Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

helvissa

Familiar face
Oh pants! I just posted a "hello, I'm new" post in someplace called The Observation Bar. Is that just for the fellas? I'm getting confused... anyway, here I am. Hello!

dani

Familiar Face
hi my name is dani, i am 20 y/o, i am a stay at home mom/wife. i am new to this, and i guess i don't really have a fav. era yet. i love the hairstyles, from the 40's, and 50's. i would really love to try some of these hairstyles, but never have, and didn't know how. i thought this was the perfect sight to find out more about my interest.

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
Greetings everyone! I joined yesterday and promptly lost my password. I just reset it, so I shall be posting more often. I'm new to dressing in anything more than cheap Wal*Mart clothes, as I recently got over several self-image issues. I don't have any fedoras or other period gear currently, but I do have an item somewhat related to these: a leather jacket by La Nouvelle Renaissance (womenswear company, but it's definitely a men's cut and size) that I believe came from the '60s. Anyway, I am very interested in getting some period wear, as I love the look of the '20s-'30s. First on the agenda is a hat of some sort - I can't seem to find one within my price range, however. At least one that's worth buying :).

Thanks for the thread - I am usually hesitant about introducing myself, but other people doing it certainly helps! I appreciate the warm welcome!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Hello All!
My name is Michele...
Just wanted to say hello and comment that this is the most mature, well-behaved forum I've ever had the pleasure of frequenting... what a relief.
I'm sure I'll spend entirely too much time in here. ;)

Candied violets

New in Town
I think I got here originally through some search, possibly the one about hosiery with peep toe pumps... I can't quite recall. I have been poking around these boards for a while, feeling sorely out of my depth, but I am eager to learn and am excited to meet all of you.

My name is Anne Marie. I'm thirty years old and I lived in Japan from 2000-2005. I became fascinated in their eclectic fashion scene. Upon my return to the States I immersed myself once more in books and history and their respective fashions. I'm a member of the Jane Austen Society of North America and the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club. (Golden era train travel, was there anything more divine?) Putting aside Regency (fascinating era but I have an aversion for empire waists), Victorian and Edwardian times I like the 1930's-1950's. I love the movies, music and novels (Lida Larrimore anyone?) of the time but I am particularly fond of fashions that flatter curves. It sounds self-serving I admit but there were so many adorable designs in Japan that I couldn't squeeze my un-gamine figure into that I am now reveling in styles that accentuate it.

Mary

Practically Family
Hi ladies

I just love this place. You know everything!

I've been interested in history and clothes for some years now. First it was into 60's but now I'm more into the 30's and 40's style and life. I still find old clothes at my granmothers that I didn´t see before. I love that, that I by learning more can see more beauty.

I want to learn more about hairdos because they´re the hardest. I mean once you find your dresses it´s only to put them on. I love all your photos. They give me hope that I one day will get that hairdo right!

Right now I want some pants like Kathrine Hepburn and I'm actually considering sewing a pair. Pants are so hard to find compared to dresses and shoes. Have had a very feminine style for years now so it´s a welcome change but I don't think I'll ever stop falling in love with dresses.

M.

Byron

New in Town
One of those new members

Hi, I'm Byron - one of the new members. I have recently retired and am enjoying the postings on the Fedora Lounge. My business career was in the aircraft industry.

My "outside" life has consisted of previously serving on a city council (five terms) and serving as mayor pro-tem three years. Currently, I'm serving as a campaign manager for a state representative candidate. Respecting the Fedora Lounge's groundrule on politics, that's all I will say about that.

The two authors that I respect the most are Ernest Hemingway and Raymond Chandler.

I have a small collection of 30's - 40's ties. I've tried to include traits of that time in several of my suits.

Looking forward to your Fedor Lounge postings.

drjones

A-List Customer
new? maybe....

hi....I found your forum a while back after a friend of mine DOCREDFIELD directed me to it. I enjoy the photos, the stories and the wealth of knowledge that exists here amongst the members. I reside in Arizona. There is a lot of history here but not much vintage that I have run into in regards to the 30-50s. anywho....Im enjoying this place. Thanks.

DRJONES

GI Joe

Familiar Face
Hello Fellow Loungers & new members! Paul here, checking in!

I joined a few days ago after following a link from a WWII reenactor's board. I have always been interested in the history and styles of American society in the 30's and 40's and in WWI in particular. While compiling my US Army infantryman's impression, I have also kept an eye out for other, more mundane, everyday artifacts from the era.

I have learned an awful lot just in the past few days and I have barely scratched the surface of the board. I look forward to continuing my education!

One of the nicest things I have already seen on this board is the level of civility and language in the posts. It's a real pleasure after reading the Red Sox boards I follow. Ladies and gentlemen indeed! :eusa_clap

Does this mean that Willie and Joe will have to shave before they can visit? Might be a little difficult, there's a war on, don't 'cha know!

Think I'll fire up the pipe and peruse some of my 1940's Life magazines!

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
I joined quite a while ago, but realised I never introduced myself here!

My name is Abi and I'm from Australia. I originally hail from Brisbane, but have just recently moved to Sydney. I'm currently an unemployed bum (though I'm working on remedying that) but I am fully qualified social worker (graduated last year) though I have no interest in working as one :p I'm hoping to start a diploma of costume next year, with plans on working in Theatre :D I also hope to get my label off the ground in the next couple of years, I'd like to design and make vintage inspired daywear. I always feel gorgeous when I'm wearing vintage, and I'd like to share that with other ladies by bringing them beautiful vintage clothing at a price affordable enough to wear everyday. Well that's the plan anyway!! :p

I've always been enamoured of vintage style, particularly the 40's and 50's, having grown up watching all those wonderful old movies! I absolutely adore the fashions; they're so beautifully tailored and really make every woman look glamourous! I know I always feel beautiful when I wear vintage! It's something that clothing today lacks - the ability to show off a woman's figure without showing skin or looking like a tramp! I'm just much better suited to vintage clothing, and I LOVE it!!

I was introduced to the forums by a friend of mine in the ACG, and it has become one of my favourite forums! I would like to start wearing vintage everyday (eeep gotta get out the sewing machine) and I love the inspiration that I find here!

So hello to everyone!!

Peter J.

New in Town
Hi,

Joined a couple of days ago, so guess it's about time to introduce myself.
I'm Peter (42) and interested in all things vintage (40's and 50's), mainly because of the styling but also the superior quality of products in those days.
Everything I own (that is vintage) still works perfectly after 50+ years (not counting replacing caps, resistors and valves/tubes in old radios).
My love for that period probably comes from spending a lot of time at my grandparents house, which was like a time capsule from the 50's until the late 70's.
Don't own any vintage clothing because it's impossible to find anything in my size (I'm tall).

ambrose

New in Town
Hello
Time for an intro
My names Ambrose and I am a quarter or a family known as the Andersons
We all live in the great county of Yorkshire in England We promote the interest in the forties by organising socials and dances as well as attending the prolific growth of forties re enactment events that are taking place all over England

If you wish to see what we get up too take a look at our web site It contains a lot of pictures and small home made movies of these events If it takes your fancy you could join our small but growing forum
By the way I am the one with a funny eye (The camera does lie especially with a flash and glasses)

www.1940s.info Its worth a butchers (sorry cockney rhyming slang butchers hook = look )

Willys Gal

New in Town
Hi All!

My name is Wendy and I joined a while back but never posted. My friend in London reminded me of this site so I'm back to join in the fun.

What got me interested in the 40's is that I own 3 WWII jeeps. 1 is drivable and the other 2 are waiting restoration. I have a 1941, 42 Willys MB's, and a 43 Ford GPW, all used in WWII.
I've always loved the 40's. But have kinda been a Rosie in rags while working on my jeeps. Now I REALLY want to play around with a bit more style;) .

I really enjoy reading your posts!!

Wendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran