Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Shearer

Practically Family
Hello, Siobhan!

Ciamar a tha sibh? (Pretty much the limit of my Scottish, right there) ;)

I wanted to say that you may be a little secluded where you are, but you couldn't ask for a more beautiful place.

Hope you like FL as much as I do.

MissyVamp

New in Town
:eek:fftopic: aah , the gaelic!! lol - I can say it, but I can't spell it! - so in reply, phonetically I can say, Ha gu madh, tapeh leidh - well ok half phonetic/half gaelic - though I think i just insert an "h" or a "b" whenever in doubt!!! - I'm actually from England, but have lived here for 5 years - my 10 year old daughter could probably carry on a typed conversation in Gaelic - I should be ashamed of myself, really - but its very difficult to get the natives to have a conversation with an "incomer" in gaelic - they immediately switch to English and...you are seen as an incomer forever! - I have a friend who's parents came to live here in the early 60s and she's still know as that "english girl who stays in Garrabost"lol

Shearer

Practically Family
MissyVamp said:
:eek:fftopic: aah , the gaelic!! lol - I can say it, but I can't spell it! - so in reply, phonetically I can say, Ha gu madh, tapeh leidh - well ok half phonetic/half gaelic - though I think i just insert an "h" or a "b" whenever in doubt!!! - I'm actually from England, but have lived here for 5 years - my 10 year old daughter could probably carry on a typed conversation in Gaelic - I should be ashamed of myself, really - but its very difficult to get the natives to have a conversation with an "incomer" in gaelic - they immediately switch to English and...you are seen as an incomer forever! - I have a friend who's parents came to live here in the early 60s and she's still know as that "english girl who stays in Garrabost"lol

Ahhh, that's so funny about your friend! Gotta love small towns, huh?

MissyVamp

New in Town
Shearer said:
Gotta love small towns, huh?
Well until VERY recently I would have said...."er....no.
I bloody hate this place and the sooner I can get away, the better!!
Yes, its pretty, but its so bigoted and the people LOVE you if you're just here for a week or two on holiday - but if you live here....? well - its not exactly a loving feeling" lol. - I've sort of changed my mind - I came up here looking for that "community spirit" - I didn't find it - I found cliques and clans. I tried for so long to fit in and then, just at the point of saying F**K 'em:eek:things changed . I started dressing in a retro way, cos I sort of thought, well i may as well dress as I please - i'm seen as a weirdo anyway and it seems to be expected that the "mad english" have these eccentric ways- but the weirdest thing is that I now have older people approaching me and commenting on my hair " ooh my mother used to do her hair like that" or my clothes - "its nice to see a young woman making an effort, my dear" even my handbag! "where did you get THAT - I haven't seen one of those since the old days"

So although I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm loving this small town stuff - it is becoming slightly easier - thanks to the 40s!!!lol - who'd have thought it??

Siobhan

Shearer

Practically Family
Egads, I didn't think of it that way!
It's very true though what you said. I guess when I think of small town I'm still thinking "small town, USA" and it does come with that old time movie cliche of community spirit like you were talking about.
But then you've got the little towns in the Hebrides that are also isolated in a way and the community spirit is reserved for the community only and not for you "mad english" :)
I had a best friend in high school whose mother was Scottish (hence my wee Gaelic vocabulary) and she was always looking at me a little warily. I went to some Scottish games with them one year and my friend suggested that the next year I dress in a tartan skirt, using the MacRae tartan because it was closest to my Irish family name of McGraw Heee! Her mother didn't think that was a good idea at ALL. Needless to say, I didn't wear any tartan the next year lol

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Welcome Siobhan!

Oh I know how people in small towns can be... I lived the first 21 years of my live there and even for someone that lived there from the start it wasn´t easy cause I was allways sort of "different".

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi,Im New here.

Hi, I just thought I should introduce myself as I've been reading through the posts here for a week or so now.

My name is Kerry, I will be forty this year and I live in Enfield in the UK. I have always enjoyed dressing up and now need a mature alternative look, the grungy rockchick look has started to look wrong now and I have stopped worrying about being a size 12(uk) and accepted my curves:). A really bad haircut led me to this site as I thought a forties look would salvage the haircut. I only have a few items of vintage clothing, one is the thirties dress In my avitar that my mum bought me when I was seventeen.
I enjoy dressmaking and also am a member of The English Civil War Society so I will be spending a lot of the summer dressed up as a Musketeer:).
I glad I found this great resource and hope to get to know you all.
Kerry

Nina

New in Town
i'm sort of new too, except i've been reading threads for a little while but haven't had anything to contribute.

my name is Nina (obviously) and i frequent the same forums as missy siobhan. i'm 19, live in the most isolated city in the world (perth, oz) and don't yet go completely vintage. but i'm learning. i wish it was cooler in perth so i could wear some of the stockings in my gigantic collection more often

so yes, hi

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to The Lounge Siobhan!:)

I hope you find this place fun and informative, and I look forward to learning more about you.
I can relate in a way to living in a small, clicky town. I grew up in the state of Rhode Island here in the USA. It's known as "the biggest little state in the union", it's the smallest state in the country.

Well, I'm glad to see more and more ladies joining us here. Again, have fun. Feel free to ask questions and also to share your knowledge with us.

I just noticed that a few other ladies are making their introductions here. I thought I would let you and all of the other new ladies know that we do have 2 threads, one in the powder room and one in the observation bar, where you can introduce and tell us about yourselves. The powder room is technically for the ladies,, so try and take a few minutes to introduce yourself in the OB, that way the guys will know you're here too:)
Click here for OB thread Click here for Powder Room thread
These threads are also good because you will get to learn about lots of other members here.

Again, welcome to The Lounge:) It's a fun place where you'll meet a lot of great people and learn a lot of cool stuff. It's also nice to know that there are other people in the world who share a passion for vintage:)

G

GoldLeaf

Welcome ladies! Its great to have you!

I too understand about small towns. The day after my parents bought our house, the mayor came to us and told us to get out of town, that our kind weren't wanted there. Our only crime was that my dad was Army. [huh] If only they had told us that the day before we bought out house. They weren't kidding when they said they didn't like our kind :eek: Meanies. Ah well, that was many, many years ago. But I can relate to how close minded some places can be, its pretty sad.

On a different topic: We also have a thread for introductions. If at all possible, we try to keep things that are related in one thread to keep things neat and tidy :) We have lots of information on lots of topics, feel free to do a search to see if you can find what you are looking for. If not, if you can find a related thread and post there, it makes it easier to have all information related to, say, undergarments, in one thread instead of 20 :)

Daisy and I were thinking along the same line at the same time. Sorry for the repetition :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mornin', all --

I've taken the liberty of merging all our recent intro threads into the main Hello To The New Ladies thread -- just a bit of housekeeping that should make it easier for everyone to get to know each other!

And welcome to all our new members!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
kerry said:
Hi, I just thought I should introduce myself as I've been reading through the posts here for a week or so now.

My name is Kerry, I will be forty this year and I live in Enfield in the UK. I have always enjoyed dressing up and now need a mature alternative look, the grungy rockchick look has started to look wrong now and I have stopped worrying about being a size 12(uk) and accepted my curves:). A really bad haircut led me to this site as I thought a forties look would salvage the haircut. I only have a few items of vintage clothing, one is the thirties dress In my avitar that my mum bought me when I was seventeen.
I enjoy dressmaking and also am a member of The English Civil War Society so I will be spending a lot of the summer dressed up as a Musketeer:).
I glad I found this great resource and hope to get to know you all.
Kerry

I hope you don't mind me saying but you older (than me! Definitely not old in the age sense!) ladies have given me such hope for a stylish future! I look at (for instance) my dowdy aunt who is 43, and wonder why she'd want to look like she does, in baggy leggings and sweatshirts from the 80s with wolf prints on, and hope my dress sense doesn't fly out the window. Now I know it won't! I would never ever have placed you at nearing 40, more like 25! Lizzie Maine and GOK also fall into this hope for my future category!

roots66

One of the Regulars
Y'know, I've been on here for several months and I neglected to introduce myself before diving right in and posting away, so forgive me. Anyway, I'm Deena, and as I recall I think I stumbled upon the Lounge as I was Googling for info on the L'oreal Scarlett line...either that or I happened to find the page for the "Classic Style" magazine and followed the links here. Although my primary fave style/cultural eras are the '60s and '50s, I do adore all previous eras as well...and I've been totally awed, riveted, and impressed with the expertise and dedication of you lovely ladies.

Unlike most of you, I don't dress full-on vintage--but that's not by choice. Unfortunately, I'm short and dumpy (size 14 at best), so finding items that fit and flatter is challenging even under the best of circumstances. I also wasn't born with the sewing-skills gene, to my endless frustration. I do have a few '60s repro outfits that I wear to '60s dances and garage rock shows, and I try to affect a '50s beatnik/'60s mod-ish look with contemporary clothes and vintage accessories. I keep my hair in a classic bob-with-bangs, and space my haircuts months apart so that a starter Louise Brooks length will eventually grow into a "Second Barbra Streisand Album"-esque look (sorry, couldn't think of a better example than that). I channel the dough and energy I'd ideally be spending on acquiring vintage clothes into collecting vintage fashion magazines and books on fashion history (both vintage and recently published).

I'm a native New Yorker--born, bred, and lived there in relative satisfaction until I turned 30. I now live in Toronto, but only because I married a blind Canadian with a good job. We figured it'd be easier for me to find a job here than for him to attempt to find one stateside, but so far that hasn't been the case--I'm an unemployed librarian (and boy did the recent "vintage vs. modern lady" tread throw me for a loop!). I like it here, but by hook or by crook I intend to move back to my beloved NYC when "the husband" retires.

Anyway, just wanted to let you gals know how much I love the Powder Room. I often check it before checking my own e-mail, that's how addicted I am. Here's my myspace and blog. Thanks!

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
Hi all,

Like a few of you I have been a member for a little while and have made a few post’s without formally introducing myself. First name Darren, I am 37 years of age and live in Melbourne Australia. I have interests in a lot of things, Cricket (some of my post’s indicate this), Australian Rules Football (as per my Avatar), Aikido, Hats and most of my time is spent working and looking after my 2yo daughter with my wife. I really enjoy this forum and everyone I have met on it seems to be lovely. It is also interesting to see so many people being represented from all parts of the world. I suppose it just goes to show that style is universal. Anyway, time to move on, only to happy to chat to people and even give some insights on the wonders of Sport in Melbourne for those who are interested.

Cheers,
:cheers1:

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone, same as Roaring days above. I haven‚Äôt formally introduced myself. My name is Scott Stinchcomb, I live in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area. I‚Äôm 40 years old, I‚Äôm married and have to little girls who are 4 and 2 ¬?. My interest are Jeeps (the classic mostly), Guns (mostly older western style), and movies. I enjoy salt-water fishing and home improvements. I‚Äôm actually kind of shy, but as I get comfortable I become quite the class clown. I'm not much of a suit wearer, but do like nice hats. That‚Äôs how I found this place. I have to say I have gotten some very good advice and education the short time I have been here.

Becky

New in Town
Hello all ! I'm Becky FitzPatrick. I was born in Niagara Falls, NY, grew up there till after college and then moved down south. Most of my famiy still resides in NY, so I try to get up there when I can. My husband's name is Chris and our son is Ian. He's 11.
My hobbies include painting/drawing; sewing costumes/period clothing; camping & caving; we also have quite a few critters as pets.
I love dressing up and don't need a special occassion either. I especially like hats on people, it seems to finish the look. I was practically raised on old films; they were always on TV in our house. My parents were older and grew up during the 1930s and 1940s, so I have a solid connection to that period. They would tell me how things were back then.
I hope to find good people here and I have so far. I'll have my webpage done soon (hopefully !) and you can view more about me there.

"More affectionate than a kiss is a well done hug in someone that you love. Have you ever notice how I can give delicious hugs?" ~ Carmen Miranda

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav