Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Hi I am Claire

Hi to everyone here

I am the new girl.
I discovered you guys a few weeks ago and realised there was an alternate universe waiting for me to find it.
I have always dressed vintage but not thought about it much. But a few months ago developed an obbsession (and thats not much of an overstatement!) about the fifties.
Since then i have gradually been researching aspects of it such as makeup and hair then Hey presto.. you guys appeared in my life.
I am very interested in spreading my obbsession downwards into the fourties and maybe earlier. So much to discover!

I am eternally grateful to find that i am not the only one in the world who likes to play dress up everyday and who has burning questions about eyebrow shapes and skirt lengths.
So thank you all so much for illuminating me about so much already.

I like to talk so may not be able to stop myself posting lots and lots.
Oh and i live in Wellington,New Zealand so if there are any fellow kiwis on here then Kiaora to you.
i am lucky i guess because Wellington is a very alternative place and diversity is celebrated. So i can dress how i like and source pretty cool stuff quite easily.
I do envy you Americans your access to benefit makeup however!

looking forward to getting to know you all
xx

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Welcome Claire! Like you I started out mostly interested in the 1950s when I joined and my interests have definitely expanded since then! :) I look forward to your posts.

Mcfly

New in Town
I'm a new user of the forum. Been visiting for years now. Think I originally came across this after spending too much time on Club Obi Wan obsessing about the hat, jacket, and boots.

Started branching out and coming to terms with the fact that I was probably born in the wrong time (as it seems many on the board feel) and decided to now join the forum to share and learn more.

I'm fascinated with classic adventures, travel (love the PanAm Clippers, wish there were still around), and all around just love quality built/made items from the earlier part of the 20th century.

I'm also a recent transplant to So. Cal (originally from Philly, then DC) and looking to connect with some local vintage aficionado's.

jemjefferson

New in Town
I'm Elizabeth

Hello to all you Ladies. I have lurked here for a couple of weeks and felt it was time to stop being a wall flower and introduce myself.

I live in a small town in Missouri with my husband and two girls. The benifit to small town living is the wonderful finds at estate sales and yard sales, however the negative aspect is the ignorance to anything different. :rolleyes: I am happy to find a on-line community of folks like myself.

I am currently a stage preformer/stay at home mom, with ambitions of traveling with my own review.

theplaiddress

New in Town
longtime lurker poking her nose in

*waves* I've been browsing the Powder Room for months now, seeking inspiration from all the brilliant ladies over there, although I haven't gotten the nerve up to actually post anything yet.

Ever since I discovered my first thrift store when I was 15, I've been hooked on vintage. I dabble in contemporary style for comfort and for the sake of minimizing my position as the oddball of the group (I've got enough quirks without going all-out vintage on my friends!)... But the things that really make me gasp are the so-called "old" things. The classic things. The pretty whimsicality of some clothes as well as the pure sophistication and the attention to detail of others.

The other day I was trying on outfits for our office's upcoming holiday gala, and I realized that the dresses I loved the best were the vintage ones. So I came back here posthaste and I'll try to become more active!

<3 Plaid.

theplaiddress

New in Town
a lurker emerges...

*waves* I've been browsing the Powder Room and Beauty forums for months now, seeking inspiration from all the brilliant ladies here, although I haven't gotten the nerve up to actually post anything yet.

I'm 24 years old and live in Washington, DC, with my two lovely but decidedly not vintage roommates. Ever since I discovered my first thrift store when I was 15, I've been hooked on vintage. I dabble in contemporary style for comfort and for the sake of minimizing my position as the oddball of the group (I've got enough quirks without going all-out vintage on my friends!)... But the things that really make me gasp are the so-called "old" things. The classic things. The pretty whimsicality of some clothes as well as the pure sophistication and the attention to detail of others.

The other day I was trying on outfits for our office's upcoming holiday gala, and I realized that the dresses I loved the best were the vintage ones, and the makeup I was envisioning was straight off of Clara Bow. I haven't done much of anything vintage with my hair, but I'm getting a nice fresh cut in a week, and I just picked up a set of rollers, so I'm hoping to do a little experimenting in the coming weeks.

My pet eras are the 20s and 30s, but anything before 1965 has the potential to knock me flat on my back in awe...

<3 Plaid.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
John from Porterville

Hello. I am very new to the Lounge. I've posted a bit on some pomade related threads, but I thought I'd introduce myself here.

I am very interested in classing up my attire. I'm not really concerned with period-correctness, but I'm looking to give my wardrobe a more focus, vintage-inspired look. I love the work clothes of the early 20th century.

I'm a husband and a father of two boys. I work as a Research Biologist. I enjoy spending time with my family and playing music with my friends.

Glad to be here,
John

ChristineSprig

New in Town
Hello Dolls!

Just a quick "Hi there" and "Hello!" to all of you. I am fairly new here, though I have been a lurker for the past few months. I love late 30s, 40s and early 50s fashions and hair. Love old radios, cars, and clothes. WWII era is probably my favorite time to portray, as it has a lot of nostalgia attached to it.

Hope that I can be of some help, and that I can get some as well.

Thanks all,

-CS

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another local!

Nora Mae said:
Hello ladies,

I've been lurking and realized that I just started posting without introducing myself; my name is Nora, I'm in the wonderful San Francisco Bay Area, and I've been flirting with transforming my whole wardrobe into a vintage montage (mostly through reproductions, but it suits me). It all seems to have started when I got an Ultra-Lounge album out from the library, and now its all downhill... my cats keep getting smeared with red lipstick!

Look forward to getting to know you all!
Hi Nora Mae! Please post more so we can PM, I will invite you to things! I'm over in Oakland.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Homie!

jetgirl said:
Hello there. I've been reading parts of the forum on and off for a while. My husband and I throw parties with a vintage feel and run a vaudeville/sideshow/early burlesque stage. Our whole look is influenced by HBO's Carnivale from a few years ago and is a blue collar answer to steampunk. If you know the Bay Area these days, it's all steampunk steampunk steampunk. That's fun, but as craftsmen and women, we tend to gravitate more towards the depression era with a bit of faded glamor. Similar to Robyn, I really like to find examples of women in workwear as I am either in 1930's performance outfits or breaking down the stage and need workable pants, etc! Last year I found the thread about working men's clothing from the 30's and passed on a lot of the information to the men in our group. I was a member of the Bay Area Costumer's Guild years ago, so I am hoping to start sewing quite a bit more soon (lately it's all been costumes). I'm 3/4 of the way through the Decades of Style overalls : )

I am primarily interested in the 1930's and 20's with a few forays into the 40's.

Thanks for this great resource!

It's not ALL steampunk, there's those of us who stick to Deco. Would love to get together!
Tell me more about the show...

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Hello, all. My name is Rich; I live in an old Chicago bungalow with my wife and two of our five kids. I probably won't be a prolific poster but am happy to have found the Lounge.

I was born in 1950 and grew up in rural southern Illinois, surrounded by old technologies that were still the fabric of everyday life: fountain pens, pocket watches, harness, hand tools, tube radios, a crank telephone, old electric sheep-shearing clippers that smelled of machine oil and lanolin and were heavy because every moving part was copper and steel. When I add that my consciousness of style was probably first tweaked awake by some old Roycrofters books, a Mission chair, the architecture of a Carnegie library and of John Deere tractors, and the '40s ties, double-breasted suits, and broad-brimmed fedoras that my dad and a few of his friends still wore to church when I was a tyke, you'll understand why I was doomed. :)

I am a librarian, part-time teacher, sometime writer, and sometime would-be musician (bass-baritone like someone else here, pianist, erstwhile trombonist, beginning fiddler, occasional songwriter); old hippie; pipe-smoker; general codger. My style, such as it is, is eclectic and low-budget (see "librarian" in regard to the budget :( ). I found FL while looking for information on fedoras, who'da thunk ... and among other things am very happy to note that in the classifieds, unlike eBay, a guy with a size 7 1/2 head can hope to find a suitable hat without taking out a second mortgage.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcomes!

Miss 1929 said:
It's not ALL steampunk, there's those of us who stick to Deco. Would love to get together!
Tell me more about the show...

Haha, you are correct, it just sometimes SEEMS like it is all steampunk. We are throwing an event November 28th, but we're switching it up this time as we are inviting various musical acts and having a "Turkey shoot" theme. ie: slightly hillbilly with a nod to the thirties. :p El Radio Fantastique is performing as well as Brothers Horse and the Easy Leaves. A few of my regular dancers/performers will do a few numbers as well (although not the full variety show we usually put on). The fantastic "Porch" (a motorized front porch, kitchen, and outhouse pulled by a vintage tractor named Bessie) will be in attendance as well.

More information can be found here: oilpunk.com If you click this link, it will have information on our stage and show (and a host of other things). The Boiler Bar event rentals.

Is there a place to find local events here on The Fedora Lounge? I'd like to be able to see when a Bay area events are happening. Yes Miss 1929, keep in touch!

Hoosierken

New in Town
I've actually already posted in the connoisseur thread but I thought I'd post some more information here.

I live in Southern Indiana, USA. Small town named Boonville. I live with my wife, daughter and grandson. My daughter is just out of a nasty divorce and is staying with us for a while. I love having her and my 3 year old grandson home every day.

My daughter and I are the two most interested in vintage clothing. My wife is more into vintage furniture and such. Hats, pipes, and watches are special to me. They form a rich connection with me and a past, especially my dad. I wish I could have gotten ahold of a couple of his hats before he died. The old B&W photos I have of him prove that he had great style and class in how he dressed. I'm looking more like him every day too.

Well, it's good to be here.

Ken

Elise

New in Town
Good evening everybody,
my name is Elise and I live in France (so please forgive me if I don't write perfectly, I promise I'll try to do my best).
I'm interesting in fashion and society from 1920's to 1950's.
I like a lot vintage clothes and accessories but as I'm far from being rich I can't buy all those I like, so I find solace in reading old magazines and surfing the Internet everywhere I can find subjects on "retro" fashion.
And of course I'm happy to be there.
Elise

Bitsy

New in Town
Hi all,

I just have to say that discovering this forum is like getting back to the mother ship for me. I've always felt I was "born in the wrong era."
Here are my interests:
I like 1920s and 1930s homes and architecture. I love deco furniture (though I like some later mid-century pieces.)
I love WWII fashion, hair, makeup, etc.
However, I feel like I am a 50s gal when it comes to my personal style. I feel it better suits my body type, personality and coloring. I also love cars from the 50s.
I almost exclusively favor 1950s and 1960s music, from R&B to pop to rock 'n' roll.

I dream of having a fully vintage wardrobe and home.

My favorite place in the whole world is the Queen Mary, and I was fortunate enough to have grown up 5 minutes' drive from it. Saturday nights at the Observation Bar with a a tonic water (hold the gin, please) and a live band! Heaven.

I'm working on getting 15 posts so I can put up photos of my (very few) goodies.

ETA: I successfully used pillow rollers for a school event last week. It was my first attempt (after miserably failing with pin curls!) and I think it came out lovely, if I may say so. So, thanks for all the information in the Beauty section!!

Ms_Jessica

New in Town
Just Saying Hello

Hello Ladies,

I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I love the 40's and 50's eras and the silver screen goddesses from that time. I have a particular fondness for Marilyn, and work as a Marilyn impersonator and model when I'm not busy chasing my 17 month old son around. I am a very happy wife and mother and adore adding to my collection of furniture and clothing from my favorite eras.

Warm Regards,
Ms. Jessica

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Hello Everyone

My name is Sonia and found out about FL through an Ebay seller.

I wanted to make a quick into as my typing abilty is limited due to physical differance ;) I moved to Western MA last year from Alaska. I am a single mom to 3 ages; 29, 15, 11, my oldest ds lives in CA (where we are all originally from) and my other 2, a ds and dd live here with me.

I LOVE! vintage!, my fav era's are 40s, & 50s and some very early 60s.
I enjoy the simplicity of times gone bye... I was born in '61 a late 'boomer' just like Obama and have many, many, many recollections of those days back when...

I hope to make some friends here both near and far as I really haven't anyone that i'd call more than an aquaintence. I get quite lonely and day-dream of meeting up, dressing up in vintage and having socials :) My true fascination with vintage clothing is that it IS unique as am I... I am an Amputee and get looked at alot. I don't care! I am me and here for a purpose and respect others for who they are and how the dress:)

Sonia

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Claireg said:
I like to talk so may not be able to stop myself posting lots and lots.
Oh and i live in Wellington,New Zealand so if there are any fellow kiwis on here then Kiaora to you.
i am lucky i guess because Wellington is a very alternative place and diversity is celebrated. So i can dress how i like and source pretty cool stuff quite easily.
I do envy you Americans your access to benefit makeup however!

looking forward to getting to know you all
xx

I worked in Wellington for a few months and loved it and the people there. I seriously considered emigrating to New Zealand. Welcome!

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
shopgirl61 said:
My name is Sonia and found out about FL through an Ebay seller.

I wanted to make a quick into as my typing abilty is limited due to physical differance ;) I moved to Western MA last year from Alaska. I am a single mom to 3 ages; 29, 15, 11, my oldest ds lives in CA (where we are all originally from) and my other 2, a ds and dd live here with me.

I LOVE! vintage!, my fav era's are 40s, & 50s and some very early 60s.
I enjoy the simplicity of times gone bye... I was born in '61 a late 'boomer' just like Obama and have many, many, many recollections of those days back when...

I hope to make some friends here both near and far as I really haven't anyone that i'd call more than an aquaintence. I get quite lonely and day-dream of meeting up, dressing up in vintage and having socials :) My true fascination with vintage clothing is that it IS unique as am I... I am an Amputee and get looked at alot. I don't care! I am me and here for a purpose and respect others for who they are and how the dress:)

Sonia

Welcome Sonia,
I'm sure that you will make lots of new friends here. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy