Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Archaeologist

New in Town
Hello (again),
I have been away for quite a while but have recently returned to the net. This place has really grown and I am in awe of the amount of info that has found its way here. Great job everyone. My interest in the 30's era has become like a monster consuming my spare time. I took my two young daughters to the 70th anniversary of the Brady Gang shoot-out in Bangor, Maine yesterday. It was a full blown re-enactment and yes we dressed the part, I can safely say that my girls are now hooked as well.
Im glad to be back and look forward to getting to know everyone.
Take care
Mike

carter

I'll Lock Up
It's nice to say "Hello" to the new folks as well as those who have been absent for awhile. So, "Hello, y'all."

It seems to me that some folks are introducing themselves on at least one other thread. Is it possible to merge these threads so there is one place to say hello to new members?

Just a suggestion. :) :fedora:

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
I have been looking around the Fedora Lounge for a good while, so I suppose I should finally introduce my self. My name is Bill Taylor, and I date from the "Golden Era". Born in 1932, started to school in 1938 and immediately found myself moved up to second grade. Texas, as did a lot of other states during that era, added the twelth grade in 1937-1938 and all students in school at that time were moved up one grade. I don't know when other states made that added grade move, although I think New Jersey in 1931 and Pennsylvania in 1933(or so). Does anyone else have information on dates for other states?

We lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area from 1958 until December 2006 (about 48 years). In December 2006, I retired and we moved to our farm located in "The Shoals" in northwest Alabama. We are a couple of miles from the Tennessee River and a few miles from the closest town. We love the lifestyle, although it is significantly different(and slower) from San Francisco. Strangely, since moving here, we have met 10 other Bay Area people who have retired or moved to this area. We already knew our Bay Area neigbors who moved here 2 or 3 years ago, so it's nearly like old home week.

I hope I can make contributions to the forum, as I remember the Golden Era well, especially the late 30's and the WWII years. I have two older sisters and an older brother who were in high school during WWII so I not only lived the 40's life but observed it through their eyes as well (generally playing the same 78 record (s) over and over again-"Well Meet Again" and "The White Cliffs of Dover" - Vera Lynn, sweetheart of the forces ). My Father was "overseas" during the duration of WWII (from late December 1941 until late 1945, so at home it was just my Mother, my two older sisters, my older brother and my younger brother. My older siblings were all born in the 20's(1926, 1928 and 1929. my younger brother in 1939. The war years were fun, but they were also "hard" years too. Ration stamps are complicated!

I look forward to participating in this wonderful forum. And I do have lots of fedoras and a magnificant fine panama from the 30's or 40's. It originally belonged to an uncle and I rescued it from being trashed. It had only been worn a couple of times, I think.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bill Taylor said:
... Texas, as did a lot of other states during that era, added the twelfth grade in 1937-1938 and all students in school at that time were moved up one grade. I don't know when other states made that added grade move, although I think New Jersey in 1931 and Pennsylvania in 1933(or so). Does anyone else have information on dates for other states? ...

Welcome to the Lounge. I look forward to your insight on things. To answer your question about school, I believe North Carolina added the 12th grade in 1942.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Comb, not brush!

SerenityAshes said:
Hello Ladies,

I'm new here as well.. I'm from Malta (a very tiny spot on the globe, just under Sicilly) and I've became an addict of this site.. I just can't get enough from viewing all the interesting topics and pictures that all the members put in here.

Everyone is talented and I feel like learning more, especially in the hair department, since I'm a partime hairdresser.. though I haven't got much experience in this section, and basically I want to learn for the sake to look different.. since practically all people in Malta dress "normal"

Anyways, at the moment I'm desperately trying to do a la Veronica Lake waves, though I'm super afraid to brush my hair once the curls are set.. I'm afraid that I'll end up like a clown!

I think you win for the most exotic location!If you gently comb each curl out first, then gently comb them together, you will not frizz. Nice to meet you!

lyburnum

Practically Family
Hello all, I'm new here. I can't actually remember how I found out about this site as it was a while ago and I never got around to joining. I think it may have been from the 'vintage hair' community on Livejournal. Anyway, I'm a photographer from London, UK working for Gap Kids/Baby as a visual merchandiser - oh the joys... I spend a lot of my spare time in antiques shops and I love love love sewing. In the last couple of weeks I completed making my wedding dress! I'm mostly into 1950s New Look fashions but wear 1940s here and there, particularly in the winter.

J.B.

Practically Family
Welcome, Bill Taylor! It's good to see you posting.

Big Man said:
...I look forward to your insight on things...

And of course, I'll second that!

BTW, there's a huge Texas/Arkansas/Southern contingent that hangs out at the "Hats" forum -- as you may have already observed... :)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Newbie!

:eek:fftopic: Kind Of.....

My name is Hayley and I have been browsing this forum for a few days now and have now joined up!

Just wanted to say I think you ladies are FABULOUS!

Not everyone understands that some of us just love era's of long ago! Where women were ladies with classic style!!!!

Im glad Ive found this forum!

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
deelovely said:
Do you still have family here? I am a Jax native, born and raised, 33 years!

My father and Grandfather are still in Fernandina. i've got cousins and extended family scattered about, but i don't really know them all that well.

DitzyDame

New in Town
(finally coming out of lurkdom, if only for a moment)

Erm... I meant to do this waaay before, but life kinda caught up with me and demanded attention :eek: so--

Hi everyone! [angel] You all have a really nice board here.

I really am a bit Ditzy(hence the user name), especially when forgetting to introduce myself, and disappear for days at a time from message boards. But it's nice to be here and I'll tryto post a little bit more often.

shooshoobaby1

New in Town
Hello. I am new here too. I found the Lounge when I was looking for some new 40's hairstyles on google, and I am so glad I did. You ladies are fabulous. I have so much to learn from you! I live in Tennessee and I am finishing up my B.S. in Public Relations for the recording industry. I am so glad to be here. :)

Antje

One Too Many
Hi everybody,
I'm new here, my name is Antje i'm from Holland,I'm 24 years old
when i was looking for some cool hairdo's I found this site and I really love it.

I love having my beautifull dogs and love showing them.

I'm a real Elvis Presley fan so I love a much later era than most of you because i'm really a fifties rockabilly girl and most of you are more 40's

When I have a day of I really like to dress fifties and wear my hair old fashioned I like having the old glamour look from those great old movies.

Maybe I'm gonna make me a pair of new outfits soon, because I saw a couple of cool things some of you made.

that's all for now, I hope you understand my writings, because I'm thinking dutch and than have to translate everething for myself.

greatings antje

lyburnum

Practically Family
I've already posted an intro in the Powder Room, but didn't notice this thread till today. I am slowly venturing out of the ladies threads into the rest of the forum!

I'm Ximena, I'm from London and I'm a photographer. I'm mostly into fifties fashion (I love big dresses) but in the winter I mostly dress in forties. I'm not sure why this is. I love jiving and sewing and compared to most people my age I'm probably pretty old fashioned not only in how I dress but also in my beliefs about manners and conduct etc etc. Generally I dress in vintage clothes whenever I'm not working. I have a boyfriend whom I've been seeing for almost four years... only he lives 4000 miles away from me in Detroit! He's also into vintage - particularly classic cars (he does live in motor city after all) and I'm currently trying to persuade him to join the forum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy