Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Vanessa

One Too Many
that livejournal

Wow. I never thought the FL was "stuffy." With all of the . . .em. . .things that go on on the internet these days, I'm rather glad for a no-swearing, no-naughty pin ups kinda of place.

They prefer to keep things very civilized.

I rather hope so.

16_sparrows

Vendor
ITG said:
Too bad some of the 1940s gals aren't too fond of the FL:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/_the1940s/25690.html

Well that is a shame. Very odd because I'm a curser and I quite like that there is no cursing in the forums. In reading someone's words it is so much harder to understand tone or if there is humor behind it. Not cursing just helps keep drama down in an internet community.

Also...no pin-ups. It's nice to have a booby free area. Do you really need pin-ups to talk about the 30's or 40's? There are plenty of other places where you can find that.

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
I'm finally, officially saying hello, and also, I certainly don't find this place AT ALL stuffy. Pin ups, swears and the like are not necessary to this sort of discussion. What I love so much about the FL is the information exchange (and the knowledge base of its contributors). THAT'S why I finally joined, instead of living on the periphery, reading but not speaking.

I'm an historian in the Phoenix area studying preservation, postwar subdivisions in the Salt River Valley, a WPA-era school building in No. AZ, and so much else.

And I'm glad to be here!

ChorusGirl

Familiar Face
ITG said:
Welcome Addi. I briefly met you last year at the QM while I was waiting downstairs for my taxi to the airport. I look forward to seeing you at the QM!

Thaks Holly! I remember meeting you. And there was another Holly there too, right? Anywho, I also look forward to seeing you again!

Addi :)

P.S. Stuffy? This place? Silly people! They don't know what they are missing...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm so glad you gals like it here! I personally don't think this place is "leave it to beaverish", but they're welcome to make their own conclusions. There was etiquette back then that dictated when you acted a certain way. My primary concern is making the Lounge a place for learning and a safehaven for those who may just be starting out. I know I started when I was about 14, and I would have not liked seeing swearing and scandelous pinups! Tastefull pinups will always be classic and beautiful, but language and political discussions can often turn things sour.

Addi, so glad you're posting again! She is getting to have quite the eye for vintage! And she's a great dancer. Thanks for the lovely compliments :)

VivianRegan, I'm so glad you like the atmosphere! What you mentioned about the "information exchange" is precicely why I love the lounge as well! My knowledge has definately increased as I have been reading back over posts. I'm absolutely amazed at the knowledge of not only the ladies, but the men! I never knew there were so many guys who could date suits to within a few years!

cherrybombrandy, I'm so glad you're learning to sew! More girls seem to be picking up on it, and it makes me so happy! I think you'll find that you can make a vintage repro for much less than buying one- and it will fit you perfect and will last through a beating!

I am continually amazed at the lovely and interesting women that are gracing us here. Many welcomes!

Jessica

One of the Regulars
Hello There!

I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. My name is Jessica, and I am having a wonderful time visiting the Powder Room. I have loved the 50s pretty much my entire life. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era. My aunt always told me I looked like Marilyn Monroe, and that began my admiration and respect for the actress. I am an actress, a Marilyn Monroe tribute artist, and a first grade teacher.
Kisses to All!

Naama

Practically Family
Hello!

I'm pretty new here, just registered yesterday. I'm 20 years old, study art and live in vienna. I love the 20's and the early 30's. I was searching for a good forum and found the Fedora Lounge, so faar I like it quiet well.

Bye, Naama

Bewitched65

New in Town
Hello to everybody!
My name is Dagmar,I have found this site, by looking for 40's hairstyles(like so many..:) ).I enjoy it very much!!!!I live in Germany and was always fond of 'old movies',the music and fashion (glamorous) of the past.So far I have found nobody who shares my passion,but who knows....:)My husband is from Florida,where we used to live,we have 2 kids (15,18) and I work as a OB/GYN nurse.

Crookshanks

New in Town
Hello!

I've been looking for a forum like this for a while and was thrilled when I found The Powder Room here after linking my way through sites of the 30's and 40's. Been thinking for a long time I was the only one having this interest, couldn't find anyone anywhere loving The Golden Era as much as I do, and was almost convinced I would have to pack my bags and move to a bigger country to get in contact with like-minded people. But lucky me I searched and I found and as with everything else, when you once get in contact with one person all of a sudden the others pop up beside you and cling to you like moths around the closet.

My interest in the second world war and the interwar period started twelve years ago when I first watched "Swing Kids". I fell in love with everyone and everything right away but it took me years to actually start making something of it. Just recently I started taking Lindy Hop and Charleston lessons. I sing a little jazz with a friend and spend too much time in vintage shops not buying anything since I can't make up my mind what to buy out of all the stuff I want. But that will change as soon as I've learned to sort out my priorities... Food is really not that important after all, is it? ;)

I sometimes sew my own clothes but haven't yet started making repro's. It's all about money and about that copying and cutting out pattern pieces, how boring it is!

Well, that's it for now. As soon as I've managed to pin-curl my hair right I'll put my own face in the avitar.

Thank you all for a wonderful forum. I already feel at home. :)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Greetings

Hello,
My name is Barbi and my Mr. is a a 40's afficionado (especially with regard to films) and found this website looking for places to buy men's hats. He passed it along and has barely been able to get me off the computer since. We are especially fond of Nick and Nora Charles of The Thin Man series fame, lifestyle and fashion. I have always been very enamoured with the late 20's to early 50's era of style and decor. Up to now I have been too busy with children and life in general to really pursue the interest much. I have been poring over the powder room postings for the last week or so taking in all the great suggestions and ideas for retro hairstyling.

Recently Mr. Right purchased a new wardrobe of suits as a protest to the complete lack of style of contemporary Seattle 2005 and chose the 40's to model after. I feel sheepish to admit that it never really occurred to me to dress retro all the time, not sure if it is the medical administrative career which steers me to modern clothing but always looking for a flair of retro. Or the fact that I just haven't come across another female who liked the era as much as I do.

Now that Mr. Right is always dressed to the nines I find myself rethinking my own wardrobe and practicing a great deal with the hot rollers. I haven't been brave enough to attempt the pin curls yet. I bought a red party dress for Christmas that rings of late 40's (early 50's?) and some elegent satin wedgies. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the hair?!

I just want to say that all you ladies are lovely. I have so enjoyed checking out your photos and avatars. I look forward to knowing you better and learning a lot~~~Barbi

USO Gal

New in Town
Hello all!

I have been lurking here for a while and finally got around to logging in and introducing myself.

I have always liked the look and feel of bygone eras and when a friend introduced me to WWII reenacting I was hooked!

I work at the modern day USO part time, and reenact WWII USO camp shows producer upon occasion. While my primary interest is WWII (and the USO) I would say that I love anything vintage from 1935 to 1955.

A few months ago my friends and I finally jumped into the Swing Dance scene and we are loving it! That has just accelerated our love of all things vintage.

I was lucky enough to be raised in a family of people who tend not to just throw things away and get what fashion dictates. I know that in Jr. High I hated it - but now I appreciate that my mother still puts her hair in pin curls, and uses the same hairpin box that her mother used in the 20s.

My mother was married in 1957, and her mother was a flapper. So I grew up playing 'dress up' in all their old clothes from the ceder chests in the attic. Looking back - I never had a chance! I was destined to love vintage.

I am really excited to have found such a great forum and look forward to reading more!

swankysister

New in Town
USO Gal said:
A few months ago my friends and I finally jumped into the Swing Dance scene and we are loving it! That has just accelerated our love of all things vintage.
I appreciate that my mother still puts her hair in pin curls, and uses the same hairpin box that her mother used in the 20s.
My mother was married in 1957, and her mother was a flapper. So I grew up playing 'dress up' in all their old clothes from the cedar chests in the attic.

That's a terrific grounding USO Gal. I had the good fortune to view a 1920s beaded flapper's dress recently...you must have had great childhood and now, you can draw upon it and share with us! :)

Alpine Glamour

New in Town
Hello ladies!!

Well, I just joined about a week ago and was pleasantly surprised to find such a large community of vintage fanatics like me. So, let me introduce myself: my Name is Elena, I live in Switzerland (right in the middle of it). My mom is German, so I really feel more attracted to the whole German Golden Age (in fashion that is!!). Boy did my Oma have style!!!
Now I live with a fabulous man who loves early 50's furniture and decor, and vintage western wear. I dress in mostly 40's style clothing, which is a never-ending dilemma because of such seasonal variations in weather. My wardrobe is just never complete enough....sigh..... But now I know I have your sympathies.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Hi everyone, I'm Elizabeth and I live in NYC right now. I've been lurking for awhile, but that's about it.

My history is boring. Everyone has such nice stories about getting clothes from mom or grandma... my Grandma had fabulous clothes, but my entire family is obsessed with vintage and my cousins are much more... forward girls than I. (When Grandma talks about the time Grandpa took her to Saks to buy a couture sailor dress Betty says "Oh, that is so cool! Can I see it?" and Betty's cousin M says "Oh, that is so cool! Can I have it?" So now Betty is vintage poor and the cousins have everything. (Double tragedy: It's all my size and they can't fit it so it all just sits around.))

Anyway, I have another grandma and her sister had lovely clothes, so I at least have those to keep me company (her clothes weren't as nice as my other grandma's, though). I used to work as a stitcher and sometimes cutter at a couple big theaters so I usually just make my own. At least that way it all fits! I'm totally inept with my own hair and makeup, though.

I'm unemployed now that I'm out of grad school, but it looks like I'm looking into suit-type jobs now (never thought that would be the day) so I'm absolutely desperate to find some really chic retro suits I can wear to the office. (I absolutely must look like Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday).

Anyway, hi everyone!
BV

Serina

New in Town
Hello,

I joined here a few days ago, and mostly since then, I've been lurking around the Powder Room, reading all the great tips on hair and make-up etc.
I haven't been collecting vintage stuff very long, so I don't have a lot of vintage clothes to my name at the moment. I recently bought a couple of items from E-bay, which I am waiting to arrive in the post. I Just hope they are the right size!

My favourite era is the 1920's and 1930's, for the clothes and music, also films too. I don't know anyone else in the UK who is into vintage things, and most things events seem to be going on in the States. It's good to find online places such as this though. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm new, too and love lurking in here for great beauty tips! I actually went out and bought curlers this weekend and am experimenting with different styles. I also bought some very red lipstick! I was amazed at how much a change of shade in lips can transform a look.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New in Town

Hi,

My name is Cheryl, and I was at the recent QM summit where I quickly picked up a passion for the vintage lifestyle. It was so nice to meet some of the ladies from the lounge there. Everyone was so friendly and inviting. I must say I had a great time, and am looking forward to making my way back to California from Boston.
Thanks for welcoming us new gals into the powder room. I find this to be a great resource for me to learn. I hope to post some more after the holiday season is over.
I wish everyone a very happy holiday's
Cheryl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner