Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Kim_B

Practically Family
beaucaillou said:
Hello ladies,

I've been here a couple months and wanted to make an official "Howdy."

I was sent here to FL via a vintage lifestyle community I'm part of, and I was quite happy to find it! What a great resource and such wonderful people too.

I recently moved to Portland, OR from my hometown of Chicago, and I have to say, the stories about Portland are much more dramatic than the reality. It's *really lovely* here and the Winter isn't bad in the slightest.

I'm hoping to meet some FL'ers who are out this way too. The idea has been kicked around, so hopefully, at some point. I will be back in Chicago for a week in March, but sadly it won't fall during the FL get together.

I have a penchant for 30's-50's clothing and decor. I am a sucker for streamline and deco. While roughly half of my wardrobe is vintage, I often prefer to mix old and new as I like the way they can make each other more vivid, and sharper, by juxtaposing one another. I'm also passionate about classic hair and makeup too.

For work, I do wine and welcome all and any questions regarding any aspect of it, so should you find yourselves confused in the wine aisle or when pairing your meals, I'd be more than happy to help out.

During the rest of my time I write, explore the town, walk aimlessly, and watch movies.

I'm glad to be here and to meet you all in this forum.

Cheers,
Jill

Welcome, Jill! Mmm...wine...actually, I don't really know much about wines, so I might have to have a chat with you sometime!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Kim_B said:
Welcome, Jill! Mmm...wine...actually, I don't really know much about wines, so I might have to have a chat with you sometime!

Please do! There are few thing I love more than to get people matched up with wine they *love*.

Cheers!

Amy_Atomic

New in Town
An introduction and a thankyou...

Hello everyone!

Just want to introduce myself, and say thankyou to all you ladies for all the great tips and information you have shared in the powder room so far!

You are all fabulous :)

I'm 22 years old, and I live in Kent in the UK. I adore the 1940s - 50s, and am an avid collector of a wide array of vintage treasures. I've been spending a lot of time lurking on the fedora lounge recently as I'm not too well :( But at least I'm saving a bit of money being stuck inside all the time - i'm looking forward to hopefully getting out soon and treating myself to something nice.

Just thought a proper introduction was in order, before I go on posting sprees :)

*Amy*

Madame Truffaut

New in Town
Ciao Tutti

My name is Madame Truffaut, after one of my favorite French New Wave directors. I'm orginally from Chicago but have been living off and on in Italy since 1995. I've been collecting all things vintage since I was 16. I found this site while looking for vintage dresses. It's nice to know there are others who love the glam and style of the past. My interest run from Art Deco to Dior's New Look to Mod Swinging 60's London. I'm glad to be a part of this wonderful site.:)

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Apologies

Apologies ladies for getting carried away posting this week - I have been on holiday and got carried away with all of the fab topics here. Welcome to the new ladies too x :eek:

Knitstuff

New in Town
Hello

(Not sure if this is the right forum for this post, so mods feel free to move it)

I'm Jen, living just outside of Ann Arbor, MI. So glad to have found this group, now I don't feel like such a weirdo lol .

My interests are varied , from OTR, to knitting, cooking, sewing, reading, the list goes on.

Married with 2 cats, Lilly and Archie (yes, named after Nero Wolfe charaters), and looking forward to meeting new friends!

Jen

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Hello Jen and welcome!
We have a thread for new members to introduce themselves, so I have moved this over there. -It's also a nice way for you to go through and so who some of our other members are.
So, welcome, enjoy your stay, and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything. ;)
-HJ

G

GoldLeaf

I am another of the new gals. Like alot of the ladies, I have lurked for months, and figured it was about time I registered.

I currently live in Durham, NC by way of Upstate New York (I see some ladies from Syracuse, I am from Watertown). I just had to escape the cold and snow, I couldn't take it anymore! I am 29 with a wonderful husband and a cute dog. I work as a community planner which is a wonderful field.

I don't know when I got interested in vintage. Unknowingly, I think I have always had a liking for modern clothes that had a vintage style to them. About a year ago I realized that I was really interested in genuine style from the Golden Era.

I have gotten so disgusted with modern fashion. Everything hangs out and women are entirely over exposed. Or we have tried to hard so close the gender gap that there is little difference between women and men anymore. Not to mention lack of manners! People's behavior is just attrocious these days.

I love the sweet details found on vintage clothes. You only find attention to detail in the high end clothes these days that I just can't afford. And the styles are just divine. Its possible to be feminine and sexy and still remain modest!

I don't own any vintage yet, I have a heck of a time finding any that fit. I am six feet tall, so my measurements are proportionatly larger. I am a modern size ten (vintage 20 I think) but everything needs to be proportionatly longer so the waist of a dress isn't around the middle of my ribcage [huh]

And of course my feet are large - size 11 - so shoes are nearly impossible. But I do put forth a concerted effort to purchase clothing that is vintage feeling. I scour Target frequently, and have put together a few outfits that I think are pretty good!

My dear, dear mother bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and during her visit helped me sew my first basic dress that is vintage-y. I can't wait to create more things. I think as time goes on, my wardrobe will become even more vintage inspired. I currently wear classic professional clothing which is not far removed.

So, I am very excited. You guys are all wonderful, and I have learned so much from you all. You ladies have inspired me to belive in vintage as not only a fashion sense, but a mindset. I am thrilled to be a part of the community. And in case you can't tell, I am chatty lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Goldleaf!

Pull up a chair at the vanity table, there is always room for one more.

And don't worry, there are a lot of us that for whatever reasons, don't own much vintage and instead just wear classics and repro or vintage-esque.

Its about how you feel wearing it, not what the 'it' you are wearing is.

Welcome!

Denise

pretty faythe

One Too Many

Hello, My name is Faith, 32 from Las Vegas, NV.
I've always loved the old movies and the classiness of it all. I've decided that since I work in a male dominated field and have found myself seeming to blend more with them then with my feminine side, that I am going to embrass it and do it right! What better then when woman were woman, even when breaking into the male world!
I've been going to work with the Rosie the Riviter look, but have been having troubles trying to find something from the forties era to go with my hair. Its growing out from a bad cut and has lots of different layers in the front.
And now I am trying to find some simple sewing patterns that are in the forties style for a more curvy woman. (Size 20 modern, and even with todays clothes, my bust are in the way, 49 measurement, 44DDD or E)
Ok, I am catching myself babbling, so I'll stop now...lol.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
pretty faythe said:

Hello, My name is Faith, 32 from Las Vegas, NV.
I've always loved the old movies and the classiness of it all. I've decided that since I work in a male dominated field and have found myself seeming to blend more with them then with my feminine side, that I am going to embrass it and do it right! What better then when woman were woman, even when breaking into the male world!
I've been going to work with the Rosie the Riviter look, but have been having troubles trying to find something from the forties era to go with my hair. Its growing out from a bad cut and has lots of different layers in the front.
And now I am trying to find some simple sewing patterns that are in the forties style for a more curvy woman. (Size 20 modern, and even with todays clothes, my bust are in the way, 49 measurement, 44DDD or E)
Ok, I am catching myself babbling, so I'll stop now...lol.

Welcome Faith!

here are a few threads that might get you started...

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14550&highlight=plus+size

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13187&highlight=plus+size

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Hello everybody!

As I am very new here, I think I should introduce myself.

I am 26 years old and live in Bergen, Norway, where I am studying interior architecture at master level.

I am not living a vintage life 24/7, but I find myself wearing more and more vintage all the time. It`s not only the clothes I like, the architecture, art, graphics, furniture design e.t.c. of the 20s-50s really appeals to me.

I love the look and the quality of vintage design, but it is also what daily life objects can tell about the time they where made in, that appeals to me. It`s a great way to learn history!

I like to wear vintage for a night out on the town, but when I really get into it is at historical LARPs. (I have to point out, to my knowlegde LARP is very different in Scandinavia than what it often is in USA/UK.) It`s like a time travel!

Well, that was enough about me. I look forward to spend some time here in the lounge!

P.S. Please bear with me and my strange English. My Norwegian is perfect, though.;)

Knitstuff

New in Town
Hi all!

I'm Jen, living near Ann Arbor, MI. I just joined a few days ago, and found this thread and thought to introduce myself.

Happily married, 2 cats named Lilly and Archie.

Not really living a vintage life as yet, but I do tend to have an obsession with vintage cookbooks, which makes sense as I am a cook by trade. Other interests include knitting, sewing (as soon as I find the power cord to my machine, right now it's a "lost in move"), movies of the 30-40's, reading and general troublemaking.:p

Jen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart