Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Miss Ritz

New in Town
Hello!
I've been meaning to make my first post for quite a while now, where better but here? I'm so glad to of found a place where other people share my interest in the era! I have a slowly growing collection of vintage dresses and would love to be able to get dolled-up more often (so far, Boise hasn't shown itself to be a hub of vintage glam!). I can't wait to look around here a bit more :)

jacqueline101

New in Town
I found this site when i was looking for Baldwin Modern Marceller Hair Rollers

Lets see what drew me to the site was the vintage aspect and you can ask questions with out feeling ashamed. Most people judge anyone who isnt into the lastes crazes. My favorite era that is a tough one i like all aspects of vintage items. I like the page boy hair do, square nails that is fairly modern and most oviously the wave dos of the 20's. I do like the old classic movies of the 50's. My hero is greta garbo she is a really beautiful person./

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello Tulip-.yippee, another hat gal...

I also looove vintage hats- though I am sticking with primarily the 40s, and maybe an ocassional 30s. I discovered there were vintage hats on evilBay and they have taken over at our house! I've now got a vintage hat collection (25+ hats and still growing). I wear them all, mine are not just for display. Too much fun... Don't forget to look over in the HAT section- the guys are always wearing incredible hats there!

Tulip said:
but not just for the clothes - the hats too (vintage hats are taking over my life and apartment)!
See you flowers around xx

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Hello after months of hanging around without joining...

Hi!! My name is Lori and I live in Illinois (near St. Louis, MO) I honestly can't tell you how I found the lounge as I've been hanging out without joining for months... I have a degree in Historic Preservation so I've always loved vintage stuff but have in the past few years feel in love with vintage clothing. (I just wish I could afford more of it)

I work at a County park that was originally a military base from 1827-1946 and a reception center during WWII (if you know anyone who was in the Midwest for induction to WWII they probably went through our park) so I've gotten the chance to dress in everything from 1850s- 1940s and I have to say my favorite is 1940s. (aka no corsets...) I have recently started sewing and finished my first 1940s pattern for a WWII Weekend Canteen Dance at the park at the end of the month, so hopefully sewing off sets the cost of vintage clothing for me!!

I can't think of anything else so I guess that is it.. :) :) :)

Lauren said:
Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the new ladies I've seen around the lounge! Please let us know a little about yourself, like how you found the lounge, what your favorite eras are, etc. I love learning about new people!

Welcome again, ladies!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello Lori and welcome...

Sounds like a wonderful place to work- I'm jealous:) I'd love to see a picture of you in the dress you made, was it hard to sew? I've sewn for years and years bu never any vintage patterns.

Just what is a degree in Historic Preservation?? I don't know if one can get a degree in that out here... I love the 40's stuff too, especially HATS!

A WWII Canteen Dance sounds like fun, tell us about it please. I think on the Observation Bar, you can post about events??

Lorelai99 said:
Hi!! My name is Lori and I live in Illinois (near St. Louis, MO) I honestly can't tell you how I found the lounge as I've been hanging out without joining for months... I have a degree in Historic Preservation so I've always loved vintage stuff but have in the past few years feel in love with vintage clothing. (I just wish I could afford more of it)

I work at a County park that was originally a military base from 1827-1946 and a reception center during WWII (if you know anyone who was in the Midwest for induction to WWII they probably went through our park) so I've gotten the chance to dress in everything from 1850s- 1940s and I have to say my favorite is 1940s. (aka no corsets...) I have recently started sewing and finished my first 1940s pattern for a WWII Weekend Canteen Dance at the park at the end of the month, so hopefully sewing off sets the cost of vintage clothing for me!!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Lorelai99 said:

Welcome Lorelai! I was born in Belleville and lived in Granite City until I was 5, then St Louis. Sounds like you have an interesting job. Be sure to post some pictures, we love that :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you know my Deco Daughter?

vintagemaven said:
Hello ladies. I am new here and need someone to take me under their wing so to speak. I love swing dancing, the cicada club, and 1930 and 1940 dresses.

Do you know Ashley, fedora name Miss1940sGlamourGirl? She's at the Cicada every week, sometimes doing coat check... I highly recommend her!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShadyDell said:
My name is Jen and I am very new to the lounge. Still getting the hang of making my way around the site. A high school classmate of mine from many moons ago invited me to join. I live in Bisbee, AZ with my beau, Justin and we own a vintage trailer court called The Shady Dell and Dot's Diner (www.theshadydell.com).

We live and breathe the 40's and 50's and love to share this with our guests who come and stay. It is refreshing to see others who are crazy about collecting and dressing in this style too! I see that some of you will be attending Viva Las Vegas 2009. We will be there with our truck and 1956 trailer. It would be swell to meet some of you in person!

Jen :)

I have been dying to go there for years! Your reputation precedes you! Welcome!

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
There are many schools around the country that have HP as a degree choice... they just aren't very well known. And sometimes they just have the Museum Studies part of it.

I don't know how to post pictures... but if someone could tell me how I can post them on the "Show us what you made" board.

The Canteen Dance is an event our park puts on for the reenactors that do WWII weekend and the general public. The WWII reenactment is one of hte oldest in the country and is April 25-26 at Jefferson Barracks. The Canteen Dance is at night that Saturday and there is a Big Band. It's fun. There are the reenactors there then alot of the WWII vets and then other general public. I usually dress up and sell raffle tickets.

QUOTE=chanteuseCarey]Sounds like a wonderful place to work- I'm jealous:) I'd love to see a picture of you in the dress you made, was it hard to sew? I've sewn for years and years bu never any vintage patterns.

Just what is a degree in Historic Preservation?? I don't know if one can get a degree in that out here... I love the 40's stuff too, especially HATS!

A WWII Canteen Dance sounds like fun, tell us about it please. I think on the Observation Bar, you can post about events??[/QUOTE]

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
Welcome Lorelai! I was born in Belleville and lived in Granite City until I was 5, then St Louis. Sounds like you have an interesting job. Be sure to post some pictures, we love that :)

That's awesome! I am an Air Force Brat but I have lived in Belleville since I was 10.

My icon picture is actually me at Waffle House after an event at the park.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Michael Jecks said:
Well, I've just been allowed to join - and having just watched Olivier acting as Mr de Winter in Rebecca, I suppose this is a good time to introduce myself.

I'm a very keen hat-owner. I presently own about thirty two of them - but only two fedoras. Most of mine are basic tools - peaked hats for keeping my glasses dry. So I own several deerstalkers, some flat caps, two rally caps, a number of country-style (that's English country) tweed hats, and a few baseball caps - including one lovely blue one with the Glock Perfection logo (I used to shoot a M21).

Since reading this site, though, I've developed a fascination for fedoras, and I'm hoping that my latest acquisition (you guys have persuaded me) of an Akubra Federation will get around my usual problem: a large (63-64) head with a longish face. You try getting a fed that looks good in those dimensions! I think the Federation should be OK, with any luck.

Beyond that, I am an author of crime books - 28 and counting. I write medieval novels set in Dartmoor, so I walk around a lot (Two Tilley Endurables for that) for my research. I've been a keen collector of finer things - I love my Conway Stewart Drake and Churchill fountain pens, my pocket watch from Moretonhampstead, built by a Napoleonic POW, and my library.

I also love my dogs. Although the morning I came downstairs to find my Rhodesian Ridgeback had eaten two hats was not one of the best days in my - or her - life!

Yay! Another writer! Welcome, Michael, and welcome to everyone else!

MissKrystal

New in Town
Hey ladies! My name is Krystal, as you can tell by my screen name, and I hail from Ottawa, Canada. I have been lurking for some time now, and decided to join. I am starting Hairstyling school in a month, and am just dying with anticipation. I love the threads about the vintage hairstyles, and beauty tips, I live for that. I also dress in a vintage fashion, late 50's-early 60's mostly, although I do own a few darling 40's dresses. My favorite past time is scouring consignment shops in Toronto and Montreal. Nice to meet you all!

katz8589

New in Town
Hello Everyone!

I've been reading posts for a while and decided to join! I've been a reenactor and collector most of my life. I really love the teens and the 40's. I'm really excited to learn new things and maybe share some of my own knowledge.

Cheers! Katie

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Hello there!

I live in Mesa, Arizona and just had a beautiful baby boy 7 weeks ago. Sadly, I returned to work on Monday, I manage an auto and residential glass shop at the moment.

I found this site just yesterday and am so thrilled! :D I absolutely love vintage fashion! I am so excited to learn from all of you ladies! I'm already making a mental shopping list, now I just need to learn how to sew! lol

Holly Feld

New in Town
Hi, my name's Holly-I've been lurking for a short time, and finally decided to mount up.
I'm from Denver, CO and have only recently really become interested in truly vintage styles and methods of dressing and styling hair. Sadly, some of this comes out of my grandmother passing- she was a classic beauty with great style, and I'd like to be as classy as her (someday!). It sure looks like I can learn about that here.
I'm married and I have a band with my husband- we play classic country music (covers and originals).
Can't wait to keep reading and learning from all you lovely ladies!

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
miss_killin said:
Hello there!

I live in Mesa, Arizona and just had a beautiful baby boy 7 weeks ago. Sadly, I returned to work on Monday, I manage an auto and residential glass shop at the moment.

I found this site just yesterday and am so thrilled! :D I absolutely love vintage fashion! I am so excited to learn from all of you ladies! I'm already making a mental shopping list, now I just need to learn how to sew! lol

Trust me as someone who just learned how to sew... if you follow the directions you can't screw it up too bad and nothing can't be fixed!! Most all of the current pattern companies have vintage reprint pattern out right now alot of them 1940s and 1950s. Start simple and then go from there!!:D

BlackandWhite

New in Town
Pleasured to meet you

Dear ladies and gentlemen

Here is a little “Hello” from Europe, Germany. Now than, as a new member of this wonderful lounge I step forward with a curtsy, like I do every week in my lessons as a dancing master. My Name is Henriette, 32 years old, working in the main occupation in the after sales department for a ship chandler. Of cause it is not a fortune that this is my job. I love the luxury ocean liners like the famous Titanic. I passionately go for the swing music - the rat pack and of cause Mr. Frank Sinatra are my favorites. Mrs. Marlene Dietrich inspires me every day anew with her courage to stand up for her beliefs.
I look forward learning form you all and having cultured and intelligent conversations. Thank you all for keeping the lounge in this wonderful spirit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails