently begun to look at if I'm satisfied with that, or if I'm just being lazy. There are too many modern designs/designers I'm interested in to ever fully engage, and full dress often leaves me feeling like an extra from 'The Rocketeer.' For me, I think there's a balance to be struck and a great harmony to create between classic, vintage, tailoring/fabric/finishing/narrative, and modern vision. Often the two mesh easily and enhance the other beautifully.

Where I'm fully engaged by vintage is in my home. It tends to be a more expensive hobby than wardrobe, but I feel it's worth it. I have a long way to go, but I will be satisfied when my home has fully converted and when I feel entirely comfortable within it.

Best to you all. It's nice to be here. Everyone has been most helpful already.

Happy 2007.

Cameron

New in Town
I found the Powder Room while on the search for the perfect red lipstick, and decided to stick around for all of the other goodies. I'm sort of shy, so it's going to take me a bit before I get really chatty. At the moment, I'm reading back through many of the threads and trying to soak up all of the great info here. I've never been really good at Introductory-type posts, so hopefully my personality and interests will shine through when I begin posting more actively. :)

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
I found FL whilst researching 40s and 50s hairstyles as i went as Miss Scarlet from Cluedo to a fancy dress party.

I have stayed ever since, i love everything about vintage style for women. My goal in life is to be glamourous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran