Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

SwinginAnne

New in Town
Hey Paisley
I love the swing at the Mercury. Sadly I don't get down there as much as I ought to. My partner up and left for the Big Apple. Do you swing there?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Is there a club called the Big Apple? If so, I've never heard of it.

I go to the Merc Sunday nights; it's hard for me to go to work the next day if I go mid-week. Please send me a PM if you plan to go on a Sunday--we can say hello. :) (Just make sure to send it by Friday, since I don't go online much on weekends.)

Niphredil

New in Town
Hi Ladies

I'm Niph and I strolled by the Lounge while looking for hairstyles, howto's and pictures involving (pin)curls.
I never gave the 'golden era' much thought before, but we recently got access to a classical movies channel (only temporarily though) with a lot of old MGM productions and the like, hence my inspiration !

See you around :)

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Greetings and Good day

My name is Emma and I am a student in lovely old London town. Ever since childhood I have been potty about social history, especially the minutae of people's everyday lives. I love vintage fashions, especially from the 40s and 50s. I'm also a huge fan of old-fashioned household management, and can while away many a happy hour with a 1912 cookbook or some vinegar and borax.

I live in a lovely if tiny flat in a conservation area of North London with my partner, an avid collector of pre-war blues, folk and jazz.

Everyone on here is so nice, I hope I get to meet at least some of you someday..!

KL15

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hello!

I've noticed a lot of new members are joining The Fedora Lounge. Some of you have come forward and introduced yourselves, others are joining right into the many threads we have, and yet some are watching from the side lines. This is wonderful, I'm so amazed with how fast and greatly our community is growing. We have a great community of people, all who know something or another about vintage films, vintage clothing, anything about the vintage lifestyle even the vintage lingo.

First off I'd like to welcome all of our new members. This is a great place to share your vintage passion with people from all over the world. It would be wonderful if our new comers would take a few minutes to introduce themselves. Drop in just to say hi or go in depth and tell us all about yourselves. Whatever it is you want us to know about you, we'd like to hear it. What's your favorite era? Who's your favorite actor? What kind of fedora do you wear? How often do you dress vintage? The list of questions could go on, but I won't inundate you:)

Welcome new members! It's really great to know that there are so many other people around the world who share the passion for vintage that we Fedora Loungers do. I look forward to getting to know you. Each member who joins The Lounge has some knowledge to contribute. We appreciate all that knowledge, and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Pull up a stool, join the gang, share your story, or just say hi. It's so very nice to meet all of you and I look forward to learning more about you, hearing more from you.

:cheers1:
Cheers!
Daisy

Won't bore anyone with too much about me. I'm a CAD draftsman by day and a musician at night. I like to race cars, I love sports cars, and I love martinis and cigars. I cannot understand what in the hell is going on with most of my generation. They are so un-kept, disrespectful, and immature. I love 40's ,especially WWII, to with which I collect a great deal of pieces. The beauty of vintage is the functionality. Everything that was worn or used was functional. There wasn't much "fashion for fashion's sake," which I got very sick of in the 1990's. Hope this is a start.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Serious. I dislike sarcasm. Actually the most controversial t-shirt I ever wore to work was a Union Jack. I got it from a British friend who'd bought it for himself in England. I was at his pub acknowledging the handing back of Hong Kong that night and was wearing a red, white, and blue pantsuit my mom had in the 70s. He insisted I have his shirt. Gladly. Well when I wore it to work at the library I thought I was going to get into fisticuffs with several patrons! They were quite offended for some reason. Hey, my ancestors were colonists, I can wear whatever I want. So, nice avatar, seriously.

ScarlettTurner

New in Town
Hello, everyone.
My name's Scarlett and what can I say? I love vintage things!

I absolutely *adore* the GLAMOUR of days gone by.....! How ladies (and gents!) would dress "to the nines" if they had a day out, luncheon....etc. I love the starched shirts, well-pressed, well-attended clothing of the post-war era.

I'm married, and have two children. My daughter has expressed admiration for the styles of the vintage years ~ actually, I'm hoping that she will become interested in wearing vintage fashions.

I used to do a bit of sewing, and I'm getting rather excited about the possibility of our wearing vintage!

I've even been reading how one can make their own dress form, out of duct tage!

I love beautiful things ~ and beautiful way of living.

XOXO,

Scarlett

m_8879797caa5aafed79cbcdf82dc8be92.gif

ScarlettTurner

New in Town
Hello, darling ladies

Hello, ladies ~

I am absolutely ape about vintage things and, like the poster before me,
am mad for vintage homemaking items and books.

I have a number of vintage cookbooks, and Home Ec books.

Fascinating!

XOXO,

Scarlett

glitter1header.gif

zaika

One Too Many
Hello there ladies! I'm so excited to have found this forum!
I've been passionate about the 1930/40/50's for about 16 years now. Around the ages of 12 or 13, I was obsessed with swing music and pre-war and wartime movies...generally anything I could get my hands on at the time. While everyone else was listening to Paula Abdul (I'm dating myself here...), I was listening to Glenn Miller and Cab Calloway. My friends had Jason Priestly on their walls...I had Bette Gable and Marlene Dietrich. If I had had the guts to stand out more than I already did in school, I would have dressed in the clothes too. At least I got as far as saddle shoes and my penny loafers. LOL.
I even wrote a WWII-era novel!!
Anyway...after a bad time in my life, during which most of my interests were put on the back burner, I've been getting back into it and I'm surprised at how passionate I still feel about the music and the times.
My only problem is that I'm overweight and can't really dress appropriately. While I've been losing weight, I still want to dress up. Any ideas or tips?
I also really want to learn how to swing dance (that might help take the pounds off, too!)...but I'm apprehensive at dancing whilst overweight. Anyone here have similar experiences?
Buy war bonds! :p hehe.
Annie

Feathers

Familiar Face
Greetings and salutations, all! I'm most excited to join this forum. I don't know anyone but myself and my fiance that are into vintage the way we are. It's not as easy as one would think, living in a big city, and trying to find others that think the same as we do! I simply adore the Jazz Age up to the 40s.

I'm a store manager for a large retail company and am getting married in October - the 7th, to be exact. We're very excited for this event, not only because it's the biggest day of our life, but also because it's a 1920s styled wedding! :D Complete with a live jazz quartet, flapper gowns for the bridesmaids, vintage wear for myself and my soon-to-be, plus lots of little extras that really add to the decorous evening. I'm simply chomping at the bit but I suppose I'll just have to cut myself a piece of cake until then!

I run a blog (when I have time - which is rarely at this time). Check it out and comment if any one of you have time! Thanks! ;)

http://feathersonthelevel.blogspot.com/

Feathers

Familiar Face
Why thank you!

Oh by the way, my name is Katrina. I sometimes go by Kat, so if you feel the urge, feel free to call by my nickname. :)

Kishtu

Practically Family
I've been loitering with intent for a couple of days struggling with this fascinating thing called email here at work *takes baseball bat and looks at computer*

Anyway I'm Kishtu (Kit really.... Kishtu was my late cat.... I digress) I'm 35 and I live in soggy West Cornwall, UK, with my lovely other half and our cat Graeme. As you can probably guess from the avatar we do 18th century re-enactment :D that was me at the Regency Ball in Bath last year. We also do 17th c. stuff - we make costumes professionally.

Himself is the grandson of a tailor so I've inherited/acquired a fair stash of period suit patterns and fabrics. For "everyday" I love swing style. I make all my own clothes. Can't dance unfortunately as both of us have medical conditions - OH has a heart condition and I have arthritis in both hips - but I can sit by and look the part.....!

Looking forward to meeting you all!!

>^.^<

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Hello!

Scarlett, we should start a thread on vintage household management and cookery (if there isn't already one) so we can swap recipes!

zaika, I think curvier ladies look great in Retro clothes. You can still do the hair and makeup, and I've found here in the UK (I don't know if it's the same over there) there are lots of market stalls/shops that do 'old lady clothes' which are usually quite old-fashioned - floral dresses cut in a 40s style etc. and in larger sizes. It actually bugs me a bit because I'm quite small and they don't do anything smaller than a uk 16. Also, they are much cheaper than real vintage!

Hi Kishtu, you are so lucky living in Cornwall, beautiful! and all those patterns, oh wow...:)

Kishtu

Practically Family
It's not a bad old spot Ada, we're near St Agnes but not on the coast - best of both worlds, we can go to the beach when we want to and we can go into town when we want to!

The thought crossed my mind, Him Indoors and I have promised ourselves that when the business gets the first four figures in the kitty we are going to treat ourselves to a night in London. We thought Rakehells sounded fun, but any other suitably period dance night will do just as well!

We're about a third of the way there, but what do any of our UK people think to making a wild weekend and a meet of it? It'd give me an incentive to get those fingers flying, the prospect of meeting you all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn