Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Hello there - glad to now be a member! My name is Marcia and I live in Alexandria, Virginia.

I found you while searching for information about a vintage Borsalino hat I discovered during one of my treasure hunts at an estate sale. What can I say - I'm an estate sale junkie! I live for the weekends when I have the time to check out the local sales. I just wish I could know more of the history and stories behind some of my "treasures" I've been lucky enough to find.

I look forward to posting and learning and getting to know you folks!

Welcome to the lounge! You will find some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet in here. And just post some pics or descriptions of some of your estate sale treasures and you'll be amazed at the amount of knowledge your fellow loungers have.

funda62

New in Town
Hi I'm Heather, mom to two and Army wife. I currently live in South Korea where I shop for fabric like maniac. Will be returning to the US in May. I'm also a full time graduate student and homeschooler. I sew for myself and my girls and LOVE vintage clothing, shoes, and homewares. Looking forward to know all of you and get great tips on where to find plus sized patterns and RTW vintage inspired.

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
Hallo, everyone!

I've been peeking in the door for quite some time, finally decided to step inside.

I need a little style in my life: although I've been interested in vintage clothing for a long time, I seem to have reverted to sloppy t-shirt and jeans! Which is silly, since I love lipstick and swirly skirts. Manicures, on the other hand, baffle me. That's why pockets exist.

Today I'm off to see if I can get the local hairdresser to do a more vintage cut. And to brighten my day with a new lipstick!

Then it is time to start figuring out what a fashionable middle-aged woman would have been wearing in 1948...

Petal

New in Town
Hi
I have been lurking for sometime, mostly I just love to read the enthusiasm everyone has for stylish cloths.
I have collected for my self for years, but unfortunately due to figure changes ,all I can do is a Vanna White fondle of most of my items and remember the day I last wore them.

Recently I have acquired quit a few things from my Grandmother and grandfathers collection. .I know I should pass them along as sitting unworn makes me feel guilty of how they should be appreciated and loved.
So I am compiling a list and photos….
I’m also hitting the downsizing stage of my life and I need to be realistic and part with my lovers,,ahhah
Silly but I may end up in therapy in the future due to separation anxiety.

My husband calls me an unrealistic hoarder of weird stuff…Hard to make a minimalist understand…ah,,well

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
I've been looking around this website since last week and I've found it really informative on Everything. I was looking for vintage hairstyling when I stumbled upon this. I'm very happy so far with all these things I've read.
However, I am having a hard time knowing what to wear with my 40's/50's styled hair :/
Thank you everyone though for the useful information :)

However, I am having a hard time knowing what to wear with my 40's/50's styled hair :/
Thank you everyone though for the useful information :)

If you look above at post #3806 I listed a couple of books that you can find. Check the info out about them at Amazon.com to get more info. The people that put together those 2 books have similar books for the various decades. After that you can look at films made in that time period to get some insights as to fashion. Although, some will tell you to balance what you see in film with actual photos of the regular public from that time so you can base you look on reality versus a stylized Hollywood version of the times.

vintagedancer

New in Town
Speaking of great books the Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step by Step Techniques www.vintagehairstyling.com is an excellent book for 40's/50's hairstyles. Ive' had it a few months and I have learned a lot and managed to make a few of the styles turn out good.
As for clothes it all depends on what your personal style is and what "look" you like best. The most trendy right now is the pin up or bombshell look with tight pencil dresses. There are a handful of very good retailers who make these. If you want vintage clothes, etsy.com is a good start- just be careful with ordering the right size. Vintage clothes fit different then modern clothes and you may need to add an extra inch all around to be more comfortable.

Best wishes!

Nina Suluh

New in Town
Hi there! I follow your blog and the NewVintageLady blog, actually and that's how I ended up here. I'm terribly surprised that I didn't hear about this place before now, since I've been collecting vintage since... oh.... 1980something or other.

When I was younger, the ArtNouveau era was a favorite, but now that I'm MUCH older, I like a mishmash of eras. I like my furniture 1930s because of the scale, I like the 40s & 60s for children's clothing patterns and I like the 20s for architecture. Our home was built in 1921, actually.

I collect vintage sewing machines and have a 1907 Willcox & Gibbs parlor cabinet treadle machine, a 1930s-50s (dates hard to pin down) New Home cabinet and a 1970s Singer Aurora 2000, the first electronic sewing machine ever.

My apologies I missedthat you were talking about hair styles OOPS

If you look above at post #3806 I listed a couple of books that you can find. Check the info out about them at Amazon.com to get more info. The people that put together those 2 books have similar books for the various decades. After that you can look at films made in that time period to get some insights as to fashion. Although, some will tell you to balance what you see in film with actual photos of the regular public from that time so you can base you look on reality versus a stylized Hollywood version of the times.

Romamor4

Familiar Face
I just wanted to drop by and say hello to everyone! I've been lurking for a while here and have just recently started posting. You've all inspired me to finally do what makes me feel my best, which is go all out vintage more often. I usually do it for major swing dance events, as I am an avid lindy hopper, but have always dreamed of being able to do it full time. I never knew I could until I happened upon this forum! So, thank you soooo much for what you are all doing here and I am so excited to be starting here too!

Cassi

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
I just wanted to drop by and say hello to everyone! I've been lurking for a while here and have just recently started posting. You've all inspired me to finally do what makes me feel my best, which is go all out vintage more often. I usually do it for major swing dance events, as I am an avid lindy hopper, but have always dreamed of being able to do it full time. I never knew I could until I happened upon this forum! So, thank you soooo much for what you are all doing here and I am so excited to be starting here too!

Cassi

Hi Romamor4/Cassi,

......and welcome! That's probably how most of us started, lurking around, or just stumbling across the lounge, purely by chance! If vintage makes you feel your best, then why not.....and more often too!

Cheers,

Danny O

englishrose

New in Town
Hello, I've been lurking for a while, too! I'm 19 and live in England. Interested in anything from the Georgians forward really but particularly the 1930s and 40s. Love the clothes, hair, make up and am very interested in how people lived and coped during the war. I think the home front is far more interesting than any of the other fronts, just a shame there is more written about the others! :p Don't really dress full-on vintage but love collecting antiques and curios and generally surround myself with lovely things!

Mom

New in Town
Hello!
I joined last year and have been lurking for even longer. I don't dress vintage, but love to collect vintage housewares and home decor. I also have a vintage shop on etsy with a little bit of everything. I first found out about this site when I was looking for info on some men's accessories.

I hope to be able to post some questions someday, when I get up the nerve!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy