Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Maja

New in Town
Newbie present...

Hi everybody, I just posted for the first time a minute ago, so I guess introducing myself would be the proper thing to do :)

My name is Maja and I'm a 26 year old Dane.

I've always had a facination with old things/design, I just always liked them better, so now I've started wearing the clothes that I really love regardless of what others might think, and it's absolutely fabulous! I feel so much more comfortable and I actually get a lot of positive response.

I've been hanging out at the Lounge quite a lot lately, it's just so refreshing to be among like minded people, and the atmosphere is just really pleasant.

I especially like that people here are so into creative things like sewing which has always been my prefered hobby.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Maja

Ginger422

New in Town
I'm Ginger. I'm 34, a wife, a mother (of 4), a photographer (pinups and portraits and kids). I found the site while looking for info on pincurls and how to do them. I love this place. There is so much helpful info in the beauty section. So much to read! This is my first post so I figured it should be an introduction. So hello all!

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I just joined the other day. Stumbled on to this site looking for a Safari Jacket, and just loved the site.

Being a cowboy (well a wanabe, but my family raises cows, so I'll take the moniker), I wear a cowboy hat on my off days. Being a business man, I wear a fedora often in the winter, and a panama in the summer.

I like classic styles (Brooks Brothers etc), and am FAR from Trendy. Saddle Oxfords since College here.

I use fountain pens, wear braces (suspenders), and often a tie bow tie, just for a change up.

I spend a little time out West, and it's Frock Coats, Vests, and Pocket watches for me when I am there.

A little information for a start anyway...

And for the ladies here... 40's and 50's style dress is awesome... wish more women could see that.

Steve

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
details

I was raised in the Mississippi Delta(Greenville), graduated in Columbus, MS at New Hope, am an alumni of the University of Alabama, and now live in GA. Loyalty seems to be very very very relative. Of course my affinity towards fedoras developed later in life. I've been playing blues music for 10 years, and it seems fitting that I join a forum that knows the look, style, and love....

retromom712

New in Town
hi, i'm angelic from washington state..i'm a mom of two, married to a soldier...i love old movies and movie stars...i love the family values of days past..not much elseabout me...but i love this place....sooooo much info!!:eusa_clap :)

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Newbie here

Hi I'm Julie and I'm from Dayton Ohio.
I'm a civillian dental assistant at Wright-Pat AFB.
I've always loved the 40's look but have never had the nerve to do anything but wear a piece here and there.
I came here on a search for finger waves and pin curls as I have shorter hair (as you can see in my pic) and decided to stay awhile.

Where can a girl get a dry martini around here?

smokey

New in Town
Hello I am new to the lounge stumbled upon the place while I was searching for a Dapper Dan pomade can. I am a Civil War WWII and Vietnam war reenactor so naturally vintage stuff facinates me! This is really a kool comunity nice to know there are others out there like me.

Taylor

Mixmaster

New in Town
Howdy!

Hello all! My name is Sherri, and I am brand new to the Lounge. I'm 36 years old, and am a painter/adjunct college professor in mid-Michiagn. I ran into this forum gooling info on my new (to me) 1950's Westinghouse roaster.

My husband is a WWII afficianado, and I've always been attracted to mid-century style. When we bought our 1930's house, we decided the obvious thing to do was to fill it with funky mid-century antiques/collectables!

Mostly we stick to objects from the late 40's (war era) up through the 1960's. I prefer anything with a sense of humor to it - anything shaped like a rocket, bullet, flying saucer, sputnik, or boomerang. Anything forward-thinking and "futuristic" (without getting into the all-plastic 70's futuristic look - which is cool in it's own right, but way out of our time period).

Hubby says I "collect collections", and he is right. I have a fairly large collection of old cooking pamphelets - the kind of small cookbooks that were either sold with a kitchen appliance, or were meant to sell a specific product - like Jell-o or Spry's shortening. And I like 'em with bad graphics - the worse the food looks, the more I like them (part of the sense-of-humor thing).

I have a couple of sets of vintage china too (5 of my 7 sets of china are vintage) - one of them I use as my every day plates!

I also collect kitchen appliances. Specifically old mixers (I have 19 - mostly Sunbeam Mixmasters - dating in range from the late 1930's to the mid 1960's), but I have branched off into owning one example of any kitchen appliance I think is still safe to use and would look good in my kitchen (such as my new roaster). Mostly I stick to turquoise (to match my vintage kitchen tile), and I have a weakness for anything chrome.

I belong to a couple of collector groups for vintage appliances and have learned how to partially re-build my old mixers and get them purring again. It's a fun and rewarding hobby, but most people just don't "get it".

I'm also an avid estate-saler and eBayer - so expect new finds from time-to-time from me on some of the other threads!

I look forward to sharing my passion for mid-century design with other afficianados, and if you have any vintage mixer questions - I'm your gal!

CeceliaRose

New in Town
Mixmaster said:
Hello all! My name is Sherri, and I am brand new to the Lounge. I'm 36 years old, and am a painter/adjunct college professor in mid-Michiagn. I ran into this forum gooling info on my new (to me) 1950's Westinghouse roaster.

Welcome to a fellow Michigander! I went to college in mid-Michigan. Lots of good schools there. :)

Mixmaster

New in Town
Oh yeah....

Like my last post wasn't long enough....:rolleyes:

I'm also a performer at the local Michigan Renaissance Festival and do all of my own costuming (I play the town seamstress - not much of a stretch!) I haven't gotten into any vintage clothing (except aprons), since I am a large gal, and there just isn't any vintage clothing out there in plus sizes....but since I have experience in Elizabethan corsetry, I have considered designing and making my own vintage-insipred couture (in my spare time, with my extra hand!)

And I looooove anything Frank Sinatra or Rat Pack!

CeceliaRose

New in Town
Mixmaster said:
Where did you go to college? I got my undergrad at CMU and am currently shopping for grad schools...

Glad to met you!

I went to Alma.. used CMU's library quite a few times though, for research.

I go to the MI Renaissance Festival practically every year. My dance school used to perform there on Highland Fling weekend with one of the pipe bands, but it's been a few years since we've done that.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Hello I'm Julie and I'm new.
I already introduced myself in the Powder Room but I haven't said hi in here yet.
I love all things 1940's. Maybe a past life? Who knows?
Anyway I look forward to getting to know you all.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
newbie from Canada

I found the lounge while doing a little research for my first non-cowboy hat. Pleasantly surprised to see members from so many places.

I'm sure this will lend an international spice to all the chats and discussions to come.

Cheers.

C79

Panache

A-List Customer
Knowing I'm a longtime lover of hats, a friend of mine on a Kilt Forum with me gave me a nudge in your direction. I have always loved the fashion styles in such movies as " The Maltese Falcon", "The Big Sleep", "Casablanca", and of course all the "Thin Man" movies. While I love Highland attire I sometimes forgo it just for the chance to wear one of my fedoras (New York Hat company and such, not really in the league of the grand hats shown off here).

I joined up to do some research on deerstalker hats of all things (but then found a nice one at a reasonable price at this great little hat shop in Los Gatos)

This is a very fun and informative site that I have greatly enjoyed perusing. While I'm not likely to post very much I thought I would offer salutations and compliment you all on this very nice place.

I tip my plumed hat to you all

Cheers

GWD

One Too Many
Hello all

Hello all, please allow myself to introduce myself :rolleyes: My name is Gary and I live in Orange County, California. (please don't hold that against me, I'm not like that). I'm a rare California native born in 1967. I'm in the pipeline construction business and I absolutely hate it but it pays the bills. As you can see by some of my posts, I'm a family man with a lovely wife and two gorgeous daughters. My wife is a dance teacher and both my girls are seasoned competitive dancers. I recently have developed an obsession for vintage fedoras which led me to this site. I have learned very much in the short time I've been here and have enjoyed the very wide and diverse membership here. I would very much like to join the you at the Queen Mary but my wife simply doesn't share my latest obsession and I doubt she would understand me going it alone. So far my membership here is without regret and I'm looking forward to "Threading" you all!

ft

New in Town
Hello all!

I have been visiting for some time and finally decided to jump off the porch and join. I would like to say thank you to the members and staff for providing the wealth of expertise and experience on this board. With the knowledge gained here I have successfully pseudo restored 3 vintage (?) jackets.

My name is Alan, I'm 46 and reside northwest of Chicago. I have come to appreciate the finer things in life over the last several years. As well I have come to the realization that the majority of them were produced prior to my birth LOL. The lure of the days when quality was king is very strong.

My tastes are not as one dimensional as I will probably appear at first but my current focus is on 40's 50's and maybe even early 60's motorcycle gear and attire. Being an avid rider since age 8,,, well there it is...

Thanks again!
AJ

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Hello to all the ladies!

Hello all my name is Caroline. I stumbled upon FL while looking for Atomic magazine online. Most of my active wardrobe is 40's & 50's era, and I have still more items sitting in the back of my closet. Well you've all inspired me to dig out my other items! All the photos of you ladies are lovely and you look so genuinely happy!

My husband and I own a 100 year old worker's cottage (1st time owner - tips appreciated) that we are fixing up slooooowly and have furnished much of it with a mishmash of not-exactly-antiques. We love old movies and I listen to jazz on the radio. We have 2 children also, both girls, and I'd love to dress them in golden age outfits but one thinks she's a horse and the other thinks she's a princess, so that will have to wait a few more years. :p

Looking forward to posting here! I'll put up a proper avatar of myself soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo