Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

katiepickle

New in Town
Hi!

I have been watching the board for a long time (mostly for hair help, I have super fine un-dyed hair that holds a curl for about 30 seconds), but I just started posting.
I live in San Diego and am putting myself through school so my vintage collection is slim and mostly from San Francisco thrift stores. My favorite time period is late 40s early 50s, but I am a sucker for early 60s things too.
I started getting into vintage because I am in love with 50s cars and I thought that all the other girls at car shows were much more glamorous then me (they still are, but I feel better). I am very car oriented. Practicallly obsessed.
Ummm...I have two jobs, one for the county as a student worker and I am also an SAT tutor.

That about sums me up, I look forward to learning more from you ladies!
Katie

CharlieH.

One Too Many
katiepickle said:
Hi!

I have been watching the board for a long time (mostly for hair help, I have super fine un-dyed hair that holds a curl for about 30 seconds), but I just started posting.
I live in San Diego and am putting myself through school so my vintage collection is slim and mostly from San Francisco thrift stores. My favorite time period is late 40s early 50s, but I am a sucker for early 60s things too.
I started getting into vintage because I am in love with 50s cars and I thought that all the other girls at car shows were much more glamorous then me (they still are, but I feel better). I am very car oriented. Practicallly obsessed.
Ummm...I have two jobs, one for the county as a student worker and I am also an SAT tutor.

That about sums me up, I look forward to learning more from you ladies!
Katie

Pardon my intrusion but... have we met before at another forum? You sound awfully familiar.

crwritt

One Too Many
Hi there

I have been reading here for awhile, and finally noticed that I was allowed to post! Sorry I don't have a photo to share, maybe I will sometime.

I am a 40 something married lady with two grown up kids, soon to be a grammie. I live in Southern Maine and enjoy ballroom dancing. Vintage inspired dresses work so well with that!

I have sewn since I was a kid, and make lots of my ballroom outfits. I love shoes too, and of course you need comfy yet appropriately styled shoes, so I'm always looking.

If I recall, what brought be here is an interest in vintage hairstyles. I have lots of curly wavy hair, and I like to try out different roller sets. I am intrigued and somewhat mystified by some of the intricate pincurl sets I've read about.

I'm not totally into dressing vintage everyday, but I am a fan of fashion, and when I see vintage dressing that truly flatters, I'm all for it.

I design and create Mascot Costumes for a living. I would say its pretty fun work, always something a bit different every day.

Happy to be Here.

Colleen
Falmouth Maine

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Dancing

MissHuff said:
Once you get snow again, you want it to be gone! I for one could live without snow for the rest of my life lol.

How long have you been dancing?

You're probably right about the snow. In truth, i could drive north about 50 miles and have a ton of it if I really, really wanted it! lol

I've been doing burlesque since late 2002, my first real show was in 2003. I've worked with two troupes, one of which I helped start.
I've been jitterbugging and jiving (with mixed results) since 2002.
:)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Just bumping this one. I merged it with Lady Day's newbie thread. If there's any new gals, please introduce yourself! We'd love to hear more about you!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
well, I've come here a bit late too, I think! But anyway, I'm new so I'll say hello. In real life I'm a TV director in the UK.

I've been doing what they call 'living history' since I was 13, making my own 16th century clothes etc, so I've always loved dressing up. I got into more modern periods much more recently (though I used to victory roll my hair when I was 13).

I suppose I first got into the period because I play the trumpet and have always loved Big Band music... But I started doing WWII re-enactment (ATS) about 6 years ago, and have now become more interested in the 1930s.

I usually wear at least one vintage item a day but, like my friend Sis, I am a bit obsessive about correct detail when it comes to dressing up for events. I like to have a full character, role, name and background, too.

Which is why my 1930s name is Tottie. I won't confuse people with another one!

p.s. can't dance for toffee!

P

Paul

TOTTIE said:
I like to have a full character, role, name and background, too.

Do you base your character on some one real or is it like they say in TV "Not base on any on living or dead" or something like that.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Here goes nothing!

Hello lovely ladies!

New to this whole posting thing so forgive me if I do this wrong.
I'm living and breathing in Pennsylvania, so hello to all the PA gals. I spend my days as a High School Art teacher so, I don't wear many of my vintage things to work. Paint and clay just doesn't mix well with dry clean only.

Just wanted to introduce myself...I'm off to explore now!

~MaryDeluxe:D

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Hi

I'm also a newbie. I actually stumbled across this site while doing a search on whether or not it was kosher to wear stockings with peep-toe shoes. Once I started looking, I couldn't stop. This place is downright addictive!

I recently moved Omaha from SoCal to be with my BF of 2 years. We both have a deep love and appreciation for all things vintage. While our home is very vintage, I haven't completely caught up with the clothing end of things. I'm excited to learn more from all of you Ladies (and Gents) so that I may do the style justice!

-Jenna

Mojito

One Too Many
Hallo all the new folks! I'm a fairly new addition myself, and agree that it's a wonderful site.

Jenna, one of my dearest friends hails from Omaha - I spent Christmas and New Years Eve 1999/2000 there with her and her family!

r lush

New in Town
hello everyone

I found this the lounge looking for vintage hair "how toos." Just joined the group and have been looking through old threads for an hour or so... so much great info here! Hope I can add a few things and learn a ton as well.

I live in Seattle where I go to as many shows as I can and attempt to paint pinups. I've always had an affection for things of the past-- cars, clothing, art, music, and lifestyle (I'm an old fashioned gal)-- as well as a heathy appite for punk rock and tattoos. My life has been a balancing act of the two!

Thanks a bunch for all sharing so much! See you around-- r lush

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Paul said:
Do you base your character on some one real or is it like they say in TV "Not base on any one living or dead" or something like that.
er, well, last time we did a 30s event I played my Great Aunt Barbara, who was in her 20s in the 1930s. But it does tend to vary. The name Tottie is just a nickname.
I should add, I don't stay in role just for the hell of it... only when paying public are there!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
TOTTIE said:
er, well, last time we did a 30s event I played my Great Aunt Barbara, who was in her 20s in the 1930s. But it does tend to vary. The name Tottie is just a nickname.
I should add, I don't stay in role just for the hell of it... only when paying public are there!

I was Tottie's maid at this event and based myself on my Grandmother (who wasn't a maid!) using her name and basing my imaginary family on hers. It makes it easier to remember!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy