Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I recommend staying away from those wool or cloth hats and get yourself a furfelt

do a few days of research before you waste money on something you will eventually wish you didn't buy

my .02

A fur felt may cost a little more at first but be a better value in the long run. Also, Homburgs aren't just for dress. As Bob stated above, many of our members wear their Hommies with casual dress - including me, occasionally.

Take Moon's advice. Poke around some of the threads here. Look at what people wear day-to-day in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread for a week or so. You'll see we like to mix it up a bit and have fun.

You should have fun, too. Relax and don't box yourself in. Hats are cool.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

germanshepherd72

New in Town
Against advice, but I ordered a Brixton Gain stingy brim in both tan and black to start. Got almost half off msrp and guaranteed delivery by Christmas. We are a bit iced in and I am dying to wear it at Christmas. My little brother will tease me mercilessly, but I'm going to start not giving a flying F..k with him and just own it. I'll do meticulous research and drop serious money on something better after the holidays. For a little less than eighty bucks, it's a good starting point. Thanks again, and I'll be back. Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday to all.

Sent from my E5506 using Tapatalk

germanshepherd72

New in Town
Crap. I'm going to start out by putting my hands on hats, not hate. You probably knew what I meant.
Nice way to start out as a NOOB, lol.

Against advice, but I ordered a Brixton Gain stingy brim in both tan and black to start. Got almost half off msrp and guaranteed delivery by Christmas. We are a bit iced in and I am dying to wear it at Christmas. My little brother will tease me mercilessly, but I'm going to start not giving a flying F..k with him and just own it. I'll do meticulous research and drop serious money on something better after the holidays. For a little less than eighty bucks, it's a good starting point. Thanks again, and I'll be back. Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday to all.

Like this? We still want pix and head shots when you get your hats. We're here to support you, but the tastes on the lounge admittedly run to taller crowns and bigger brims, this being a site where the "Golden Era" is looked on fondly. We think everybody looks better in those styles :D. However, the stingy brim look is a popular look, especially among the younger set, these days.

BTW - where are you located? Are you near somewhere you may be able to try on some hats to get a better idea on look, style, etc? Plus, a good hatter will assist you in picking something that complements your face shape and the like.

Either way, good luck and enjoy yourself. We hope to see you back here often. Merry Christmas!

Like this? We still want pix and head shots when you get your hats. We're here to support you, but the tastes on the lounge admittedly run to taller crowns and bigger brims, this being a site where the "Golden Era" is looked on fondly. We think everybody looks better in those styles :D. However, the stingy brim look is a popular look, especially among the younger set, these days.

BTW - where are you located? Are you near somewhere you may be able to try on some hats to get a better idea on look, style, etc? Plus, a good hatter will assist you in picking something that complements your face shape and the like.

Either way, good luck and enjoy yourself. We hope to see you back here often. Merry Christmas!
+1 with pics or it didn't happen! Welcome!

Edora37

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I am really enjoying the content so far. Glad I joined! I'm also new to wearing hats. I have this stetson but I am not sure if it fits me or not. Does the hat in this photo suit me?? My face shape etc?

Attachments

• 20161220_133902.jpg
    20161220_133902.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 534

Bigger Don

Practically Family
It's not bad for your first hat. What I would do is get more rounder glasses.
Now the argument starts!

I think the horizontal line of his glasses, the line of his eyebrows, and the line of the brim establish a base for two mirror quadrilaterals, with the small sides set by his chin line and the pinch.
20161220_133902-jpg.63437

OTOH, if you've got some round glasses to sell him, I'll heshep. :)

Ken David

One of the Regulars
I have been enjoying the fedoralounge forum for a while and appreciate the diverse knowledge base, opinions, expertise etc. (thank you all). The forum and it’s contributors definitely have inspired me and recently helped me purchase some “vintage inspired” clothing in the last several weeks including a dark brown lambskin leather jacket and a pair of wool fedora style hats. I’ve ditched the baseball cap and been wearing these new hats to work (professional job). I know that the hats I have recently acquired (dorman pacific Scala made in USA new old stock hats in black and loden nowhere compare to the real fur felt fedora hats). However I feel that in the few short weeks of wearing them on a daily basis I need more! I am now looking to purchase my first fur felt fedora. I have hesitated posting on this forum (even though I have registered a little while ago) just because if I spend the time searching the forum no doubt my answer has been answered and want to be respectful of the forum. Anyway I think I am ready to ask my first question. My ideal fedora would be 100% Fur Felt, Mid size brim, Straight crown on the taller side and Tan/light brown color range (may consider brown color something that would go well with my brown leather jacket) in size 7 ¼ (58). I have been considering an Akubra Federation IV in tawny fawn or a IV deluxe in heritage fawn but wanted to ask if anybody had any other suggestions of other hats to look at. I have been searching ebay daily for weeks and nothing as of yet has really caught my attention, was hoping to find a nice pre-owned lid or possibly vintage. Thanks in advance.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're just getting started, I'd avoid ebay because intelligently purchasing anything on there requires some knowledge that you might not have yet, and there are lots of people, sad to say, that will take advantage of your ignorance. I don't think you can go wrong with a Fed IV as a starter (or as anything else): it's well-made, stylish, and reasonably priced, and it's not a hat that you're going to get embarrassed by in the future, like a few of my early choices do for me.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
If you're just getting started, I'd avoid ebay because intelligently purchasing anything on there requires some knowledge that you might not have yet, and there are lots of people, sad to say, that will take advantage of your ignorance. I don't think you can go wrong with a Fed IV as a starter (or as anything else): it's well-made, stylish, and reasonably priced, and it's not a hat that you're going to get embarrassed by in the future, like a few of my early choices do for me.

Thanks for the advice! I have read some of the horror stories regarding ebay on this forum especially for used hats. My wool hats I bought new on ebay with a positive experience from an older gentleman who closed down his hat store in Colorado after 25 years due to health reasons. Nice guy, but those hats were of a different "league". thanks again

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
We're not all bad on eBay so let's not be too harsh.
There are a lot of buyers that seem to take some comfort from purchasing off the site.
I send a card with every item I sell in the hope that return buyers will go to my website where we all save some money.
Oddly, the majority of my repeat customer purchase again from eBay.
Go figure!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We're not all bad on eBay so let's not be too harsh.
There are a lot of buyers that seem to take some comfort from purchasing off the site.
I send a card with every item I sell in the hope that return buyers will go to my website where we all save some money.
Oddly, the majority of my repeat customer purchase again from eBay.
Go figure!
You're absolutely right, and I apologize for forgetting to give a nod to the honest dealers. I just thought the OP would benefit by giving it a little time, until he could sort out the good from the bad a bit. Cheers.

You just have to go in with your eyes open. My first several hat purchases on eBay were hit and miss. I wasn't ripped off, but I made some less than judicious choices. You learn.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points