Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Classics

New in Town
New Member Intro

Greetings, all.

I stumbled across your site while searching for information on fedora styles and then spent my evening reading.

I'm a graduate student in Classics with an interest in dressing well. I rather like cravats, fedoras, cognac, and poetry.

So, well, hello!

I'm happy to answer questions.

S

Samsa

Welcome! It's always good to see someone else from Michigan join. I assume you're studying at U of M?

Just a Guy in West Virginia...

...or I suppose I should say suburban Washington D.C. since I'm located about 2 miles from the Loudoun County VA border about 55 miles from the big city. The idea of an introduction forum/topic is great. We're toying with that notion on our community website.

We operate an essentially uncensored vB forum in addition to an extensive collection of local history on our little portion of the Blue Ridge Mountain that borders VA. The few common sense rules that this and other discussion groups have do apply, but we do allow anonymity. Consequently the profiles are sparse. This type of venue gives a chance to flesh out the person participating, a particularly handy factor in a community setting.

In the profile I state I'm a CA survivor. It's been 3 years since a metastatic tumor was removed from my neck. They haven't found the primary site and I sure hope it never makes an appearance. Radiation of the throat was the price I've had to pay, so far, for too much booze and tobacco. But Boyoboy, I miss those days, sometimes.

I love to read mystery and suspense novels(along with a smattering of Sci Fi) and am an avid fan of TCM as I suspect many of you are, too. When I quit drinking 16 years ago, I took up cross stitch to fill the time and found it remarkably soothing. It also had a hand in helping me quit smoking. Unfortunately, a lot of that has gone by the board with the caregiver role I assumed(gladly) of my now 100 year old Mom(October 20th-who'd have thunk it). Some of you might enjoy the thread with a couple of youtube spots embedded HERE

Anyhoo, as a Webservant, most of my life is an open book. We decided that as admins of a community site, no anonymity would be afforded the honchos. So if you're curious about more details have at it. I'm logging on this website for two reasons. One, I'm fascinated by the days of yore-those days when Dad wore nothing but Stetson fedoras and Mom wore those nifty cloche hats. TCM and those oldies and goodies thrill me.

Secondly I was prompted by a purchase I made at The Fedora Store dot com which is apparently affiliated with Hats Americas dot com. The Bossman there said he'd like to see the comment I made to him upon receipt of a hat posted on this board. If this is inappropriate-I expect you'll excise the comment. But I was impressed by the product So here's what I said:
Subject: The hat I just received

I've bought quite few hats, mostly fedoras- two Borsalino's were my priciest buys and I've tried Peters Bros Indy's, Bailey and Scala among others, but that Beaver Brand Teardrop has to be the snazziest- You guys make me wish I had two heads. I'll likely be back long before I grow another, though. It is a class act.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to introduce myself. Given my present situation, I can only expect to enjoy your members' activities vicariously. I've apparently much to learn about the re-emergence of the 1900's Fedora Era besides the hat style, judging from the massive db on this site:eek:

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
A man of refined taste, welcome.
Try to have your term papers involve the Golden Age somehow and your time here can be considered research.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Greetings, Finally

Hello to all,
I must apologize for my rudeness. I've been a member for a few months, posted several messages, and exchanged a few PMs - but I haven't properly introduced myself.

So...John K Stetson here. I stumbled onto this site from one of several others that are clothing or style related, and I really enjoy the additional topics. I am far from a vintage-holic (?) but enjoy much of the design (objects, architecture, accessories and some clothing) from the
30's, 40's, and 50's. I will say I appreciate the skill those of you who are really into the vintage "thing" have and put into your homes and lifestyle.

I hope to contribute in a few areas, more from an anecdotal or informational than "expert" perspective, and hope to learn as well -especially about hats.

About the member id....my dad worked at John B Stetson when they were in Philadelphia in the late 50's and early 60's, so it seems fitting to co-opt the name and change the middle initial. I recall visiting the factory as a youngster and thinking "what is this place! Heat, steam, heat, heat! Men stripped to undershirts, but it is 30 degrees F outside! Isn't this dangerous?!? " Perhaps this wasn't the best era for Stetson or hats in general, but it was my introduction to hats in a most visceral way.

Thanks for being here.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy