Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

I'd like to say that this forum is a great place to share information and get some real insights on what ever your focus is in the vintage area. However, for me the greatest delight was to actually get to meet with some of the fine like minded individuals at a local event or two. Moving from the web realm to the real world has made it a wonderful connection with others.

For those fortunate enough to live near enough to events or can make a special visit gets a real treat to meet up.

Here in the LA / Southern California area we have a variety of yearly events and good venues to make it nearly vintage heaven. Other areas are also blessed with a lot going on. Sometimes it takes a little bit of scratching around and old fashioned investigating to find something local whether starting with scoping out a vintage car meet, hanger / swing dance, WWII re-enactors, historical societies or vintage movie showings but you can probably find something regional to go to and that lead wil lead to other leads.

FOr myself after meeting up with some of the locals out here I threw a BBQ and had a swell time, I have had about 4 or 5 since then. It brings people over for a relaxed toe dipping event where people talk and eat so they get to know each other. Stuff like that makes going to other events even better cause you now know somebody there. It grows like a snowball rolling down hill.

For the most part it's about having fun, and not worrying about too much, you're really among friends you just haven't met yet.

amaranta

New in Town
Hi Ladies!
I've been peeking for a while and finally signed up!
Thanks to all for sharing the knowledge and for being so beautiful in your own unique way!
I've been fascinated with pretty things for as far as I can remember, and it just so happens that those things are more often from the past than not.
Same thing with music IMO.

I'm excited to join you!

my avatar is my grandma in the 40s ans she's still alive and kickin'!

LollyWillowes

New in Town
Hello
I just joined the other day, found out about this while looking for something else and thought it looked fun.
What lovely photos ladies, you look very glamorous.
I am obsessed with vintage clothes and old things in general! I like to take a trawl through the decades, stopping as and when, depending on my mood.

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Hi all!

Hey, just found this thread tonight; I'm still trying to find my way around here. So I'll bore everyone with a quick introduction:

I'm Michael (still called Mikey usually) and I live in South Carolina with my wife of almost 25 years. I work in the nuclear industry right now, after a bazillion years in the semiconductor field. I just started playing bass in a band again after giving it up in the 80s and burning all my spandex. I've noticed my new attraction to hats is following the same pattern when I first got interested in "wet" shaving. I'm still trying to figure out how I ended up with a shelf full of safety razors, but whatever. I've now got the hat/Fedora bug and have been looking at upgrading my wardrobe a bit. I can't say I'm ready to do the full vintage bit with clothes and everything, but I certainly enjoy the look, and I hope to incorporate some vintage "things" into my new look that I'm trying to cultivate.

It's great to be here, and it's nice to meet everyone!

Harpy

New in Town
Hi! I seem to have missed this thread before, and I introduced myself over in one of the ladies' threads... but I might as well give a brief intro here too!

I'm a vintage afficionado from Canberra, Australia. I admire the aesthetics of many past eras, but my favourites are Gothic Revival, Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts, some art deco (I tend to prefer the machine age/streamline end of things), and mid-century modern, especially the "atomic" look. Currently re-decorating our flat slowly in what you might call the Australian version of "mid century modest" - a bit of everything from 1940s up to about 1960. Taking inspiration from old House & Garden and Home Beautiful magazines when they feature the "average" home, with the Danish style sideboards and chests of drawers topped with Raynham and Diana pottery with splay-leg tables and chairs a la Fler and Snelling, with a touch of atomic-y Meadmore - and so on! I love to hunt out vintage bargains from op shops.

Reading all the past threads here is now taking up a lot of my free time, heh. :)

Bright Eyes

New in Town
Hello ladies!

Hello ladies!

I've been a lurker for a while now and finally decided to say hello. I have learned so much from all of you! You have inspired me to change my style and wear what I have always wanted but haven't had the courage to do until now.

I just recently started the process of switching my wardrobe from modern to vintage or vintage inspired. My favorite decades are the 30s and 40s. Because of the difficulty in finding vintage clothes in my size I've taken on the challenge of sewing. I'm currently trying to sew my first dress. So frustrating! This is how I feel right now :rage: ! lol

I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning more about my favorite decades.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Hi all! I stumbled across this board while trying to find the perfect shade of red lipstick, of all things! I've been reading devotedly ever since and finally joined. You're all so kind and supportive of each other, it's really inspiring. And you're inspiring me to start working more vintage into my life! I started collecting antique clothing when I was 12, and now my collection spans from the 1840s up to my grandmother's wedding dress and bits of her trousseau from 1948. I've always liked "The Golden Era," for purely selfish reasons - my body type is far more suited to the fashions of decades gone by than today's clothes. But I work in a job where practical clothes frequently get destroyed, and I don't have the slightest idea where to begin! Suggestions are welcome, and I'm sure I'll find more ideas on the board. Thank you!

PrettyPaula

New in Town
Well i guess id better introduce myself....

My name is Paula, im 25 years young and i definately wasn't meant for this time!
I'm really into anything WW2, 40s and 50s, my grandmother was a bit of a WW2 heartbreaker, she still has silk stockings sealed in a box from US Officers who tried to steal her away from my Grandfather!

I love vintage fashion, make up, hair and simply the graceful poise women had in those days.

I'm also really into travel, and at college i majored in History. :D

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Hello! I said a brief howdy-do on one of the ladies threads, but it occurred to me that I should like to be acquainted with the other 50% as well. I've been lurking for a bit now, and finally joined, mostly because I was less and less able to keep my mouth shut on some of these fascinating threads. One of the things I admire so much about this board is that there are so many members of both genders, and you're all very supportive and welcoming of each other.

I've been collecting antique and vintage clothes for 15 years now, though my collection is skewed toward pre-1900 fashions, those can't really be daily parts of my life. I've always been fascinated with history, and you all are inspiring me to bring a bit of it into my every day. I haven't sewn much from the Golden Era yet, but it's on my to-do list, and I can't wait to get started. Thanks for all the inspiration, and if there's anyone in the Tampa Bay area with suggestions on things to do, or who would like to create things to do, please feel free to contact me! I'm always up for making new friends :)

appy

Familiar Face
Hi, my name is April and I found this place a couple years ago. I only just now got an account here, though. lol

Aside from wishing I were back in time, my hobbies include singing (I'm quite good, actually), writing and genealogy. I love animals and live with a pack of lazy, spoiled dogs. My fiancé and I love classic films and want to decorate our home in an art deco/golden age of film style after we get married and get our own place.

My favourite eras are the 1930's and 1940's, but I'm fond of anything from Victorian-1960's (and medieval and renaissance, too, if you cared to know). I grew up watching lots of old movies on network tv because we didn't have cable until I was in middle school and high school. The vintage beauty and style always fascinated me, and I was bound and determined to duplicate it! Alas, I am good with the makeup part and not so good with the hair part... and I'm too chubby and too broke for the vintage clothes, I'm afraid. lol

Well, I guess that's about it. I'm happy to meet you all. Christ's Love and Blessings to each of you! :D

appy

Familiar Face
My name is April and I've recently taken to living here. lol Hi, folks! I love vintage and classic EVERYTHING, with a particular fondness for the 1930's and 1940's. My grandmother says I was born in the wrong time, but I suppose many here have also been told that. :D

I grew up watching old movies and listening to old music. I love it all and want to re-create it for myself whenever possible. It's like comfort food for me, in a way.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Hi, i'm Wolfe and i don't own enough vintage clothes or wear them enough. My dad is fond of telling me and my sister about how, when we were little, we would take Charlie Chaplin over looney toons any day. I still feel that to be true (especially with these modern cartoons) and can't think of anything else to say.

Octavia

Familiar Face
Hello everyone! My name is Melissa and I’m 19. Been meaning to post for awhile but I’ve been nervous about just jumping in, so I thought a formal hello might help me get my feet wet.

I stumbled across this board by accident while on a search for pictures of vintage manicures and – wow! This is the place to be. You ladies have really inspired me to give my wardrobe a good makeover. I’m pretty new to vintage fashions. I’ve been interested in anything 1800’s-1950’s for as long as I can remember (I’ve always had a feeling I was not meant for this era) but I’ve only become enamored by the 40’s in particular very recently. I draw portraits as a hobby and awhile ago I decided on a whim to do a series of pencil portraits of Golden Era Hollywood actors and I suppose that’s what triggered the sudden interest – or perhaps just woken it. Ever since then I’ve been inspired learn more about the time and the “look” and I’m just smitten with it all. I’ve never known anyone who has shared this interest, so it’s wonderful to find a huge group of like-minded people.

I look forward to hopefully posting more and becoming involved!

appy

Familiar Face
Octavia said:
Hello everyone! My name is Melissa and I’m 19. Been meaning to post for awhile but I’ve been nervous about just jumping in, so I thought a formal hello might help me get my feet wet.

I stumbled across this board by accident while on a search for pictures of vintage manicures and – wow! This is the place to be. You ladies have really inspired me to give my wardrobe a good makeover. I’m pretty new to vintage fashions. I’ve been interested in anything 1800’s-1950’s for as long as I can remember (I’ve always had a feeling I was not meant for this era) but I’ve only become enamored by the 40’s in particular very recently. I draw portraits as a hobby and awhile ago I decided on a whim to do a series of pencil portraits of Golden Era Hollywood actors and I suppose that’s what triggered the sudden interest – or perhaps just woken it. Ever since then I’ve been inspired learn more about the time and the “look” and I’m just smitten with it all. I’ve never known anyone who has shared this interest, so it’s wonderful to find a huge group of like-minded people.

I look forward to hopefully posting more and becoming involved!

Welcome! :D I found this place a couple years ago whilst searching for info. on authentic red lipsticks... Just like you, I love all sorts of vintage, even as far back as medieval/renaissance lol but I'm mostly interested in 1930's-1940's, personally. Nice to meet you (lucky you, btw, getting to live in New England! I hope to at least visit there some day.) :)

Octavia

Familiar Face
Thank you! Very nice to meet you too. I actually find some of the medieval/renaissance stuff beautiful myself. And I live in Salem, right on the coast - it's definitely a nice place. Beautiful houses, as you can imagine, but a bit crowded. =P Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!

Gro

New in Town
Good evening ladies and gentlemen;

My name is Marie Gro, I am 24 and currently live in Copenhagen, Denmark. I studied textile hadcrafts before and have been making costumes for some years now, but only recently from movies and western comics. I am a proud member of the Danish movie heroes club www.filmhelte.dk where we enjoy to dress up as Indiana Jones, Star wars, James Bod an various others. I guess gathering knowledge of the look and feel of the golden ages are one of the main reason for me to join you.

I found out about the Fedora lounge when searching for evening dresses of the 30'- 40's, and I am quite a fan of the movie stars such as Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe...and Charlie Chaplin on top of that :p

I am not a very good collector, although I love old vintage stuff of all genres; clothes, hats, shoes, mecanical things, cars and motorbikes, aircrafts, music, interior and so on. I like to study the use of language, and read a lot older -late 19'th century litterature such as Sherlock Holmes and Jules Vernes' books. I am especially fascinated by adventurer and explorers and in general the 'gentleman' with a nice hat and a neat beard. Yes, beards and moustaches are really fascinating.

I think it would be lovely if people would dress more like in the 20'-30'-40' and even 50's, and also minded their language and manners, but it is not like I would wish to live in another era. It is extraordinary interesting to study and maybe re-create some culture, but I always wonder if the people who lived in it also thought it was so fantastic.

Anyway, it is classic glamour, sailor suits and jazz-hands and nothing can take the fun of that. I look forward to my stay here, and who knows, I might turn into living the life :3

Best regards
-Marie Gro

Salsanadia

New in Town
Hello all!!

My name is Nadia from Amsterdam (Holland) and I am new to the Fedora Lounge
A friend recommended this place So I came to look here.

I love vintage clothing but also the victorian era (especially the music and the dresses).

I am dancing Lindy hop or other dances(salsa) in the weekends and I love to wear clothes that fit in this style.

Greetings :)

rippy444

Familiar Face
Stepping forward

Thanks for the welcome aboard. I've been a member for two months, but never looked for this thread. Not to kick a dead horse, but i am recovering.from a bad motorcycle car accident from last May 9, 2009. OUCH is right.Not my fault, but I got the beating. I am a retired master plumber from Laconia, NH.I have a lovely wife of 43 years and four children all out of the house but within 15 miniutes so they are here all the time. I have one daughter and three sons. Five grand sons and one grand daughter. I have no money left either.I served during the Viet Nam War but did not have to go over. Many did and did not return. God Bless Them All. Sally, my wife suggested that I get a hobby, well buying hats and clothes sounded good to me. I ran across the Lounge when searching for fedora hats. So here I am. I love this site. It is like the times of past when everyone said good morning and excuse me. I haven,t conversed with a person yet that wasn't polite and helpful if need be.There is a lot to learn and give. I have made a few blunders but appoligized. Keep in touch. I am retired will try to be helpful. My biggest thing is to communicate with you folks and be willing to accept a no thanks if need be. I want to learn and be helpful. Remember, I was a plumbing and heating expert in my days. Ask me for help if need. Do you still burn coal and wood ? Joke [huh] :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:RIP

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rippy444 said:
... Do you still burn coal and wood ? Joke [huh] :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:RIP

Welcome to the Lounge.

Yes, I do still burn coal and wood. The coal pile is about gone (we use it sparingly now), but we keep a wood fire going all winter.

I wish there were a place to still get coal around here. I remember when there were two coal yards here, and every little feed store had a coal supply to sell as well. But those days are gone. I do enjoy the warmth of a good coal fire on a chilly night. And the smell of coal smoke hanging in the damp air of winter. My oh my, what good memories those are.

rippy444

Familiar Face
Coal and wood

I can remember when coal was $19.00 a ton and the trains were as far as you could see full. All gone. I do have a Natural gas fireplace. Just not the same. I burnt wood untill I had a nasty chimney fire and we tore the chimney down.
Gas boiler, hot water heating is all we have left. We still have a wood burning fire pit for the nites outside. Good for a cigar and beverage. Or no cigar and a beverage. Thanks

:p :p :p lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner