Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
Dutchess said:
Hello everybody,
Nice to meet you!
My nickname is Dutchess and I live in the centre of the Netherlands with my husband and pet guinea pigs. I love 1920's and 1930's hairstyles and am very fond of tailored suits in 40's and 50's style. Combine that with Victorian jewelry... and don't forget black hats, red lipstick and outrageous shoes!
Hobbies: tapdance and flamenco...Olé!
This definitely looks like the best vintage forum around, so I couldn't wait to join.
(My avatar is me on my wedding day, dressed in a late-Victorian-inspired dress with a train, corset and jacket and matching underwear, which I designed myself and a dear friend was so kind to make. Not the right era for this forum, but the most avatar-looking pic I could find)

LOVE IT!
Wow, you designed it with all the matching counterparts? Fantastic!

I love the Victorian era as well!!!

Miss Bunny

New in Town
Hi,
I have enjoyed some of the topics so much that I decided to take the plunge and become a member. (I would have posted sooner but I had to find a picture worthy of an avatar... I truly prefer to be on the other side of the camera though... :eek: ) My main interests are in the beauty and fashion of the 20s through the 40s and this forum has been really informative. So, thank you for all you've already done to help me, you folks are really great! :)

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
Intro

Hello All,

My name is Hector, and I live in Virgina. Somehow I was nicknamed Duck when I was young and hence came my FL name.

I try to dress nicely whenever I'm not doing yard work, riding a horse, or other physical activities. People often ask me why I am so dressed up (even when I'm only wearing a long sleeve shirt, khakis, and loafers), and I have to reply, "why not?"

I am a bit of and antiquarian and perhaps that's why I sport a fedora. Like others here, I like big band and jazz including Benny G., Harry James, Les Brown, Duke Ellington, Glay Gray, Woody Herman, etc.

Wow this is begining to sound like a personal ad so I'll finish this message....

This looks like a great community and I'm ooking forward to chatting with everyone.

cptjeff

Practically Family
I guess I should drop in here...

My name is Jeff, I'm a college student from North Carolina going to school in upstate New York. I've pretty much always worn hats since I have a condition called trichotillimania, where I pull out my own hair. Needless to say, my hair doesn't often look presentable, so I wear a hat pretty much everywhere. For years that was baseball caps, but in recent years I've turned to more mature hats- fedoras and ivy caps mainly. I do still wear baseball caps on occasion, but nice ones only these days.

I've always enjoyed dressing nicely, but I don't get the chance much as a student, so my style tends to be mature casual- lots of sport shirts, Dark jeans and decent sweaters and jackets.

I guess that's me and my style in a nutshell.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Hi folks -

Jennifer, aka Jen here. I've appreciated styles of the 20's through 40's for many years, and have occasionally donned vintage looks. The last few years have also taken me into the realm of earlier historic wear and reenactment (16th to 18th century). As of late, I'm yearning for the vintage looks seen here at the Lounge, and will be shedding the peasant frocks in favor of tailored skirt suits and day or evening dresses.

I've gotten into a pre-WWII era fan group that's local to me as well (ConGaloosh.org), so I'll have the chance to blend in a little amongst a late 1930's crowd at a yearly gathering. But, I'll be searching for additional places and events in my area (Central FL) too. That, or I may be heading to a dance hall or gathering near you. ;)

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone -

I live in Orlando, FL and had popped my head in over here a few times since joining the COW board. Saw folks over there that are Lounge posters, and their vintage style pulled me over here. Looking forward to scoring vintage finds in my area (I hear Ybor City has a lot) and chopping off my locks a bit to help with 1930's hairdos. That, and I'd love to learn dance steps of the era.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Welcome to you all!

Here, we're all glad you decided to jump in and join the discussion! Just remember there's all sorts of conversations going on in the various sections, don't get stuck in just one little section, there's so much you can learn. There is a search in each section to find the good stuff and you can reply to an old thread to bring it back into the conversation.

As new members you are sort of on probation and won't become full lfedged members until you reach a magic number of posts - I think it's around 20 or 25 and then you can send private messages.

Be sure to look into the other sections, especially the EVENTS thread. The Fedora Loungers are posting some great events, some are putting to gether specifal Fedora Lounge Meet Ups and these are around the US and around the world. Feel free to post a a local event, but PLEASE use the What, Where, When info in the thread title. You may find that there are fellow FLers near enough to attend too! Nothing beats meeting fellow vintage enthusiasts!

We're getting together in Los Angeles this Oct 16-18 and we're looking at a really big meet in MAY 2010 at the Queen Mary. If you're looking for a destination vacation or you're local to us, come on by!

RobynLe

New in Town
Another New Girl

Hi everyone! I'm Robyn and I've been exploring and lurking around a for a bit and just joined today. I was googling regular, everyday vintage photos and pics and I found a site(can't remember who) that mentioned the FL and I ended up here looking at some great photos in that thread. I was actually looking for some good pictures of gals in pants. It seems like all I ever see is dresses. Then I started looking at the other threads because there are so many good topics on here and anyway here I am! :)

I just turned 36 a couple weeks ago and I'm married and have two kitties--which are my kids! My husband is a retired USAF veteran (of 30 yrs!!) and we are originally from New Orleans, but haved lived in Houston since hurricane Katrina in '05. Either place is just hot and sticky and not fun to dress up in, in the summer time. So I've come to love my winter wardrobe way better!

I started loving bygone eras when I was a youngster and fell in love with Marilyn Monroe. But alas, she was just my first crush! Since then, I discovered Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Sinatra and so many more lovely creatures!! Now all I watch, it seems like, is TCM (if I visit their site I will go broke), crime and home improvement shows. I do watch some newer movies too, it depends. So, I've always loved old hollywood, but now I'm looking beyond that, at everyday vintage. I love the eras between the 20s and 50s, with my fav being the 40s-- I'm still making up my mind! I have a few pieces of my grandmother's clothes and some jewelry(some costume) and sadly, nothing of my mother's from her teen yrs in the 50's. And they are both gone now so I can't even ask them about anything. :( So I'm learning on my own. And I am going to be learning how to sew very soon, would you believe my DH knows more about sewing than me?! lol He is 16 yrs older than me, but I am closer to his age than he is to mine. I think I should have been born in his era anyway!

I'm babbling now, but I am so happy to be here and meeting like minded people and learning even more! Hope I can contribute some good things too.

And by the way, I don't care if people on other forums or sites think the FL is stuffy or whatever! I think it's great that you keep things polite here. The real world is negative enough, we don't need it in here too!!

Robyn

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Pardon...

Please pardon my faux-pas, of not introducing myself here!

My name is Sandi, my partner and I collect many useless coins and bills from 1968 and beyond, plus some newer ones. We run an antique mall space in Portland. (He mostly straightens for me! Shhh....!)

I am the computer person, as he abhors them!

I have been into vintage clothing for MANY years. I dragged him into it!

I had a space in an antique mall on Cannery Row, many years ago. I never stopped collecting. And hopefully, I may continue to have one!

Thank you,

Sincerely, Sandi

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lorrel Mae said:
I have been into vintage clothing for MANY years. I dragged him into it Sincerely, Sandi

Step up to the bar.

Welcome newcomer!

Nuestra casa es su casa.

But just a small piece of advice.... avoid making eye contact with the blokes in hats ...who you notice "loitering with intent" around the premises...especially ones from Florida...

guellimus

New in Town
Hi there everyone!

My name is Will, I'm 22 years old and am finishing up my last year of school here in Greenville, SC.

I grew up watching all sorts of classic movies that my father would go out and rent, he'd fall asleep halfway through, but I'd be fascinated by what I watched.

I developed a love of Jimmy Stewart, especially his work with Hitchcock and Frank Capra. As I got older, I also dove into the classic works of Raymond Chandler, Ross MacDonald, and Dashiell Hammett.

I began with collecting vintage cameras and records, now I'm slowly working on furniture for my apartement, as well as vintage clothes.

I stumbled on the Fedora Lounge a few months ago and absolutely love that I've found a great group of like-minded folks!

David F

New in Town
Hello Everyone!

Just a note to introduce myself. My name is David. I am a longtime lover of textiles and fashion from the golden age of fashion.

I used to do a bit of reenacting the World Wars in years past but have not been able to keep that up. My favorite times were always the public displays or better yet, interacting with fellow reenactors/living historians.

My daughter (Elizabeth F) introduced me to the Lounge as she is an avid lover of the 1920's. She's quite active in making her passion for the decade a big part of her daily life: music, movies, fashion...etc. The apple didn't fall far!

As of now, I'm in Korea, but that will change in a few short months. I hope to return with a few bespoke suits and want to get back to a more active lifestyle of appreciating the 1910's thru the 1940's.

David

Maurice Overby

New in Town
Hello everbody

Some words about me and my nick.

As my nick implies, I'm fond of mystery literature, especially about Con Men.
Maurice 'Otherguy' Overby is a fictional character invented
and used in several mysteries by the late Ross Thomas.
His character 'Otherguy' Overby is kind of suporting cast in stories
featuring Artie Wu and Quincey Durant, two
hardboiled, very resourcefull guys travelling the Pacific rim.
Otherguy is a guy without moral, but with principles,
and he uses clothes very consiously much to his advantage.
Although R. Thomas stories happen later than the Golden Era, the main protagonists share a certain view of the world wich can often be found eg. in the films of the black series.
I like that versatility and ambiguity of Otherguy's very much, and
I always imagine him wearing a Fedora or Straw hat, though I don't know by heart if R. Thomas actually ever described him using a lid.
In fact, Otherguy sometimes dresses himself inapropriate or outright ugly to con the mark into believing himself superior.
Don't know why, but those situations always invoke the imagination of a brown leathery trilby in me.
No offense meant.
Concerning myself, I'm a hat-addict turning former software developer with a serious internet problem ;-)
I live in the german part of the old world in a small city between two big cities.
I've lurked & learned in the dark of this lounge for quite a while, before I tried my 1st post.
Now I look forward into a future full of surprising hats.

Greetings to you all
Otherguy

jimiez

New in Town

hi, my name is jim. i have been trying to post for almost a week. i guess there is a waiting period. anyway i have been collecting vintage clothing for about 20 years. i love palm beach, fleck suits, and two tone shoes, hard to find. i just found this site a week ago, interested in adding to my collection and proper dress. jimiez

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner