Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

TackyAnnie

New in Town
Howdy from Texas!

I'm currently living deep in the heart of Texas. It's wonderful here. I'm looking forward to the bluebonnets this year! Currently, I'm working on a bachelors in social work. I became interested in the Golden Age through swing dance. I love it. If I weren't in school, I'd do it all the time! I also am interested in sewing from vintage patterns and I'm a self proclaimed antique junkie.. on a budget ;)

I'm very excited to have found the lounge! I'm really looking foward to learning from all of you!

-- TackyAnnie

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Hello! I'm miserabelle - don't worry! I'm not nearly so dramatic as my name makes out, just named after a character of mine which is something I do; I'm an illustrator and character design gets to be a big part of my work.

I love fashion, and its history... I suppose vintage appeals to me because of the films I used to watch as a kid, I was always very into musicals and costuming... there's just something about those films that really fills me with awe.

Day to day I dress in sort of a meshed up forties or fifties style depending on what's practical. I always do my hair and I hate going out without my red lipstick on. I've not got much of a vintage collection but I just started buying some vintage sewing patterns which my mom has graciously made up for me. I'm just here to chat, and learn really, it seems like real fun here!

xx

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
hello to everyone new! i'm sure i'll see you around the board! :)

miserabelle said:
I've not got much of a vintage collection but I just started buying some vintage sewing patterns which my mom has graciously made up for me.

:eek: you have no idea how envious i am!!! oh to have someone sew my dresses for me!! lucky gal!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
miserabelle said:
Hello! I'm miserabelle - don't worry! I'm not nearly so dramatic as my name makes out, just named after a character of mine which is something I do; I'm an illustrator and character design gets to be a big part of my work.

I love fashion, and its history... I suppose vintage appeals to me because of the films I used to watch as a kid, I was always very into musicals and costuming... there's just something about those films that really fills me with awe.

Day to day I dress in sort of a meshed up forties or fifties style depending on what's practical. I always do my hair and I hate going out without my red lipstick on. I've not got much of a vintage collection but I just started buying some vintage sewing patterns which my mom has graciously made up for me. I'm just here to chat, and learn really, it seems like real fun here!

xx
I know! I'm so lucky, she's really patient too. A lot of the older patterns don't have such detailed instructions. I want to learn how to do it myself, too though. She's really amazing xxxx

sinatras_gal

New in Town

Hello everyone, I'm new...yes yes indeed, so therefore I'm posting an introduction.
My name is Sabs, and I believe I am a pretty young member here...probably the youngest, um what brought me here was chance and
I immediately loved the idea that there were more people out there somewhat like myself.
I 'm in love with the 1940's , late 30's and I try to live it in all that I do...
mentally I have that down pat, but I do (as is visible) go onto the computer and use technology once in awhile...for my vintage needs of course haha.
Um my collection of actual period clothing is growing...which hopefully
will become my entire wardrobe one day. Im definately not afraid to wear it
in public , because well...so far so good...I'm constantly complimented :)
and people tell me right away " your so old fashioned" and that usually gives me a smile :D.
I'm one of the greaaatest Frank Sinatra fans out there...and I love big band..
I'm a ballerina...and that's all I'm willing to share.

:) see you in the posts!

Sabs

Pip

A-List Customer
Hi all,

fairly new to here, have been reading before I registered as such however.

Name's Philip Smith-Keary, 18 years old living in Worcestershire (England), mainly interested in the 1930's and 40's, particularly the '39-'45 period. But my love for the eras has expanded tenfold over the last couple of months, I guess it comes down to maturity/appreciating the finer things in life really :D

Also have a love for old film, cinema, and dancing (older stuff ala waltz, square tango, tango, veleta etc (still learning though...I'm positively awful at the moment haha)).

All the best,
Pip.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Pip, hope you have fun here!

Pip said:
Hi all,

fairly new to here, have been reading before I registered as such however.

Name's Philip Smith-Keary, 18 years old living in Worcestershire (England), mainly interested in the 1930's and 40's, particularly the '39-'45 period. But my love for the eras has expanded tenfold over the last couple of months, I guess it comes down to maturity/appreciating the finer things in life really :D

Also have a love for old film, cinema, and dancing (older stuff ala waltz, square tango, tango, veleta etc (still learning though...I'm positively awful at the moment haha)).

All the best,
Pip.

Tifa

Familiar Face
Hello everyone!

I've been dropping by many times but just joined recently and started posting as well!

I’m Tifa, a 24 year old swedish gal who recently moved to Stockholm from Gothenburg.

I collect all kinds of stuff from the 40’s and 50’s especially furniture, clothes, shoes ect
Obsessed with old burlesque queens and Hollywood starlets and occasionally do some pinup/retro modeling.

I can definitely be seen at clubs like Hootchy Kootchy in Stockholm, Lady Luck and Flash Monkey in London with a drink in my hand :p

Ok, that’s all for now! :)

/Tifa

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
Hey There, My name is Newbie

I am a newbie, completely. I'm originally from Columbus, MS. (Very excited to hear about AB in the new Indy, right out of my home town) I moved to atlanta with my fiance a little over a year ago. I'm on the verge of 24, a real property appraiser, and have just begun to buy dress hats. I'm in no position to start a huge collection of really expensive, handmade hats, but I am slowly building my collection. I think Akubra will be a nice first step into the realm of hats above 80 bucks. Well thats me.

Gabe

Petty Nihilist

New in Town
I've been lurking for a while. A long while. I decided today was the day I'd step in, but I admit it has taken me all day to muster the courage to post in something so trivial as the "Hello" thread.

I was brought here by the hats, but longed to really be a part of the community once I dug in a bit. I've always felt a bit lost in this era. Things are too fast and too easy; frankly, I find it hard to swallow.

My head has been covered almost constantly from as far back as my toddling years (The irony, then, of my uncovered avatar is not lost on me.); nothing fancy, couple of LL Bean Crushables and a Dorfman Pacific. Recently picked up a Jaxon Iconoclast (Haven't messed the brim at all, straight as an Amishman still--is that allowed?) but have not yet taken the plunge to beaver. The time I've spent here has made it clearly inevitable that I'm going to soon be forfeiting an unknown amount to Mister Fawcett.

I hand roll Top, drink about anything and am an altogether un-knowledgeable hat and coat enthusiast. Looking forward to learning from, and getting to know, you all.

gingermore

Familiar Face
I'm here

Hello there,

I've been checking out Powder Room and Beauty forums for awhile to help me with my vintage hairstyles (getting there... I'm determined to master the finger wave).

When I was a kid, here in Australia every Saturday a guy called Bill Collins hosted "old" movies. My dad was out playing in a band most Saturday nights and mum and I stayed home and watched the movies. I fell in love with hollywood glamour; clothes, music, dancing, and gorgeous art deco sets. I think Fred Astaire is (was) hot. Ditto for Sinatra.

Through all the dark years when hipsters were "it" I (and my big hips and bum) suffered. I'm now rejoicing that is much easier to find high waists and clothes that rejoice in the female form.

I sing jazz tunes from the 30s to the 50s and dress vintage for my shows. Really, the gigs are just an excuse... I'm working towards wearing vintage every day. I prefer 1930s styles.

My dad plays in a neo-swing jump blues band (www.swingitgeelong.com) so I've had a bit of contact with the swing dance scene. Would love to learn swing dancing but I live in a small town and no-one is providing lessons.

I adore art deco design and would love to live in an art deco home. I'm into trains and ocean-liners.

Nice to be here.

Check out my pages

www.sarahandbrownie.com
www.myspace.com/sarahdwyer8
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sarah-Dwyer/20787327672

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
TackyAnnie said:
I'm currently living deep in the heart of Texas. It's wonderful here. I'm looking forward to the bluebonnets this year! Currently, I'm working on a bachelors in social work. I became interested in the Golden Age through swing dance. I love it. If I weren't in school, I'd do it all the time! I also am interested in sewing from vintage patterns and I'm a self proclaimed antique junkie.. on a budget ;)

I'm very excited to have found the lounge! I'm really looking foward to learning from all of you!

-- TackyAnnie

Do you dance?

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Like many others, I have been lurking here at the FL-frequently- and occasionally posting, so today I decided it was time to introduce myself.

My name is John, I'm a single 48 year old Dad of 2 sons, the oldest of whom works in the Food Service Industry, and the youngest is a US Marine assigned to the Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team. I live in northeast Ohio, and after leaving a life of playing music, now work as an Account Manager for a commercial furniture leasing company. I drive a Chevy HHR -which I chose because I liked the vintage styling- and listen to Jazz, Swing, Western Swing, anything I find that moves me in some way...

I found the FL primarily through my interest in hats. I've been wearing hats since my Mom dressed me in Suits and Fedoras as a little guy, which eventually lead to my Grandpa giving me my first Stetson, a hand-me-down which I dearly loved,when I was 14. Through 25 years as a working musician, I always wore hats on stage, and even though I no longer play, hats are still a huge part of my personal identity. Fedoras, Newsboys, Panamas, I like them all.

The FL is such an excellent source of information about so many points of interest I share with everyone else here, and I am truly happy to have found you all.

CeceliaRose

New in Town
Hello ladies!

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents... I've been browsing around here for a couple of days and thought it was finally time to join. I'm new to the vintage scene, but I've always loved history, the 1930's-1940's especially (I'm a reformed history major, actually!). I really like the vibe you guys put out here, and I'm looking forward to reading (and participating) more! :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome all!

Its been a while since I posted to this thread so howdy to all the ladies new and otherwise.

Please, if you have a tid-bit of knowledge, dont be afraid to add it to our threads. We are all students here and are always wanting to learn more.

CeceliaRose, a history major, eh! Cool, maybe you can add some sound historical references to our conversations!

See you gals!

LD

Rathko

New in Town
I, too, have been lurking for some time. The problem with being a lurker is that you feel as though you’re on first name terms with all the regular posters when, in truth, they don’t know you from Adam. So here I am hoping to remedy that.

I was drawn to the site several months ago by a random Googling of Borsalino fedoras and have stuck around simply to ogle at the fine clothes on display and soak up some of the knowledge. I’ve always been interested in clothes, whether it be the court coats of Louis XVI’s retainers or the Duke of Windsor’s tennis attire. I once had dreams of being a tailor but there were few apprenticeship opportunities in East Yorkshire in the early nineties and so now I work in the arts in Los Angeles, bitterly despairing at the ill-fitting suits of those who earn more in a Christmas bonus than I do in an entire year.

So good afternoon, all. It’s good to be here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran