Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello!

I've noticed a lot of new members are joining The Fedora Lounge. Some of you have come forward and introduced yourselves, others are joining right into the many threads we have, and yet some are watching from the side lines. This is wonderful, I'm so amazed with how fast and greatly our community is growing. We have a great community of people, all who know something or another about vintage films, vintage clothing, anything about the vintage lifestyle even the vintage lingo.

First off I'd like to welcome all of our new members. This is a great place to share your vintage passion with people from all over the world. It would be wonderful if our new comers would take a few minutes to introduce themselves. Drop in just to say hi or go in depth and tell us all about yourselves. Whatever it is you want us to know about you, we'd like to hear it. What's your favorite era? Who's your favorite actor? What kind of fedora do you wear? How often do you dress vintage? The list of questions could go on, but I won't inundate you:)

Welcome new members! It's really great to know that there are so many other people around the world who share the passion for vintage that we Fedora Loungers do. I look forward to getting to know you. Each member who joins The Lounge has some knowledge to contribute. We appreciate all that knowledge, and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Pull up a stool, join the gang, share your story, or just say hi. It's so very nice to meet all of you and I look forward to learning more about you, hearing more from you.

:cheers1:
Cheers!
Daisy

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I'll give it a shot and be the first to reply. Even though I've been hanging around the lounge and posting here and there for the past couple of weeks I just wanted to formally introduce myself. I posted in a similar thread in the powder room when I joined but this is my first address to everyone as a whole ladies and gents.

I'm not going to go on too much, I am just so happy that I found this community because the vintage lovers are scarce around these parts. I'm from Rhode Island, born and raised. My name is Beverly but most just call me Huff. I have a babygirl named Audriana who is now 7 months old and I have just went back to school after a sort of maternity leave from college this past year. I attend Johnson&Wales University and will hopefully get a Bachelor's in Restaurant Management soon, just a little way to go. As long as I don't slack.

I've always loved old hollywood films and all my schoolgirl crushes were on movie stars of the 40s and 50s. I believe my first real sigh/swoon over a guy was Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desired when I was 9 lol. My favorite tv show of all time is I Love Lucy and I always wanted to dress like Lucille Ball when I grew up. Now I'm in the process of growing up and loving the vintage look.

I am also fascinated by all things WWII. My friends find it strange that I'm always reading a book about the war, from the era, or about the era. [huh]

I am also a burlesque entertainer and have done some modeling but hope to get into doing pin-up work. Might as well cater to my love of vintage fashion and also gives me an excuse to collect a lot of great pieces.

Aah this is turning out to be long. Well to reiterate I'm glad I found this community. I have met some real great people (such as the lovely miss daisy buchanan) and I can't wait to meet more interesting people here and learn a lot about stuff I wouldn't find anywhere else. I'm a people person, I love to talk!

bingolittle

New in Town
bingolittle here!...38 with family....got caught up watching bogart movies and jimmy stewart movies at a young age....can just remember crying for stewart in 'harvey' as a lad....born and raised in mississippi with parents with a nostalgic bent....am very interested in the depression years and especially all of the wpa projects...in college (belhaven art major) i found some friends that dressed vintage and listened to some great music,and my whole world was changed!...the music was great and a way to express my self was found!....i now have a uniform for work ( i sling cell phones)...but i do dress vintage on the weekends amap.....sitting on my bookshelf, wodehouse, yeats-brown, kipling, steinbeck, agee, kerouac,bowles, and various anthologies...i do still use a mamiya twin lens camera for serious photography and am fighting digital to no avail!....this forum has been great and i have found much useful infomation! thnks!....are there any other mississippians out there?.....thats all for now...keep the faith!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Mateo here

Hey, just joined. My name is Mateo. Lived in SF from 95 or so till 2001 or so. Miss it. I was lucky to be part of the whole swing, vintage, etc thing and was even able to not have to have a real job by dealing vintage. Did a lot of dressing and a lot of dancing. Lots of great people and great music.

Back in Seattle doing real estate. Don't dance much as it is not the same, and have no one to talk vintage with. I was really excited to find this forum. makes me very nostalgic.

I know I have met some of you here and there in SF and LA, but not exactly sure when or where. if you remember me, say hello.

Till I get some good pics of me in my regular gear, enjoy my Halloween avatar. Exagerated, but all good vintage.

I rember ARt Fawcett and his fine wares. Wildroot, I think I remember you from hanging with Jeff Beauregard. Is that you. I sold you an overcoat once didn't I? Marc Chevalier, not sure if we ever met, but I have heard a pretty good story or two of you from the Estrella brothers. Many others of you look familiar/ Anyway, glad to be here.

Mateo

LadyStardust

Practically Family
DimeADanceQueen said:
{/FONt]

where in Carolina are you from? I was raised in Raleigh and lived in C'Hill for about four years. I first fell in love with Vintage clothing there and if you'd like places to scour for vintage finds, i'd be happy to point you in a few directons.
welcome to the lounge! :p :p
I'm in Greensboro, not too terribly far from either of those too. I'm always open to the suggestions you have, but I have managed to scout out quite a few vintage places, including no fewer than four antique stores on the same street I live on!:eusa_clap What I need to find are people into vintage, and more so than just as a passing fancy!
Oh, thank you also for the welcome!:)

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Hello, all I have been doing historical reenacting for over 30 years starting with Civil War military back in the early 1970's, in the 1980's I moved forward to the 1880's old west, which my wife, "Bonniejean", and I still do. We have just in the last couple of years made the leap forward in time to the 30's/ 40's and so have several of our fellow reenactors, "Alphonse Capone" being one. I love this era because you can incorporate into your everyday life without too many stares, walking down the street in total "range cowboy" gear gets some rather goofy stares and shouts of "where's your horse". However a fedora and a nice suit seems to be considered pretty normal by today's standard, oh but I ramble. Anyway my wife has been on for awhile now so I thought I would jump in with both feet.
Thanks for making us feel welcome!
"Harry"

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Greetings!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Robert and I had lurked here for a bit before posting. I've always been a huge fan of the Golden Era, and especially WWII. I knew the basic history of the war by the time I was 8 or 9.

I've always enjoyed classic films, from Casablanca to Mr. Lucky. My favorite actors are Bogart of course, Cary Grant and Robert Montgomery.

I'm 40 years old, married and living outside Chicago, which has always been home, aside from a year here and there.

I'm a huge fan of fur felt fedoras - wide brim, as my big ol' round head just doesn't look right in stingies.

I don't dress truly vintage, but incorporate that classic style into my daily dress in any way I can. I'm kind of a "meld" of modern and classic, I guess.

This was a great idea Daisy - I really enjoy the Lounge and look forward to participating - and learning - here for a long time to come. Many thanks to MK as well, for providing this wonderful forum.

Best,
Robert

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Howdy

Howdy and thanks for the warm greeting. I have been viewing this site for about a year and a half and finely decided to sign up. I have always been into classic style things and this site offers what I am looking for. I am looking forward to actually participating in the threads.

Daisy Buchanan

Well Hello Miss Huff, BingoLittle, Robert, Mateo and Harry. I'm so glad you all took the time to introduce yourselves.

It's very nice to meet you all, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Enjoy,
Daisy

Daisy Buchanan

Treetopflyer said:
Howdy and thanks for the warm greeting. I have been viewing this site for about a year and a half and finely decided to sign up. I have always been into classic style things and this site offers what I am looking for. I am looking forward to actually participating in the threads.
Welcome to The Lounge Treetopflyer:)

canucklehead

New in Town
Well, I've already jumped in with both feet in the Hats thread, but I thought I would introduce myself here, too.

My name is Mike, and for a lot of my life I've had at least a casual relationship with things vintage. The roman noir, live theatre, classic film, Marx Bros. comedy, and on and on. Probably the first real step I took on the road of living the vintage lifestyle was when I took up a pipe. I'd always enjoyed the scent of aromatic tobacco, and I soon learned that it was a great way to slow down, take my time and decompress. For those fellow pipers around here, you'll know what I mean. You can't hurry when you smoke a pipe; it's a very deliberate process. I guess I made the subconscious connection that slowing down and taking time to enjoy = a throwback to an earlier era. I'd imagine myself kicking back in front of a fire with a good book and perhaps a finger or two of fine Irish whiskey at my side.

As those who browse the Hats forum know, I'd wanted a fedora for as long as I can remember, mainly because I remember my grandfather sporting one of his, how classy he looked. He was a fine example of "the gentleman" and I suppose I've always tried to emulate him in one way or another. While shopping for a suit recently, I found, fell in love with, and bought my first fedora, and have since bought two more online, though those ones haven't arrived yet. One day, I hope to own an Art Fawcett custom, though it may be a bit before I can realistically do so.

I found the lounge looking for tips on hat etiquette, browsed a bit and immediately started lurking regularly, and once I signed up and started posting, I have to say that I think I've come home. We've got a great bunch of people here, and everybody's been great at making me feel welcome from the start, which does not go unappreciated, for the record.

Now, a little bit for your dossiers: I'm 27, married 3 years with a beautiful wife and almost-2-year-old daughter, and currently re-educating myself in the field of accounting. (I guess that's another "vintage" aspect about me: my main motivation for going back to school was a strong sense of obligation to provide the best upbringing possible for my daughter and the best lifestyle possible for my family. Some people may see that as "old-fashioned"--including my wife--but I can't help the way I'm wired.)

Anyway, I'm sure you're tiring of reading this by now, so I will close with a doffed hat and raised Manhattan to you all.

Cheers,

Mike

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Hiya Guys an' Dolls

Had a formalwear question last week, so I typed in "formalwear primer" and that very thread came up. Peeked in and found people with similar interests in dress, movies and such.

Hard to strike up a conversation with my white water kayaking buddies regarding anything related to style.

And have noticed that the charaters in Animal House, Bluto excepted, dressed better than the undergraduates today. From a chapter advisor I know,

"Pants with pockets on the outside are not dress pants!"

Things are looking up though, the winter issue of my college fraternity magazine shows a picture of an installation of a new chapter and the guys are wearing tails.

katiepickle

New in Town
I also posted an introduction in the Powder Room, but I suppose that I should introduce myself to the boys as well. I am putting myself through San Diego State (only 2 finals and 3 semesters left!) and I work alot, the fruits of my labor primarily going to rent and school books.
I actually stumbled upon vintage when I started going to a lot of antique car shows. I went for the cars, I have a healthy obsession with american cars pre 64 (generally), but after admiring all of the glammed up pin-up girls at the shows I started building up my clothing collection.
I love the fashion of the late 40s and early 50s, but I have to admit that my dream house will have a 60s lounge style living room. There is just something about salmon and orange that does it for me.
When I first found the FL (looking for hair help, thanks ladies!), all I could think of was the Disney short "Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet" (sung by the Andrews Sisters). I still get the song stuck in my head when I log in.
That about sums me up, I hope to learn a lot more about vintage style from everyone!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family

Just a suggestion , but with the recent & noticeable influx of NEW FL members creating an Avatar is a good way of establishing an identity here.

Also did you find the FL thru a websearch or via the new Classic Style Magazine?

SC :D

Greetings everyone! Been here a short while!
My father was born in 1905 and grew up through the depression...and '30s and 40's. He was a mechanical Engineer designing aircraft in San Diego during WW2. I have several photos of him and my mother in some famous California night clubs circu 1942. They had the chance to meet several Golden Era stars...Bogart being one of them. He played tuffguy at the bar with my Father...then smiled. They engaged in conversation over a drink. Dad said Bogie was a nice "little' guy...and really not so hardcore. My Father was 6'1" 182 dark hair..blue eyes. A Cary Grant appearance about him. My mother always reminded me of Rita Hayworth. Quite a couple,indeed. At a future date..I'll try and post some old pics.
I rarely ever remember seeing Dad without jacket and tie. He always told me..don't get caught up in fashion(wide collars..ties..oversized)...go for style. A traditional cut jacket...aprox 2 1/2"-3" tie..(the occassional double breasted) and you're never outa style. It does seem to hold true.
I think my interest in '30s-'40s style clothing is more directly related to my parents. Two snappy dressers who even aged with "style".
I live in Indiana..and retired early seven years ago. My interests are artwork..motorcycle riding..WW2 and vintage motorcycle jackets.
I'm the type of guy who enjoys dressing down in denim.....but also will eagerly sport a jacket and tie on short notice. '30s-'40s "style"..but of course!
HD

Ben

One of the Regulars
I'm just dropping in to say hello.

A new member thread is a great idea. I am mostly a lurker but signed up for an account when I saw a thread or two where I thought I could add a little useful information.

I had two cheap fedoras in college and stopped wearing them after I lost the second one. I found the lounge after I started thinking that it might be nice to have one again. I still haven't bought a new one, but am on the lookout.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say I dress vintage or have a favorite era. I like new and old books, movies, music, and what have you. But this site is definitely a fun read.

atomicfabulous

New in Town
Hi! I had introduced myself to the ladies a few days ago, so I guess now is the time to address the whole party...
My name is Sandra, I first discovered vintage in high school. I had really funky style so vintage really worked for me. It wasn't until about 4 years ago that I settled into the 30's-50's, and it has been so fun dressing up and searching out vintage. When I got married a little over a year ago I began acquiring vintage furniture, and now I actually own a vintage clothing boutique, so vintage has become a huge part of my life. I discovered the FL through Lauren Henline...we really have quite a lot in common. We looked and dressed alike in high school, we both studied fashion, and are both vintage lovers. Its funny after all these years to find out that we have followed a similar path in life.
I have already learned so much from the ladies, they are full of advice and good ideas. I have found that this is a really great place to learn, everyone knows something or has had experiences that will help you find the answer you need! I look forward to meeting any of you in the San Diego area, please come visit me at my store and check me out on myspace!
www.myspace.com/atomicfabulous www.myspace.com/selvageboutique

dtracy

New in Town
I've already posted an introduction in the hat's forum, but I'll add a bit more here as well. I've had a love of hats for quite a long time, but I haven't been able to find the kind of style I've looking for; tall crowned felt fedoras, but now that I know something about brands and places to buy, that will be changing.... I found the lounge via a web search, and I've found it to be a treasure trove of information!

While I started out just looking for hat information, I started to realize that I have been interested in vintage for quite a long time, but I'm interested in blending it with more contemporary fashion rather than trying to zero in on a time period or fashion. I also want to learn to dress better... it's time to move beyond the jeans/khakis and t-shirts with nerdy things on them.

My interest in old movies (just saw Breakfast at Tiffanys, The Maltese Falcon, and Psycho) has been rekindled as well. It's been great to read what people have to say here.

Daisy Buchanan

Thank you Canucklehead, oldskoolfrat, katiepickle, hoosierdaddy, ben, atomicfabulous, and dtracey, for taking the time to introduce yourselves.
It's very nice to meet you:) Don't be shy!
Wow, I really can't believe how many new people are joining our group everyday. Their really are a lot of vintage fans out there, much more than I ever realized.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran