Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

GoldenEraDreame

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

I have totally fallen in love with the 30's-early 50's. I am taken by the styles, music, movies, cars, you name it. I was surfing just for a hairstyle and stumbled across Fedora Lounge. Wow! I love this place. I never knew that so many people shared the same interest for this time frame. You all have me hooked. I was only going to do hair, but now I am ready to go totally vintage. I am such a newbie and have so much to learn. Still haven't decided on which decade to focus my efforts. My style preferences and my oh-so-annoying body type are always at odds. Thanks to you all for the information and encouragement you provide!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a thread...

jessesgirl08 said:
i have been reading and searching all over but cant really find what im looking for. i want a simple list of the basics i need to get started with dressing 40's. i just want a list of the staple items i need and then i can add from there. if you can give me that info or point me in the right direction to get find it i would appreciate it.
thanks i wanna get started asap! im so excited!

Here's the link, I also bumped it for you!
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36604

Neany73

New in Town
Hi!

I'm not new, but I've never been a very active member, more of a lurker really!

I'm just about to give up my full time job as it's taking up too my much my life and taking a couple of months off, so I'm anticipating MUCH more time here and more posting.

So, hello again to everyone, look forward to hopefully getting to know you better!

jsands

New in Town
Yet another new person

Hello,

My name is Jessica, and I am new to the FL. I came across this page after browsing the web for vintage hairstyles (if you all had a dime for this circumstance, right?) and decided to lurk before becoming a member.

Thank you all for the wonderful information and pleasant comraderie. Your attitudes towards each other (and even towards those who do not share your fondness for vintage attire/style) speaks volumes and makes it a choice forum to affiliate with!

I look forward to making myself at home, here.

ReeReeRockette

New in Town
Hiya,

I am a member of a few other forums, and heard about this place, but struggled to find an email address that would be accepted join. I finally have one!!

I dress in a mixture of 40s/50s/rockabilly/modern depending on the mood!

I have started working backstage at burlesque events and am enjoying being surrounded by more glamorous people!

pipvh

Practically Family
Hello all,

I'm another new arrival (Actually I joined a few years ago but churlishly didn't introduce myself). Living in a particularly fashion-challenged corner of the USA, I came to the Lounge in search of info on Irvin jackets and hair pomade and found an unbelievable amount of both. Now back home in England and feeling a bit overwhelmed by what's on offer in my local second-hand shops. My obsessions include period hiking gear; Irvin jackets; mods and rockers; the 1960s; old workwear and army surplus; wool cycling jerseys, cricket jumpers and the clothing of the Raj. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for a tremendous place. Now I shall get back to work (or rather, to trawling the internet for a Barbour Longshoreman smock...).

The Events Section

A Warm Welcome to our members as you step forward and introduce yourself.

I'd like to make a suggestion to you all, be sure to look over the Events section threads. With a little luck, you'll find an event listed that will allow you to get together with your fellow Loungers. If you come across an interesting event in your area that has a vintage theme consider posting it, you may just turn up some local members that would like to come.

One event coming up in May 2010 is our annual get together in Long Beach in Southern California at the floating Hotel- the Queen Mary. This event brings out the locals and we often get a number of people that will travel from across the US and even Europe. (Our good friend and bartender here, Paddy has been fortunate to come to several.) Originally, it was an October event but there were many calling for a change so we switched it to May. We are getting close to nailing down the dates and will work on the content such as side trips and seminars. If you go to the steamer Trunk section you can search for Queen Mary and view some of the various years postings of pictures. If time and budget allows please join us, it's an open event so come for just an hour or come for the whole weekend. We hope to see you there.
;)

ChristineCrush

New in Town
Hiya babes! I am very new to the lounge but I think its absolutely tops. This was a huge discovery for me because im a bit young and my generation prefers clothes that never fit to the adorable 20s-50s style i love. I so look forward to learning more and meeting new people. :)

HannahJane

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies, it's a pleasure to meet you all!
I'm pretty new to vintage but have admired the style ever since I was little and watched old films, hopefully I can pick up a few hints from you all on how to pull it off myself.
HJ

Brian R.

New in Town
Hello all,
I am a high school history teacher that loves his job. I get to talk about history all day long and get paid for it. I must say I am not a vintage type guy, but I do love wearing the fedora. I have a wool felt for the winter and a straw for the summer, and it does get hot down here. I am also one of those fellas that prays for the day that hats will once again be the norm in men's fashion, but I am not holding my breath. Hope to get an avatar up soon, til then, y'all have a good day.
Brian

jemjefferson

New in Town
GoldenEraDreame said:
Hi Everyone,

I have totally fallen in love with the 30's-early 50's. I am taken by the styles, music, movies, cars, you name it. I was surfing just for a hairstyle and stumbled across Fedora Lounge. Wow! I love this place. I never knew that so many people shared the same interest for this time frame. You all have me hooked. I was only going to do hair, but now I am ready to go totally vintage. I am such a newbie and have so much to learn. Still haven't decided on which decade to focus my efforts. My style preferences and my oh-so-annoying body type are always at odds. Thanks to you all for the information and encouragement you provide!

I hope I run into sometime. I never see many vintage dressers around Missouri

TheRealDrew

New in Town
Hey, everyone!

I've often stumbled across this forum during my internet ramblings, and I have finally decided to join and post me in my new fedora (the Poet from HJ) as my avatar :D
I'm a bartender in Paris, France. I work for Marriott, an international hotel company.
i have been wearing fedoras since I fell in love with sinatra's music in 2002, and cannot go a day without them. i have owned about 10, in various forms, colours and quality; my favourite being a rabbit fur felt Borsalino that's rather well-worn...
I also do WW2 US airborne reenactment as I live not far from normandy. That too has been something I have loved over the years...

SarahBeth

New in Town
Hi girls! I'm new here. I've always adored the 40's and 50's. I've just recently gotten into trying to style my hair (victory rolls) and try to dress vintage once & a while with what I find at Goodwill. My collection is very small since I'm just starting out but hopefully someday I'll have a mostly vintage wardrobe. I also have a thing for retro eyeglasses.

BrookOwens

New in Town
Hi

I've been a lurker on here for some time. My name is Brook , I am 24 and I've been in love with 1940's and 50's my whole life. It started all in elementary learning about WWII and has just progressed more and more through out the years. Being a hairdresser I am inspired by vintage hair and wear my Ruby Woo every day. I also make handmade cocktail hats, fascinators and headbands on etsy... I consider myself a domesticated dame! My hobbies are also knitting, cooking, embroidery, and sewing. I have plenty of dress patterns waiting to be sewn up! Hope to share some of them soon!!

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Hi from Seattle

I'm Tenuki, aka Anne, and in some posts here at the lounge, Mrs. Mahagonny. I've done a bit of surfing on the Lounge his account - and possibly stopped in here once on accident under his login...my apologies. That's why I got my own account, so I could go to the Power Room!

My spouse, Mahagonny, found the Lounge and renewed his love of fedoras and managed to pick up a couple of vintage hats for me in the process: the Stetson Whippet you see in my avatar, and a grey Adams porkpies. All our vintage hats were from Johnie Phi.

I have several fiber-based hobbies, I collect and sew for 16" fashion dolls (Gene Marshall, Madra Lord, and Tyler Wentworth...though I really want Ivy Jordan, Violet Waters, and the newest girl, Zita Charles) and am new to collecting bjds.

I fell in love with Gene and friends because I love the movies and fashions of the 30s and 40s. I like the 20s as well, but with the completely wrong build, will enjoy sewing flapper fashion for the dollies.

Favorite movies include the Fred & Gingers, any film noir, The Thin Man movies, and anything with a Chaplin or a Marx brother. Plus, we recently watched all of the Preston Sturges movies and I highly recommend any of them.

My ultimate fashion goal is to have an eclectic, handmade, wardrobe of ethnic and vintage fashions.

And I'm the queen of runonsentences.

Cheers!:p

BoPeep

Practically Family
Retro Housewife from WI

Hi Everyone!

I've always been a history buff. My first job was clerking for an auction gallery. Then my husband got me into the hotrod scene and car culture. "Dressing up" for the car shows was a blast! So why can't I do this every day? Glad to see (from several posts) that I'm not the only one aspiring to have a totally vintage wardrobe! I've been dressmaking for years and usually gravitate towards the late '40s. This extends to my house - almost all 40s furniture including stove and fridge - and my hobbies - sewing, canning, raising chickens and making do. And, yes, I have sheep and spin.

Burton

One of the Regulars
Hello folks, found the lounge while seeking some safari hat information. Have a home in coastal Texas that houses my ethnic arts and exploration related collection but have never really lived in it as I work in other parts of the world. I am interested in classical exploration and thus my wardrobe matches that. From what I am gathering this forum has multitudes of interesting passionate people who have not forgotten the great things of the past. Looking forward to meeting some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot