Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Bertie Wooster said:
I say thanks awfully Smithy. Piece of Cake - great book by the way, one of my favourite films is Battle of Britain which I believe Derek Robinson wrote some of the script for, or it was in any rate based on one of his books. I also enjoy modelling WWII aircraft, coincidentally. It gives me a break from the Drones ;)

Not to split hairs here, Bertie. But I think you got the Derek's mixed up.
Derek Dempster: A Narrow Margin was used for the script on Battle of Britain -while Piece of Cacke was made into a great TV series by BBC.(I think it was)

Cheers:cheers1:

Bertie Wooster

New in Town
I stand corrected old chap - thanks. I vaguely remember A Piece of Cake being on TV - will look up the of the DVD series next time I get a DD Home Entertainment catalogue in the post.

I do have a "making of" book about the Battle of Britain film. My faviourte character in it is the one played by Michael Caine, but I read in the making of book that Hugh Dowding, or Lord Dowding has he became, visited the set and there is a very moving description of his reaction to seeing himself being played and the whole set-up of the Operations Room being recreated.

pils

New in Town
Just to say hi ...

Hello everyone

I just came across this site a few days ago (while searching the web for that first fedora) and have been spending quite some time browsing through all the excellent threads in the different forums. This looks like a great site with some very knowledgeable people.

Oh, and I am a Dane. So apologies in advance for any misspellings or other mutilations of your language :whistling

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Bertie, those 1/24 Airfix kits can build into very nice models. The best I have seen in the series is the Hurricane, simply gorgeous. The Spit has a couple of nasty fit issues but with some filler and sanding no problem.

I'm a member of the IPMS Norge forum but not a paying member as such for the society, just moved back to Norway (I'm a Kiwi) but might have to get around to that sometime.

And Pils, velkommen! Nice to see some more Scandinavians joining up. There's a few Danes here so you're in good company!

fatwoul

Practically Family
Well, I've been here a few weeks now, but this is the first time I've strayed from the hats section to explore the rest of the site. So, having found this thread, I thought I should say hello to those of you who frequent other parts of FL.

Hello. Nice to meet you all. :D

zaika

One Too Many
This is my first time in the Bar. It's so fun!
I've been on here for about a week, sticking to the Powder Room and Beauty threads for the most part (hey, I'm shy!).
I'm in Portland. Since the age of 13, I've loved all things from the past. Mostly the 20's, 30's and 40's. I even wrote a novel set against WWII as the backdrop. LOL. For reasons too personal to explain here, I took a break from all of my childhood interests for about ten years, and now I'm back...more passionate than ever and with a different appreciation for this era. I'm currently working on adapting my little story from 16 years ago into a grown up graphic novel...so hopefully I'll be able to pick your brains about particulars.
I hope to find some of you fellow Portlanders here, maybe meet up or tag along with whatever vintage-y group there is in town.
Bye for now!

BillieMae

New in Town
Hi Everyone!

I accidentally stumbled upon the lounge a few days ago when I was looking for instructions on how to fingerwave my hair (I just cut most of it off to match a picture of Bebe Daniels I found on the internet). Lucky me! I had no idea that there was a community of vintage enthusiasts out there, especially one with so many helpful tips. I'm 19 and a Music Theatre student at The Hartt School in CT. Doing theatre is what go me into actually trying out vintage styles...I had admired vintage clothing for a long time (especially the 30s and 40s) and I have always been a fan of Gershwin and Cole Porter, but I never had the guts to experiment with changing my look.

As I college student, I can't really afford to buy great vintage-wear, but I re-purpose dresses I find at Salvation army and Goodwill to fit the era I want to emulate. I also like to mix modern stuff with my vintage clothes...some of you might cringe, but I love to wear Uggs with a nice vintage dress!

I just joined so I could participate in all the great conversations and ask questions so that some of the more "experienced" ladies could help me achieve the vintage looks I admire (P.S.--You girls look great! I can't wait to hear what you have to say!). I also would love to learn more about the 30s and 40s in general.

So...that's about it...I hope I didn't ramble on forever!

nyx

One of the Regulars
OH, I wish I could go to a UK event! I spent 6 weeks in the UK in the summer of 2003 and had the best time of my life. *sigh* Perhaps one of you ladies will let me pack myself into a trunk and ship myself over to visit you one day :)

Mimi

New in Town
I've been in and out for a couple of years, probably, and just wanted to check back here and say "hello" before posting anywhere else.

Hi!

Mimi

New in Town
Just peeking in to say "hello" after a while...

My favorite eras are all between 20s and 50s, some early 60s for fashion.

I am currently a housewife, and have been doing a fair bit of knitting and sewing lately. Being home has given me a great chance to research the past and work on writing about it, as well as learn more great hairstyles and fashion tips!

Nice to see you all, I hope to be around more!

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Hi Everyone

Great group here. One of the few places I've seen that reaches out to new members.

I'm Jim and I live in Seattle. I found FL while looking up resources for hats and razors. I purchased a Panama hat in Hawaii a couple of years back, and wanted to be able to wear it more often than the Islands. I picked up my nickname from the hat. One thing leads to another and now I'm looking for a fedora, and coordinating the look with classic clothing.

I was always intrigued by the films of the 40's and 50's, and the style from the era. I think casual Friday has done alot to kill the concept of dressing up for both genders.

Looking forward to meeting others here :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well again I'm amazed at the amount of new ladies and gents we have joining us here on a daily basis!
Welcome one and all to my favorite virtual vintage haven:)
It's so very nice to meet you all, thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves.
I hope you find this place as interesting, fun and fact filled as I do.
I look forward to hearing more about you and learning more from you.
All my best,
Daisy

nyx

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
if you are the tiny baby in the avatar you can come and live with me! adorable!

Why, thank you! He's mine, but I rent him out on weekends for parties and batmitzvahs :p Alas, he is not so tiny anymore... he'll be a year old next month *sigh*.

Josephine

One Too Many
Hallo

I found TFL through The Long Hair Community and Vintage_Hair over on Live Jouranal, and have been lurking for awhile, though I finally decided to join a few days ago. I've been attempting to do Victory Rolls on my hair, but at waist length it's a bit awkward trying to bundle it all up into a roll. At least with that much hair I don't have to back comb [bad] to get any volume! :)

I have a dress of my great grandmothers (born 1899) that I want to put up in the Look What I Made thread; while I didn't make it it's obviously hand made with smocking and sequins. It fits pretty well, except the hips, but as I'm back on the Weight Watcher's wagon, it WILL fit later! :) I also have some furs of hers, but I'm not sure of the Board's view on fur. My mom has another dress of my g-grandmother's, along with some hats that I'd like to get. I love hats! I'm also getting a bonnet hair dryer from both my grandmother and my MIL who had their's in a back closet. I used to have curly hair but henna and length have pulled the curl out, and I miss my curls! So I like to put it up in rollers, but it takes forever to dry...

I live in the Northern Virginia area, and go to the DC Big Flea every so often. I'm going to start looking for vintage clothes the next time we go, though with a teeny tiny budget, I might not be making many purchases. I sew rather well, so I think if I want any vintage looking outfits, at least, I can sew them. I hope to get some things at the next VBO, it happens around my birthday (if it's at the same time each year) so I'll have birthday money! I like big poofy skirts, I'm an hourglass shape so the slim pencil look, unfortunately, doesn't work too well on me. :/

Some other stuff-- I'm a geek, into scifi, like Star Trek and Stargate and Doctor Who. If you know about Myers-Briggs, I'm an INTJ, a bit of a homebody. I also go to the local Renaissance festival, where I go in garb too.

Ok, I've rambled enough for now, I think... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart