Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
New guy

Hi ya gang,been hanging around here for sometime now,really enjoy the collection of stories and tidbits of the Good Old Days. Well heres the dope on me, my name is Eric, I've lived in Detroit my whole life ,My wife and I share a passion for the art deco era,we own a stucco house built in 1917,very keen, I'm also into silent movies Chaplin is my favorite,also into war journalists of WW2, no fedora to speak of,I do sport a beret. Favorite movie of all time would be City Lights
Ciao

Tom Mac

New in Town
Introduction

Hi all,
My name is Tom, and I've been lurking around here for a while, on and off, and just joined recently. I've been interested in the vintage style for a while now, everything from 1960's back.
Bogart is my favourite actor right now: I'm building a collection of his films.
I grew up watching the Blondie and Charley Chan flims sunday afternoons, in addition to the Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy. I like to share a classic movie with my mom- AMC and TCM are favourite channels for us.
I love classic Cadillacs; I bought a non-running 1947 Series 61 Club Coupe for my first one, not realizing that it was far beyond my ability to fix. I currently have a Turquoise 1963 Coupe deVille, and hope to ad another Cadillac from the 1940s someday.
I haven't got much in the way of vintage clothes, except for some of my Grandpa's ties and his scarf that he wore to church.
As for hats- I got started with ballcaps when I was a child, went hatless during my teen years, and after high school I got a cotton "outback" style hat- the style that you can find at sporting goods stores, or the Discovery Store. I loved that hat, but left it on a plane coming back from Tacoma. A few years later I decided I wanted a "good" hat, and found a local store in Columbus, which is where I got my Royal Stetson Fedora in 2001 as a Christmas gift from my dad.
Last year I added a Baileys of Hollywood Bowler, which is now my dress/winter hat.
Cheers,
Tom

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, so many new people coming in to say hello! Every day I am more and more amazed at how quickly this once semi-small group is growing. So many new and interesting people, with varying interests. Welcome Tailendcharlie, Merril Wayne B, Ms. McGraw, Trampilot, wowandflutter, Tom mac, and Gatsby 84. So very nice to make all of your acquaintances:)

Gatsby84, it's very nice to see another Gatsby fan in here.
Ms. McGraw, your avatar is wonderful!
Merril Wayne B, greetings from one Bostonian to another. Keep your eyes open for an upcoming thread about a potential Boston/New England get together. More news to hopefully come after the 1st of the year.
Well, to everyone, it's so great to meet you all and thanks for introducing yourselves.
As I said, this community is growing so quickly. Each person who joins has different interests and great information to add to the forum. The more people that join us, the more knowledge we gain. So, I enjoy hearing more from you all. Enjoy the Lounge. Drinks are on the bartenders!!!:D
:cheers1:

Rosa Moline

New in Town
Hi! I've been lurking for some time so it's time to come out in the open! :eusa_clap

I'm Kristi and I live in Florida. Married with three kids and three cats. I try to collect vintage everything as much as possible, therefore I have become an absolute thrift store junkie. As a matter of fact, here is my blog[http://thriftgoddess.blogspot.com - it's only so-so at present because I haven't been able to post up any pictures of all the wonderful things I have found lately. But I promise to fix that in 2007!

Anyway, my favorite things are the 1940s and early 50s - I've been known to wear my saddle shoes and bobby sox to work - everyone has something to say about that! I try to wear vintage as much as possible, or at least mix it up. I love WWII airplane nose cone art, pinup girls, film noir, men in fedoras, Casablanca, All About Eve, the New Year's Eve broadcasts live from the Rainbow Room (Benny Goodman, baby!), victory gardens, seamed stockings, and the atomic age...well, you get the picture!

So happy to be here among like-minded folks!

epr25

Practically Family
Hi there. I happened onto this site yesterday actually. I used to read and post on Prt Halcyon fo rawhile but unfortunatley it seemed as though everyone has left there for a minute. So I went searching for another ofrum and here I am. My name is Erin, I'm 28 and obsessed with vintage. Mostly 40's 50's. I am engaged to Jeff who you see in my avatar. He also is a vintage lover. Thank goodness or I would have driven him crazy by now. We have three dogs. I have introduced them in the pets thread. We live in Fort Wayne Indiana and spend all of our time thrift shopping ect. We are fortunate to still have a pretty good amount of untapped resouces around here. We are always on a quest to find him clothing ,which I am sure some of you other guys can relate to this, he's 6'3" and very hard to dress since it seems most of the previous generations were small. So if anyones ever in the area please contact me I can give you the thrift shop low down. Also if anyone is within a couple hours from us I would like information on your area. We take small raod trips all the time. We're always looking for cool small towns to visit! Nice to meet everyone.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Recently joined

Hey, everyone,

I joined a few weeks ago...what a great forum! I particularly enjoy the polite, courteous manner in which everyone discusses things...quite a change from some other forums I'm on!

I recently got interested in a more vintage style of clothing (either actual vintage clothing or items that evoke the era), so this site has been invaluable already in planning my "acquisitions" :) I'm looking forward to learning more!

I live in the Los Angeles area, where of course, jeans and a t-shirt with some designer's name on it are considered "fashionable". As an engineer/manager, I usually wear nice dress pants (I prefer pleated) and dress shirts with ties to work...and the fact that I wear something halfway nice and NOT the slovenly stuff most engineers wear is definitely noticed by my coworkers, managers, etc., albeit in a positive way. So now I want to move towards a more unique personal style...

Let's see...hobbies...yes, I'm a pilot (private pilot w/ instrument ratings); enjoy travel, especially to the National Parks; wildlife study and observation (I have a website for a nestbox camera, www.kestrelcam.org, that we set up a couple of years ago...check it out!)...

Edited to add: I've been interested in the 40's/WWII era for many years (particularly given my flying interests). My grandfather was in the Navy in both the ETO and the PTO, lots of combat, etc...I have a very few pictures of him in his civilian clothes and his navy uniform/peacoat and he looked great! Sadly, most of these items were destroyed in a house fire many years ago when my grandparents 1860's farmhouse caught fire. I admired him tremendously.

Anyway, this is long enough...thanks for the welcome to a great site, and I look forward to participating and learning!

Steve

P.S. So what's this Queen Mary thing I keep hearing about?

hargist

One of the Regulars
epr25 said:
We live in Fort Wayne Indiana and spend all of our time thrift shopping ect. We are fortunate to still have a pretty good amount of untapped resouces around here.

I grew up in Fort Wayne too, but have lived in Los Angeles since 1990. My family still lives in Fort Wayne and I was just there in November. I did some thrifting and picked up some nifty hats. If you have any good tips for me for the next time I'm back, please do tell.

Hi everyone. I'm Tom and I became interested in vintage through swing dancing. I've been doing it for a year and I'm having a blast! Meeting others in the vintage community has been great and I have fully embraced vintage style. It is like discovering something that feels so natural that it seems strange that I didn't discover it sooner.

Better late than never!

Tom

Astrobeej

New in Town
Fresh off the bus

Hello folks! This is my first posting here, but I can't believe I didn't know about The Fedora Lounge ages ago!

My name is B.J. West, and I am an artist, writer and film maker. I've got a rather strange split personality in interests, being passionate about film noir and detective fiction -- and hard core science fiction!

Lately, my work has been dominated by the former. A few years ago I did a series of still photos trying to capture the noir style.

SmLightingUp.jpg

More recently I participated in writing and editing an anthology of original detective fiction called "Fog City Nocturne," available at most online booksellers.

I am currently in production on a one hour long video adaptation of "The Smiling Man", one of the stories from the book. Since March of this year I have been elbow deep in San Francisco, 1948. I've been working really hard to make it as authentic as possible given our shoestring budget.

Scene01-01.jpg

Scene01-02.jpg

Scene05-06.jpg

We are scheduled for release on DVD in the spring of 2007.

I just wish I'd found this forum long, long ago! I'm sure you'd all have been a godesend in the research phase! Well, I guess it's allright to show up to the party "fashionably late!"

Beej

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A warm welcome to our newest members epr25, hargist, flyingscotsman,BeeJ. Thanks for the introduction. It's great to hear from all of you and learn about all of your different interests. I look forward to hearing more about you, and learning from you all.
Welcome to The Lounge!!!! I hope you all enjoy yourselves and find this place as warm and cozy as I do!

kath

New in Town
Hello!
I am new as well, with my husband, Adem, showing me this forum. My name is Kathryn (Kath), and I live in Australia, on the Sunshine Coast, 300 meters from the beach. I am originally from Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I have been interested in anything vintage since about age 13 (I just turned 27). I was always embarrassed to have the same clothes as someone else, so thrift stores were my number 1 choice for sure. Thank goodness for 'grunge', and I was able to shop at thrift stores without attracting too much attention, as I also hated to stand out in the crowd too much. I first became a 1930-1940's fan through watching old movies, and especially seeing the relatively recent movie "Swing Kids" in grade 8 or 9. Since then I always had something old in my closet, but only recently have I tried to get more specific in my style, money dependent of course. I am so grateful for a forum like this, where I can get so much advice (and hope to provide some too)! I collect vintage cards, but in Oz, they are hard to come by. I also have some sewing skills, so I hope to increase those, and the tips in the posts are so helpful! I am also quite crafty, and enjoy making as much as I can myself. Nice to be here, thanks Everyone!

jugband1

New in Town
Hello!

My name is Kate, and I live in (near atleast) St. Louis MO. I am new here this week, and I must say it is nice to find a website of ladies (and gents ;-) who are as into preserving old time charm and glamour as well. I have always loved vintage clothes, photographs, etc...and have been more into pinup, film noir/old hollywood glamour styles lately. I am a photography assistant, digital retouch artist, and occasional model (retro and pinup only)-- so I am always interested in learning new hairstyles to try and seeing cute vintage clothes and shoes. So happy to find such a great resource!

kate

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Greetings from southern Ohio!

I stumbled across this site a few days ago while doing a Google search for a 4-way hat stretcher. It immediately caught my fancy. First thing I did was subscribe to the magazine. I'm looking forward to receiving the first issue!

I've never been consciously into vintage clothing, though I've always enjoyed old movies and the clothing styles from the 30s and 40s. One of the things that always strikes me when I look at old photos of, say, Hollywood stars like Cary Grant and the like is how natural and comfortable they look in even the most formal of clothing. One of the other things I've noticed in old movies is how men seem to be able to actually do routine tasks while wearing their suits without the suit constricting them. It seems to me that modern suits are designed for appearance and not necessarily for functionality. It appears to me that the suits from the "Golden Era" were designed for both.

I've always liked hats. I bought an Indiana Jones fedora when they first came out, a grey one. I still have it and it's still in great condition. Of course, it hasn't been worn very much as I've felt it needed a suit to go under it and I have rarely owned a suit. I've had a number of different hats over the years that seem to be referred to as a "Gable" style. These I do wear frequently. I also wear different types of caps.

The one suit I bought as an adult was purchased in 1993, a double-breasted pinstripe made by Alexender of England. I liked the "retro" look of it. Still have it, and hope to one day be able to fit into it again!

I drive a PT Cruiser, which I've customized a bit to make it look a bit more retro as well. I would love to own a vintage car, perhaps someday.

I retired from the USAF last year. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a pair of suits to wear while job hunting. Though not vintage, that experience led me to decide that I do want to start dressing sharper in the future. Maybe it's time to retire the multiple drawers full of tee-shirts and polo shirts, and start dressing a bit snappier. Looking through this forum has kindled an interest in vintage clothing, as well. I'll definitely be looking for more hats!

Other info: I'm originally from Los Angeles County (South Gate) but from June 1980 to June 2005 home was wherever the Air Force sent me. I'm now in Lucasville, Ohio, because that's where my wife is from and where she retired to (also AF) 11 years ago. We met in Korea in '86, but I wasn't able to convince her to marry me until a few years ago. We were married in Daytona Beach during Bike Week. (I ride BMW motorcycles.) I'm an Information Systems Manager but there is very little by way of job opportunities for that sort of thing in this area. We both are interested in learning to dance (ballroom, swing, that sort of thing) but again, opportunities for that are limited here.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know! This appears to be a very interesting group of people. I'm looking forward to being a member.

Cheers,
Tom

Amelie

A-List Customer
Hi, my name is Amelie, and I am from Montreal. I found this website a year or to ago, and I've been lurking now and then ever since. I really don't know why I havent created an account earlier though lol

My passion for vintage began in high school when I discovered that clothing was a good way to be who you want to be (And since that, I have discovered makeup and hairstyles can do the same). Ever since, I've played with different styles, admiring how tiny things can change so much about somebody (that said, I have never been into punk, goth or those kind of style). I love skirts and dresses, and almost only wear those. ( I might put on some pants only once in a month or so)

So starting from that I've finally found a great vintage pattern which I used to make my prom dress. And there it was, I found the style I preferred and felt confortable and pretty in it. So I started collecting skirts with a 40's and a 50's look (most of them are probably from the 70's though) and I've made a reputation at school by wearing a quite full petticoat in the old fashioned way. (not without a skirt or dress like so many goths are doing (that said, I don't have anything particular against goths, it's just that it's not my style lol )

I love sewing, and I tryed my hands in a fashion school, but I think it wasn't really my cup of tea. I know there is some amazing fashion schools in the US and the UK, but here it's like... the program wasn't made for me :D

I love old movies, particularly musicals, from the 20's to the early 60's.
I also love swing music and dance, and am talking about taking swing lessons since about two years. Maybe some day I'll do it lol

Like I've said to some places, if you see me making weird mistakes, it's not that I am retarded or anything, but french is the usual language I am speaking. (so if any of you ever need some help in french... ;))

Gotro

New in Town
Howdy All. The name's Gautreaux or Gotro for short. I'm pretty much a greenhorn when it comes to vintage style but I love it none the less. Whenever I get the chance to dress up believe me I take it (though the special occasions are few and far between in this rinky-dink texas town). Well, that's all for now. I hope to get to know some of you better.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Hi, I'm Kat, I'm in the wonderful UK.

I've fairly recently discovered that I like vintage styles, I've always liked being dressed up, and I love the glamour of past eras. Recently my whole body shape seems to have changed (put on weight) so I'm now trying to sort out my wardrobe and fill it with lots of feminine, glamourous outfits, and wandered in here while looking for inspiration.

I can't pin down one decade as a favourite, though I've been favouring the 20's lately.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
Hello friends!

I just wanted to say hi to you all and have been rather creepily reading this forum everyday for about 6 months, but have not joined until now. Infact whenever there has been a guest online, it's probably been me due to my insomnia.

the tips and links in the powder room have been so helpful, so i just want to thank you all. :eusa_clap

P

Paul

A big welcome from me . It nice to see another face from the UK. You enjoy fully joining in and posting.

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
Hello all!

My name is James and I'm an amature historian and a wanna-be writer who has an addiction for all things from the past. I'm a fan of pulps and movie/ radio serials and am a rabid collector of all sorts of 'stuff' (mostly useless).

I'm a fan of vintage styles, although I can't say I own much actual vintage at this point. Vintage inspired might be the best way to describe the look I'm striving for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran