Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

melania lupu

New in Town
Hi, everyone. Like most of the new girls, I've been reading posts on this forum for some time now. And now I got around to registering. I can't say how happy I was to find all of you and how helpful it's been reading all of your advice. Where I live there's really no interest for reviving the past, and that makes me feel a bit lonely sometimes.

So thank you. :)

katiekat

New in Town
Hello all! This is my first time posting! I'm so excited about vintage things. I'm just getting into it, but I've always loved the era. For the last couple of days, I've been lurking pretty much 24/7, and I gotta say, I'm glad to be able to finally post, because I have about a million questions that have come to me!:)

Irish_Rin

New in Town
Me too

I'm new.. (I did post today tho) and I'm really excited to finally get off my duff and post to other's who can guide me and encourage me. I have done nothing but the occasional hairstyle or makeup, but I never feel more feminine than when I do this, so it's time to embrace all of it. Although, I work in a very small office.. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it off, the guys are going to go crazy...;)

I need to find a get started list. I do have many items on my dresser from the 40's, my china hutch also has many items from the depression area. My mom and dad both grew up during the depression (mom had me when she was almost 41) so I know the history well, and I just love all of it. My mom is gone now, but these are things and stories that forever bind us.

Oh where do I start?? :eek:

Miss Honey Bare

New in Town

Hello *waves*

I'm new here, just thought I would pop my head in and introduce myself.
I'm Miss Honey Bare and I've already enjoyed reading lots of interesting posts.
I look forward to getting to know you guys on the forums :)

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Hey, everyone!

I'm new to the site and am soooo glad I found it! A month ago I embarked on a year-long performance piece project called My 50's Year in which I play the part of a 50's housewife. As you can imagine, I've got a lot of questions and my old mags can't always help so this site is a Godsend!

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
hello im new to the lounge as well

i can't wait to gather info on my fav eras. I want to get more into the look and dress of it all. I hope i will get a lot of help. I love the previous post. I can't believe you lived as a 50's housewife for a year thats awesome. I bet it was hard.

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
Hello all!

I've come relatively recently to my interest in the older-style clothing. Rather oddly as well... I didn't care much before, but have always had odd interests in how things were, favoring pocket watches and older pens mostly (though I know very little about them in detail).

I got my new start thanks to a pair of jeans from Walmart. I washed them once, which made the button fall out and the zipper start to come out as well. I remembered stories about jeans that were stiff enough to stand by themselves when they were new, and jokes about only needing a new pair because someone stole the old one. So, I set out to find the best, most durable jeans I could. This lead me to reproductions (though largely done in Japanese brands now... :( ) More recently, I've taken a liking to the notion of never needing to buy boots again, which has lead me to the 1940's style used for White's Boots and the like (though I'll be saving for those for quite some time). It appears that my favorites of most everything are styled after the 1940s.

It may be a little different, in that I'm primarily just interested in work-wear, rather than the dapper suits that most others appear to be in to, but I suppose we each have our things.

ken100

Familiar Face
Hi

Hello, my name is Ken and im a hatahollic. Now Ive got that of my chest, a big hi to all on this fine site, Im enjoying reading the many interesting posts and of course seeing many a fine hat, very envious of the plethora of hat brands we dont seem to see here in Australia. Ive have liked wearing hats from a young age and being here in Australia I have a range of Akurbras including Style masters, rap, safari, snowy river and catleman, add in some berets and various uniform hats and caps from around the world and it just keeps growing. Great to meet you all, thanks for the warm welcome.
Ken

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ken100 said:
Hello, my name is Ken and im a hatahollic. Now Ive got that of my chest, a big hi to all on this fine site, Im enjoying reading the many interesting posts and of course seeing many a fine hat, very envious of the plethora of hat brands we dont seem to see here in Australia. Ive have liked wearing hats from a young age and being here in Australia I have a range of Akurbras including Style masters, rap, safari, snowy river and catleman, add in some berets and various uniform hats and caps from around the world and it just keeps growing. Great to meet you all, thanks for the warm welcome.
Ken

**waves**

(group response) HI KEN!

Moderator voice: Hi Ken, so glad you could join us. We here at The Fedora Lounge understand your problem and addiction. Be assured we here will value your privacy and keep your addiction in confidence.

Welcome to you and all the new members! We are glad you could join us. Next person?

Coralee

New in Town
Hello everyone....I've been lurking for quite some time and have finally got my account set up. I absolutely love this place!

I was wondering if anyone has some Canadian links to some of the products (especially beauty products) so many people are crazy about. It might just be because I'm in Eastern Canada and we can't get a lot of stuff down this way.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

GeorgeTheCat

New in Town
Hello Everyone

G the C checkin' in and saying hello. I just happened to stumble upon this joint while rambling around the www, so I decided to hang out and hoist a few. Here's mud in yer eye!:cheers1:

Sweet Ara D.

New in Town
New from Texas

Howdy!

My name is Sweet Ara D. and I just wanted to say hello to all of you in this awesome forum. I have been a collector of antiquities all my life and a lover of all things vintage. I have never been completly dedicated to an era until recently.

I got married this past December and was completly inspired by my grandmothers wedding photos and dress. We ended up with a 1950's-ish theme. I had the t-length dress, the music (I walked down the isle to "That's All" played by strings) and my husband even wore a fedora to the reception. Did even mention the soda fountain yet :) - I'll hopefully post some photos in the wedding thread later. Anyway - I fell in LOVE with everything about the 40's and 50's!!!

Also I am a photographer starting my own business!!! (I will not post a name or website as I don't want to break the vendors rule) I have decided that while I can do all types of photos my specialty is going to be old hollywood. You know - George Hurrell and the gang!!! I LOVE those photos. They are so classy and beautiful and I could look at them all day.

I have done 3 shoots so far with girls trying to stay in that era and I think they have come out decent. I will really be looking to this forum for ideas and inspiration in attaining that perfect old hollywood look (hair, make-up, clothing, objects of the era). Everyone seems to know so much here that I am excited to get learning!

I would also love to post some old hollywood photos I have taken to get everyones opinion - but again I am not sure of the rules so I will figure those out before I post anything!

Looking forward to getting to know you all!!!

-Sweet Ara D.:)

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Bonjour, swelegants!

I'm a freelance fashion writer and mommy living out the 50's dream for one year. My experiment in living means I can't partake of any sort of post-50's media (I make an exception to the internet since it aids my project and gives me a sense of 50's-style community) or post-50's appliances.
I'm devoting this year to being the perfect stereotypical 50's housewife, curlers, girdle, and all.

Let's see how long I last.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Marzipan said:
I'm a freelance fashion writer and mommy living out the 50's dream for one year.

Great project! I think it will offer some interesting challenges, but with sufficient creativity and adapability it could be a lot of fun. One thing that will really help establish your 50s mindset is to stock up on tapes and DVDs of 50s TV shows and watch them exclusively. Oh - and be sure to master the Art of the Casserole and learn to overcook everything...

If you ever need some tips on how it really was, I'll be happy to oblige. I was there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy