Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Reddog

New in Town
Fedora lover

hi, my name is Bill, I am a big hat guy, not into big hats just big into hats.
I have several dozen hats and caps. I used to wear only western hats but over the years I have evolved into all kinds and types of hats. Now I have mostly fedoras and caps. Last summer I spent several months working in Puerto Rico and fell in love with Panamas, I now own five Panamas which I get many complements on? I have a 25 year old beaver Charlie One horse, A Stetson beaver Gambler and a Ristol classic western. I've a few Aussies and several Tilleys. I 've a few Borsalino fedoras. i habd a few Newsboy caps which I enjoy wearing with suits. I am also recently into wearing Bow Ties, habit g finally learned to tie one, I wear one frequently so not to forget how. I wear some kind of hat every day. so I guess I am in the right place to chat with other hat lovers.

tamchronic

New in Town
Hello everyone! I've been lurking around here for a little while, and I thought I'd finally create an account and introduce myself.

I'm a student living in Australia, and I've always had a love for history. I admire and dabble in a wide range of historical and vintage-inspired styles, such as Regency, Victorian and Edwardian fashion as well as Japanese neo-Victorian style. Recently my interest in the 1920s-1950s has been steadily growing, which brought me to this wonderful forum.

I'm hoping to learn a lot more about the fashion, music and general style of the era, specifically my favourite decade, the 1950s. I'm still very new to this sort of vintage, and I'm excited to be a part of The Fedora Lounge :)

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
I'm a young man (Turned 21 in September) and my favorite type of film is noir. This led to a slight obsession with vintage stuff and lingo. I bought a vintage (1940's) record player and records. Then I bought a vintage cathedral radio. Then came the buying of vintage neckties. Soon enough I started wearing suits frequently. I later ordered a cheap fedora shown below (Jaxon, $30):

Me-1-4.jpg

It got damaged recently, so I decided to order a new one. But none of the fedoras currently made matched what I really wanted, which was something that was crafted exactly like an old fedora. I stumbled on this site look for one, then the posters here gave me an idea that would have occurred to any intelligent sucker ages ago: simply buy a fedora actually made in the 40's.

So I went to ebay and found exactly what I looking for in precisely my size (nothing fancy; it was made in Ohio by someone independent). I ordered it, the only defect of it being that the lining inside was coming out. So as soon as I got it I took it to a tailor to repair for fifteen bucks, and she remarked: "Wow--this was all hand sewn--I've never seen that before." I grinned with pride and she told me because the hat was so beautiful and well made she would do it justice and repair it by hand, without a machine.

Shortly after that I decided to come back here and take a closer look at this site.

My favorite actor would have to be Bogie. I've been compared to him in real life lately, from speech down to his subtle mannerisms (Breathless?).

Interests include: Pulp stories, single malt scotch, Chesterfield cigarettes, and trying to get dates with women like a noir character would (I've found it a rather successful approach).

natidahling

New in Town
Hi all!
I remember visiting the FL some years back and never joining...but a few weeks ago I stumbled back upon this lovely place when I needed some pointers on a vintage manicure and you ladies more than came through ;)
Since then I've spent just a little bit of time here in the Powder Room and I've seen so many pretty dresses/hairstyles/kindred spirits I just had to get over my lurker status and say Hi!
I mean, what else could I do? You are all such a lovely bunch!
I've spent most of my (lurking) time here in the Powder Room because boys scare me and I scare them so...
:rolleyes:
Anyway, my name is Natalia, I live in the SF Bay Area, I love vintage fashion (and old movies, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, ellipses, etc)...and, well, that's about it for now, girls :)

Isabel Godfrey

New in Town
Hello all!
I'm a college student in Brussels for a semester and I, too, have been lurking for a couple months and finally decided to register an account. I actually don't remember how I found the Fedora Lounge, somehow it linked from the WWII research I've been doing for the past year. I'm just starting to get into vintage styles, and I don't know anyone who really agrees with my style. My favourite decades are the 40s and 50s. I'm hoping to really define my style soon, and I'm sure talking to other like-minded individuals will be helpful.

kls3kathy

New in Town
Hello, I'm new here, I'm an army wife living in Colorado Springs. I'm enjoying reading this forum, lots of good stuff on here!

Magpye

New in Town
Hi ladies, I should probably have introduced myself here instead of just wading into the 'show us your hair do's' thread but I didn't see it so I do apologise! :eek:

I've been lurking for a year or two now having been introduced to the site through a lady form another forum. I'm a student from the UK, just finishing up my last year of college studying English Literature, Photography and Fine Art. I'm absolutely art mad!

My favourite decades are the 40s and 50s but I don't know very much yet as I've only just started scratching the surface when it comes to vintage!

Auburn-Jane

New in Town
greetings

greetings everyone, my name is Jane and I ran into this site a few times actually as references for era style of clothing for a few parties I was hostessing. As far as style goes, well i tend to mix the old with the new, same goes for my music interests which is broad to say the least.

my favourite era is the golden age of 1930's and the practicality of the 1940's

my favourite actors are Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart

actresses: Joan Crawford Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn

fedora: I don't own any but i do have a pill box hat.

how often do i dress vintage, well i tend to twist and modernize looks, though i often go full out when the occasion calls for it and if i can find a decent look for my longer then vintage hair.

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
I mix vintage and modern too. For instance, on the modern side I have all my trousers tailored without pleats and most tailored without cuffs. I also have my jackets double-vented in the rear. Rather than loose-fitting I like my pants to show off my body.

On the vintage side I have my waists tapered, and I tend to wear a vintage tie, fedora and cufflinks (my favorite pair is from the 1920's and are 14k gold).

Nothin' to be ashamed of, mixing the old and the new--the only vintage I own (and look how long I've been here!) is a suit and an overcoat originally made for my grandfather that are retired into "archives" to protect them from a moth problem and further wear damage (I'm brutal on clothes).

If you know what you're doing, even with off-the-shelf modern you can still fake a reasonably vintage look--it takes a good eye to notice all the little "Not GI Spec" things about my WWII-inspired daily wardrobe, so with a little skill and the right attitude you can still make the look work even with new stuff--it is a lot easier for guys, though.

Welcome Aboard, y'all!

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
I don't entirely go vintage--even though I would like to--because I'm not old enough. It makes me look silly. There are a lot of things I might be able to look good in when I'm thirty or forty that I don't think look good on me at twenty-one. Homburg, cane, coat (other than a trenchcoat), suspenders, three-piece, ect. Vintage touches like pleats I think are more complimentary to a guy who's been aged a bit than to a kid like myself.

ShabbySweets10

New in Town
Hi, My name is Dee and I am the owner of Shabby Confections Shoppe of Apple Valley, Ca. I am here for the reasons of learning more about the vintage lifestyle, meeting some new friends, networking for possible vendors of vintage wares and just all around girl talk!

We opened this shoppe to share our love of all things vintage and girly. We have furnished our shoppe with items that charm all 5 senses like bakery candles, quilts and other handmade items. We cater to people who love 30s -40s vintage as well as Shabby Chic Style.

My son Dylan (Finalvestige79 aka GranadaGuy) finally arranged for me to get a profile on this forum, he has been on for a long time and has badgered the heck out of me about getting on here.

I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Dee

Deodand

New in Town
Hey,

Just thought I'd introduce myself as a new member :) I figured there is no better way to start posting than to introduce myself.
I don't really know much of what to say, so if you wanna know anything, just ask.

:D

Auburn-Jane

New in Town
Packin' Heat said:
I don't entirely go vintage--even though I would like to--because I'm not old enough. It makes me look silly. There are a lot of things I might be able to look good in when I'm thirty or forty that I don't think look good on me at twenty-one. Homburg, cane, coat (other than a trenchcoat), suspenders, three-piece, ect. Vintage touches like pleats I think are more complimentary to a guy who's been aged a bit than to a kid like myself.

I agree I am 21 as well and would love to go to the nines, and when I do I feel very confident but also over dressed at times, its nice to mute things down a touch to fit the occasion.

over the past year ive grown my hair out and have kept a more relaxed late 60's style minus the twiggy lashes

James007

Familiar Face
Introduce your self

Hi I am new to this site, and i thought i would tell every one a little about my self!
I am in my early forty's father of two boys, marred for twelve years.

have dressed in vintage world war one and world war two Uniforms for CBC Documentary here in Canada.
Buying a Nineteen thirty's car this coming year and I am looking to rent it for Weddings, so i am trying to find all i need to know on dressing in the time period as i plan to dress that way as the Chauffeur.

cheers

James

xwray

Familiar Face
James007 said:
Hi I am new to this site, and i thought i would tell every one a little about my self!
I am in my early forty's father of two boys, marred for twelve years.

cheers

James

Hi James007...welcome to the forum.

I've been married 52 years with five kids...got a little marred myself during the process...sorry, couldn't resist.

Sounds like an interesting project you're starting up - good luck with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy