Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Mark Finn

New in Town
My turn at the podium

My name is Mark Finn, and I'm the creative director for the Violet Crown Radio Players, in Austin, Texas. We perform old time radio in period costumes, using period-specific props and sound effects, and with period music, as well. I write many of the scripts that we perform, or adapt them from 1930s sources. The troupe is very successful, now in its fifth year, and we are going gangbusters to get some professionally-produced and nationally distributed audio theater cds into bookstores this year.

I also write professionally. My most recent book, "Blood & Thunder: the Life and Art of Robert E. Howard," is a biography of the creator of Conan the Barbarian, who lived in the small town of Cross Plains, Texas, and did all of his writing in the 1920s and 1930s. It's the first book-length biography of REH in over 20 years. My next project is a period mystery, set on a low-budget movie set in Hollywood, circa 1936, and it features one of the smallest and least-known about groups of people to ever work in film.

My wife Cathy and I got married in a 1940's-Hollywood themed ceremony and reception. She wore a vintage dress, and while not really formal, I chose the white tux jacket with the black tux pants, a la Casablanca. Our order of service included a romance comic that I had written about our courtship, called "On Our Marry Way" (big points for anyone who gets that reference), and illustrated by my comic artist friends (many of whom were just glad that they didn't have to go shop for a toaster).

Obviously, we're huge fans of the 1930s and 1940s. Cathy loves the fashions, the music, and the style. I love the the history, the popular culture, and that sense of Romanticism that came with the period.

Currently, we are living in Vernon, Texas, and we've just bought a vintage (1953) movie theater. We are fixing to move into the upstairs loft (converted from the business offices), and soon we'll be showing movies and dishing out popcorn and Dots.

I'm really glad I found this place; the Internet SHOULD be about getting like-minded people together. I'll be jumping in on new posts as I make this one of my regular stops on my stroll through the Internet.

Here's looking at you, Folks,

Travis

Suspended
Where to begin, where to begin... Well, my name is Travis. I'm 24. I live in Portland, OR. I first got interested in the golden era in the late 90s in high school as a result of the neo-swing movement of the time. I wore a rented zoot suit to a dance once and took to wearing a fedora pretty regularly from than on. I did the whole punk rock thing for years and finally got sick of looking bad so I cleaned up and started wearing black t-shirts and slacks. About a year ago I started wearing ties regularly and now you rarely see me without a suit and hat. I love old music. I watch primarily old movies, my favorite being The Maltese Falcon. I dream of owning 40's styled bespoke suits one day. My current goals are getting a great wardrobe going, learning what the hell I'm doing (a lot of this stuff is still very new to me) and furnishing an apartment with an art deco decor. Yeah, I think that's about it. These forums seem incredible, I'm so glad I found them. Finally a place online where I think I'll feel at home.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Hello, ladies!

I am new as well. I have been reading for quite some time, and finally decided to go ahead and join in the fun!

I'm a 25 year old art student living on Long Island and studying in Brooklyn, which is a fair commute. One day soon I hope to have a little place all my own, to decorate as I see fit, and have already acquired great inspiration from the photos posted here.

I have been in love with the 50s since I was very young. My grandmother, a seamstress, used to make me dresses when I was little, and once even made me a poodle skirt and an adorable knit top to go with it! Since then, my love for past decades has grown to great admiration for everything (from decor, art, music, film and literature and of course, fashion) from the 20s to the late 50s.

My favorite decades to emulate in my wardrobe are the 40s and 50s. I don't own very much (yet) but am always on the lookout. I am a little on the tall side, so knee length skirts have to fall just so, and for that reason I am about to embark on adventures in sewing! I also love knitting, crochet and embroidery.

These forums are really great. I love how nice and informative everyone is. Thanks to all the advice and information I've read, I have learned how to successfully create a lovely coif, have found numerous styles, ideas and tips, and have been ultimately inspired to enjoy everything vintage with reckless abandon. And of course, the powder room is fantastic.

Thanks ladies!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Hi everyone, I've been here awhile but only introduced myself in the Powder Room. My name is Rachel, I'm 22 and I live in Galway in the west of Ireland. I study English and Classics in university and I'm an aspiring novelist. I love vintage clothes, old movies and movie stars and I'm an expert on Paris between 1900-1920, especially on the artists that lived in Montmartre/Montparnasse (Picasso, Modigliani etc). I was so happy to find the lounge as I don't know anyone else who's into past eras, although I have gotten several comments on my physical similarity to a certain Marilyn Monroe (I don't see it myself; that's NOT me in my avlol lol lol ). I'll post a photo as soon as I figure out how...

Well to summarise what's turned out to be my latest novel ( lol ) I'd just like to say that you all seem like really lovely people, and I look forward to getting to know you and hopefully not freaking you out with any mad Irish behaviour ;)

Rachel.

Mr. Turner

New in Town
"Welcome...to the freakshow!"

Heh, the title is not meant to be offensive...it's an opening line from a DC Talk song. Well, after that feasco, my name is Tim (I expect you to figure out my last name on your own.)

I'm currently 16, a Sophomore at Hutchinson High School in Hutchinson, MN. I have just recently(as in..the last year or two) gotten into the wholeness of the "Golden Era".

I'm currently an avid fedora wearer, and am working on getting the cash to buy myself some nice suits. (My parents think I'm insane for wanting to wear suits so often, so it's relatively difficult to get them to allow me to buy them.)

I love the music, culture, style, and just about everything from this Era.

I hope this turns out to be a great community to share my ideas with and grow to love.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Mr. Turner said:
Heh, the title is not meant to be offensive...it's an opening line from a DC Talk song. Well, after that feasco, my name is Tim (I expect you to figure out my last name on your own.)

I'm currently 16, a Sophomore at Hutchinson High School in Hutchinson, MN. I have just recently(as in..the last year or two) gotten into the wholeness of the "Golden Era".

I'm currently an avid fedora wearer, and am working on getting the cash to buy myself some nice suits. (My parents think I'm insane for wanting to wear suits so often, so it's relatively difficult to get them to allow me to buy them.)

I love the music, culture, style, and just about everything from this Era.

I hope this turns out to be a great community to share my ideas with and grow to love.

Welcome Mr Turner look forward to hearing more from you!

Marcus

A-List Customer
Greetings,
Hi, the name is Marcus. 28 yrs old, married, 3 kids. I came across this board today while looking around a "Homefront" section of WW2 Reenactors board. First off I'm a WW2 reenactor, but I've done several time periods since I was 14. I have several friends who are also reenactors, but they also have a great variety of civilian attire from the 30's and 40's. Well, it kind of clicked on how I can meld my reenacting hobby into regular life (I don't think walking around in a German uniform will go over very well). I've had coat and trousers for couple of years, but didn't really know what kind of shirt, tie or hat would go with it. I'm also looking to get my wife into this.

To tell the truth, I've got no real sense of style in the modern world. My uniform collection greatly outnumbers my everyday attire. So here I am looking for pointers on how to do this right. I also do TV/Film work from time to time and have had to pass on jobs because I didn't have civvie attire. Same thing for the Queen Mary and vintage train rides. Oh...I'm desperately looking to put together a WW2 Marine Corps service Alpha uniform since I was in the Corp for 8 years. Just FYI I'm about a 40 chest/33-34 waist/8.5 shoe.

Ms Ghoul

New in Town
Hi,

Just a new creature sailing in here. My name's Jennacy (or Jenn), and I live in a little garden spot of the Bay Area called downtown Pleasanton. Clothing-wise, I like everything from the Teens to the Fifties, but really prefer the '30s overall. Since my husband bought me a sewing machine and dress form for Christmas, I'm hoping I can wean myself off of eBay for clothes and more onto making them myself.
Interests-wise, I'm a California history geek -- mostly in the mining and railroad areas, but anything else that catches my fancy is good, too -- and railfan. When I'm out chasing big steam locomotives, I usually take a Mamiya C220, one of the Speed Graphics (2x3, 4x5), and/or the Zeiss Ikon Maximar from the '30s. I also have a weakness for vintage real photo postcards of Japanese traditional entertainers (geisha, kabuki/kyogen actors, courtesans, etc.) and stage/screen stars.

I look forward to chatting with all of you. :)

--Jenn

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Hi, I'm new and want to introduce myself. I stumbled across the FL when trying to research the L'Oreal retro glamour red lipsticks earlier this year. There was a thread about them here, of course! I love almost everything about the late 1930s-1940s, especially the clothes, style, films (noir, bette davis, abbott & costello, etc etc), radio, music, cars, books, transportation, architecture - even tubes of toothpaste were beautiful. I also love tropical deco - rattan furniture and vintage Hawaiian music. I've worn some form of vintage since I was a kid, and have generally found if you go out in vintage alone, you're a freak. If you're in a group, everyone wants to take your photo. Unfortunately I don't know any other girls in the Sacramento CA area who like the 40s. I've been a member of the art deco society in San Francisco for about 12 years, so going to their events when I can is like a tonic. Thanks for the welcome Lauren and everyone!

GOK

One Too Many
Welcome, welcome, welcome to Ruby, Ms Ghoul and Decobelle (what a super name that is!). :D

Aren't we so lucky to have such an interesting gang here? It's wonderful that every day (it seems), more and more people are joing our happy band. Long may it continue!

Enjoy your stay here, ladies!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Here goes..........

Found "The Lounge" about 6mths ago. I've been lurking since but finally got the nerve to come and add my 2cents now and then.

My name is Denise, but I will answer to Denny, Dee or Greenie. I'm what would be described as a "Big Shouldered Broad". I can hold my own with most people and in most situations. ;) I'm 49 and I see it as dragging 40, not pushing 50. Single at present, but very attached to a wonderful man. I frequent more, shall we say, rough and tumble kind of sites. I'm a new motorcycle enthusiast so that should clue you in (tattooless and I can wear something other than black leather and jeans). I come from a military proud family. USMC is in my blood. Dear Uncle that was in Korea along with my dad. My mom has been my inspiration in most things in my life. She won a dance contest with a man that had a wooden leg. She's the one that taught me to Jitter Bug, but please, don't ask me to try it now. I've always enjoyed the old movies. I've always felt the progress doesn't mean moving forward. I haven't started to wear the era yet. But I'm headed in that direction, slowly but surely. It's so nice to see you "Loungers". I'm blown away by the ladies here and you gents, you'd get a wink and a smile from me anytime. The 40's were just classy. People had style, grace and manners. I still use Sir and Ma'am and it surprises most people. I've been enjoying my time here and I do plan to stay for a long time. Unless someone starts stacking firewood.

crwritt

One Too Many
Hi. I'm fairly new and enjoying reading the posts on different topics, hairstyles, clothes, etc. I love dancing, and like sewing as well, which means there is always the opportunity to come up with some new outfit. The vintage style dresses are often very flattering compared to some of the skimpy modern styles.
I certainly enjoy reding the posts here, and now I will try to find something to say myself!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm new! Just logged in today. I'm 31 and I've been into the "old days" my whole life, but it only recently started to swell in 1998. I'm particularly fond of the 1920s and 1930s. I adore movies!! Pre-Code movies are my absolute favourite. I "follow" my favourite stars as if they were the latest thing. I enjoy taping movies off TCM and collecting old PHOTOPLAY magazines. I'm proud of my collection that spans 1912 to 1961. Reading is also something I do every day. Film books, books about film stars, and even old photoplay books from the 20s and 30s (I love vintage books!) And last but not least, I love old scratchy music from the 1890s to the 1940s. Lee Wiley is probably my favourite singer.

Hi!!!

Kim_B

Practically Family
A warm, happy welcome to all the new gals! Curl up with a nice cuppa (whatever you prefer...tea, cocoa, coffee) and enjoy!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Hi, I'm new. I just joined up yesterday. I've already introduced myself in the "Ladies Only" Powder Room and I've contributed to a few threads, but haven't formally introduced myself on a thread intended for everyone!

I'm Amy, I'm 31, I'm from NJ just outside of Philly, and I've liked old things my whole life! I used to look for the cornerstones on buildings when I was a small child and I'd LOVE to stay up late to watch the Late, Late Show (back then, it was usually an old movie!) My passion for old things never fully erupted, though, until 1998. That was the year I discovered rockabilly music and from there it just kept going backwards. I soon discovered silent movies and the 1920s and I've been hooked ever since! Of course, my obsession with the 1920s led to an obsession with the 1930s, which I admit I have more of a weakness for. I LOVE pre-Code movies, especially obscure programmers and Busby Berkeley extravaganzas. Everything about the Production Code fascinates me and I love watching movies made in the years right after the Code because they are so different! 1930s cinema is probably my #1 passion in life.

I also love to read and I always have a book in my face. Film books, books about exciting historical women, and books about the 1920s/1930s eras are my favourites. I also have an impressive PHOTOPLAY magazine collection spanning 1912 to 1961. I consider that one of my prized possessions.

My favourite singers include: Lee Wiley, Jane Green, Dick Powell, Waring's Pennsylvanians, Frances Langford, Lee Morse, Ruth Etting, The Original Indiana Five, The Peerless Quartet; basically I just love scratchy old 78s from the 1890s through to the early 1940s. I'm currently trying to collect as many of those "Living Era" CDs as I can afford! I also love synthpop, rockabilly, old-school punk, new wave, and EVERYTHING from the 1980s (yes, even the "bad" stuff!)

I dress in vintage style everyday. My glasses are real cats eyes from an antique shop. I wear my hair in a bob and bangs a la Louise Brooks. My makeup is done as "vintage" as I can get it -- I do draw on pencil-thin eyebrows (my natural brows are blonde and barely there!) and I do do the cupid's bow lips. I try to wear skirts as much as I can. I have a few real vintage dresses from the 20s and 50s, but I only wear them on special ocassions. For everyday wear, I put together pieces I find at Goodwill or cheap department stores. It can certainly be done if one has the right "eye." I've been told that I dress "old" (I took it as a compliment!) My younger brother asked me what grave I robbed to get my outfit -- again, I must be doing something right!

Well, that's enough about me. I look forward to meeting and chatting with all of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy