Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member to FL ... hi all! + Vanson House Jacket (Model B)

Navin323i

Practically Family
G'c said:
That's a great reason for you to wear your Aero NYPD jacket ... and it certainly looks badass! But what the heck, why do we have to explain our "reasons" to wear leathers to begin with? Can't we just say that leather jackets look cool, and as well being functional at the same time? For me, even for daily wear, it's very versatile as it keeps me darn warm without me worrying too much about this jacket being caught in the rain, while if I am wearing an armani with the same design but made out of more buttery skins, I would be worried to hell if it's wet. This jacket just ages and looks better if it's get beaten up, worn, and distressed :)

Thank you so much for the kind words... my apologies... i should have posted a couple of better pictures of my jacket since my Avatar picture is rather small so you can't see the fine details of the jacket. I'll post the pictures below, but before I do I'd like to say that I agree with you 100%... you shouldn't have to explain your reasoning for why you chose to mod your jacket the way you did. For me though I enjoy spreading the word about my reasoning for my Aero jacket... this Aero jacket style is definitely more unique in that my jacket was the 3rd jacket they've made in this style for over 10 years, plus my "jacket story" with my grandfather is a bit unique too. ;)

On my way to a car show (I compete on the show car circuit with a heavily modified BMW) months back my rear tire exploded while I was on a busy highway but fortunately I was able to maintain control of my car and pull over safely to the side of the road. The first thing I did after pulling over was to wear my Aero leather jacket... it's hard to explain but wearing my Aero jacket made me feel like my grandfather was by my side and keeping me safe from harm.

Here's a couple of better pictures of my jacket for you to see...

You definitely have to appreciate the rigidity of horsehide and how the jacket can stand up on it's own, LOL.
NavinAeroPolice8.jpg

Navin-AeroNYPD.jpg

G'c

Familiar Face
Navin323i said:
Thank you so much for the kind words... my apologies... i should have posted a couple of better pictures of my jacket since my Avatar picture is rather small so you can't see the fine details of the jacket. I'll post the pictures below, but before I do I'd like to say that I agree with you 100%... you shouldn't have to explain your reasoning for why you chose to mod your jacket the way you did. For me though I enjoy spreading the word about my reasoning for my Aero jacket... this Aero jacket style is definitely more unique in that my jacket was the 3rd jacket they've made in this style for over 10 years, plus my "jacket story" with my grandfather is a bit unique too. ;)

On my way to a car show (I compete on the show car circuit with a heavily modified BMW) months back my rear tire exploded while I was on a busy highway but fortunately I was able to maintain control of my car and pull over safely to the side of the road. The first thing I did after pulling over was to wear my Aero leather jacket... it's hard to explain but wearing my Aero jacket made me feel like my grandfather was by my side and keeping me safe from harm.

Here's a couple of better pictures of my jacket for you to see...

You definitely have to appreciate the rigidity of horsehide and how the jacket can stand up on it's own, LOL.
NavinAeroPolice8.jpg

Navin-AeroNYPD.jpg

QUALITY Horsehide!! And also amazing story about your grandfather... I am sure he will always be by your side :)

Can't wait for it to get bloody beaten up and distressed to show the amazing patina underneath !! :eusa_clap

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Vanson House jacket is great, except for the House bits. The stripes and the patches on teh TV show do not work for me at all, but the B model is a damn nice cafe racer. An impressive build and leather.

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi G'c and welcome on the Fedora Lounge, glad to have you here.
Great jacket you have! I think that how you treat and shape your jacket is totally up to you and shaping it is nothing wrong with it. IMHO it is just "customizing" your jacket. Enjoy your jacket and wear it in good health.
And...please post some pics after a while ;) .
Cheers,
Andy

G'c

Familiar Face
Thanks Seb and Andy for the input... here are more pics after I distressed it abit more with sandpaper... oh. and by abit more I meant I sand it down bit by bit one at a time.... everytime I look at it I felt it should be distressed more.... so here's the result thus far, hope u notice the difference :D

SAM_0755.jpg

SAM_0756.jpg

The hardware I distressed a lil as well:
SAM_0759.jpg

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge. I gotta say, I don't know why anyone would do that to a fine Vanson motorcycle jacket. But I guess thats just me, I'm sixty two years old, when I started riding back in the mid sixtys, we would have given anything to have a new jacket like that, when we were able to obtain a decent cycle jacket we treated it the best we could, sure, it eventually got some scars from use but we tried our best to keep it looking sharp. Times have changed, but not me I guess. I mean no offense by my words, it is your jacket to do with as you please but I honestly don't get it.
Pushrod

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
OK, I've tried to resist, but now I just have to throw in my completely irrelevant opinion. This is not at all intended as an insult... just an honest statement of how I see it. I already know that plenty of people here disagree, and that's fair enough.

As I see it, the problem isn't that you wear a biker jacket and don't ride a bike. Nor is it problem that you like a certain look... The problem is that you've cheated the jacket out of any chance of eventually becoming what you are trying to turn it into immediately. Given time, the jacket would have become a reflection of your experiences, regardless of whether those experiences were on a bike, on a skateboard, or just cruising around town in a Volvo. Of course, it will accumulate marks of your experiences anyway, but now you will never be able to separate them from all the fiction you added for the sake of instant gratification. To paraphrase Coco Chanel, fashion is fleeting, but style is eternal. What could have been a jacket with great style is now just empty fashion, with no chance of redemption. If all you want is fashion, good for you, you have what you want and I hope you enjoy it. But it seems a shame to me... you're cheating yourself and the jacket out of so much more.

The good news is, it's not too late for you to get another jacket, and allow
that jacket to tell your real story. Something you can show to your grandchildren and tell stories about this old scrape and that faded stain. Fabrics wear out, leather wears in... and it's the experience of the wearer that gives each leather jacket a unique quality called "character". You can't counterfeit that, so why would you want to hide it among all that fake wear? You don't even need patience... patience is for people who are waiting for something to happen, instead of making it happen. Your jacket will age at the speed of life, so accelerate life, not just the wrinkles of age.

There, now that I got that off my chest, I hope I didn't offend too many people... and if I did, I gotta wonder why it was offensive. [huh]

G'c

Familiar Face
TheSnark said:
OK, I've tried to resist, but now I just have to throw in my completely irrelevant opinion. This is not at all intended as an insult... just an honest statement of how I see it. I already know that plenty of people here disagree, and that's fair enough.

As I see it, the problem isn't that you wear a biker jacket and don't ride a bike. Nor is it problem that you like a certain look... The problem is that you've cheated the jacket out of any chance of eventually becoming what you are trying to turn it into immediately. Given time, the jacket would have become a reflection of your experiences, regardless of whether those experiences were on a bike, on a skateboard, or just cruising around town in a Volvo. Of course, it will accumulate marks of your experiences anyway, but now you will never be able to separate them from all the fiction you added for the sake of instant gratification. To paraphrase Coco Chanel, fashion is fleeting, but style is eternal. What could have been a jacket with great style is now just empty fashion, with no chance of redemption. If all you want is fashion, good for you, you have what you want and I hope you enjoy it. But it seems a shame to me... you're cheating yourself and the jacket out of so much more.

that jacket to tell your real story. Something you can show to your grandchildren and tell stories about this old scrape and that faded stain. Fabrics wear out, leather wears in... and it's the experience of the wearer that gives each leather jacket a unique quality called "character". You can't counterfeit that, so why would you want to hide it among all that fake wear? You don't even need patience... patience is for people who are waiting for something to happen, instead of making it happen. Your jacket will age at the speed of life, so accelerate life, not just the wrinkles of age.

There, now that I got that off my chest, I hope I didn't offend too many people... and if I did, I gotta wonder why it was offensive. [huh]

No offense at all TheSnark! It's great to hear different opinions, even if you don't agree with me as long as you have great reasoning, which you have!

Yes don't worry I already have many jackets that I won't do ANYTHING to them and let them age slowly, somehow my hands just got itchy and wanted to try to distress the jacket. Why you may ask? It is because as like many ppl, I just want to experience HOW to artificially distress a jacket as well as the reasons mentioned before :) I think you did put me in good stead about the "losing patience" point, I still need alot to learn I guess ;) But in any sense, I also wear this jacket alot before I do the current distressing, it was an interesting jacket to try out since Vanson has such strong leathers, which is a great one to experiment on (instead of some expensive but weaker skins)

And sorry but I don't see it as "empty fashion", this jacket has been with me everyday in the winter... and I love it the more everyday....but i guess it's again a subjective thing... on what to do with our own jackets, so no, please do not resist to comment more, as the reason that I joined this forum is to learn more about leather jackets in general anyways, not to mention listening to more ppl's opinions (good or bad).

G'c

Familiar Face
Pushrod said:
Welcome to the Lounge. I gotta say, I don't know why anyone would do that to a fine Vanson motorcycle jacket. But I guess thats just me, I'm sixty two years old, when I started riding back in the mid sixtys, we would have given anything to have a new jacket like that, when we were able to obtain a decent cycle jacket we treated it the best we could, sure, it eventually got some scars from use but we tried our best to keep it looking sharp. Times have changed, but not me I guess. I mean no offense by my words, it is your jacket to do with as you please but I honestly don't get it.
Pushrod

Yes it's just my weird behaviour .... and forced to share it with you guys .. sorry about that and I shall show my other jackets next time :) I am currently in my mid twenties and is relatively new to leathers compared to many ppl on this forum. I just love the experiment with things I guess ... so nothing wrong with you thinking that I have a different thinking ;)

One of the Regulars
G'c said:
HAHAHA yes you might say that if you really want to .. can't control what you think :)

Well from my perspective I just wanted a leather jacket that will last ages, and looks good, so what's wrong with buying this jacket which looks great off the street and built like a tank? Furthermore, the so called FASHION leather jackets are mostly based on the older designs of motorcycle jackets, so basically most ppl who buy leather jackets must be posers....

Also maybe ppl who buy A-2 jackets must be pilots? Mmmm I don't know just my 2 cents.

Hello again Sir;
The term "poser" can have few different interpretations, I did not used offensively against you, so there is no need to try to justify yourself what you do to an MC jacket to be up to your standards, or even suggest that A2 owners ( including myself) has to be pilots to justify the purchase of an A2 jacket.
Simple an MC jacket it's in his natural environment in a motorcycle. that was the intention and meaning of my post, in your case if you like to take a shower with your jacket on, to age the jacket quicker it's totally up to you.;)

G'c

Familiar Face
1087 said:
Hello again Sir;
The term "poser" can have few different interpretations, I did not used offensively against you, so there is no need to try to justify yourself what you do to an MC jacket to be up to your standards, or even suggest that A2 owners ( including myself) has to be pilots to justify the purchase of an A2 jacket.
Simple an MC jacket it's in his natural environment in a motorcycle. that was the intention and meaning of my post, in your case if you like to take a shower with your jacket on, to age the jacket quicker it's totally up to you.;)

Hi 1087, of course poser can have a few interpretations, but it's most commonly associated negatively in the modern world rather than not. However, in any case, I just wanted to explain more why I did it, a little explaining won't hurt, whatever your intentions are, don't you think? Of course it's totally up to me what I do to that jacket, so thanks again for the advice! ;)

One of the Regulars
G'c said:
Hi 1087, of course poser can have a few interpretations, but it's most commonly associated negatively in the modern world rather than not. However, in any case, I just wanted to explain more why I did it, a little explaining won't hurt, whatever your intentions are, don't you think? Of course it's totally up to me what I do to that jacket, so thanks again for the advice! ;)

10-4!
Thanks for enlighten me!
Please post few more pics, I like to learn from you!:eusa_clap

I am currently in my mid twenties and is relatively new to leathers compared to many ppl on this forum.>>>

G'c

Familiar Face
1087 said:
10-4!
Thanks for enlighten me!
Please post few more pics, I like to learn from you!:eusa_clap

I am currently in my mid twenties and is relatively new to leathers compared to many ppl on this forum.>>>

huh? 10-4?! Can you please clarify the post a bit pls. thanks!

Peacoat

Bartender
10-4

I could be wrong (and probably am) but I associate 10-4 with the police 10 series of shorthand communication. To me, the word "Roger" is military speak for "OK." Or maybe it was because in the military I was a pilot, and we never used 10-4, only Roger. Maybe the guys on the ground used 10-4, but I don't remember hearing it. But that was all a long time ago. Or things may have changed since I was wore a flight suit. Perhaps someone with more recent service can shed some light on it. This thread is pretty much dead anyway. Thanks to Injun Jack for derailing it!

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
I could be wrong (and probably am) but I associate 10-4 with the police 10 series of shorthand communication. To me, the word "Roger" is military speak for "OK." Or maybe it was because in the military I was a pilot, and we never used 10-4, only Roger. Maybe the guys on the ground used 10-4, but I don't remember hearing it. But that was all a long time ago. Or things may have changed since I was wore a flight suit. Perhaps someone with more recent service can shed some light on it. This thread is pretty much dead anyway. Thanks to Injun Jack for derailing it!

Actually, you're right and I'm wrong.
I somehow got mixed up, even I have used military english as well wihile on duty in the middle east... that was 2 decades ago.
Here's some explanation on 10 codes, and there is a link also to list of codes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-code

jchosko

Familiar Face
G'c,

That Vanson is looking great. While I personally would not have taken sandpaper to it...and was a little nervous about how it would look before I saw the results, I think you did a good job. It's definitely not looking like a "new" jacket anymore. Wear it in good health!

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
TheSnark said:

Very well said. You might want to post that on the COW forum.. those guys go through sand paper like it's going out of business! Really though, well said my man.

Tommer

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Tommer. I don't know what the COW forum is, and if your statement was meant seriously, I'm sure I don't want to know. (Errrr, despite impressions I may have made in other threads, I really don't go looking for fights or opportunities to insult people... I just have opinions and absolutely zero skill for diplomacy).

Still, it does seem sad to me when people use sandpaper and shoe polish as a substitute for real life. Even a second-hand jacket that shows wear from someone else's life is still telling a real story. That real story is probably the main reason we want jackets tough enough to out-live us and become a heirloom... and why an heirloom jacket is worth having. Many years ago, I used to wear a synthetic riding jacket and thought spending so much extra for leather was a waste. That jacket saw an impressive number of miles in all sorts of weather, and joked to a friend one day about "if this jacket could talk...". That's when he pointed out that leather jackets DO talk. A few days later, I started shopping for my first leather riding jacket, lol.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Oh ya...youre a total poser...cause, you know...all the people who own flight jackets on the forum are pilots. And no one orders their jackets distressed, or does silly things like wear them in the shower, or sleep with them under the mattress or rub crap all over them to make them look worn. Nope not a soul does that around here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo