Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cam T.

New in Town
Hi from Iowa. Recently, picked up at an estate sale an opera/gibus hat and a bowler ($50). I'm slowly building on a white tie evening tailcoat I picked up a year ago from a bin of halloween costumes at an estate sale ($5.00), which is a good fit on my daughter who loves to wear it. The opera hat fills in a big piece of the puzzle. I've got a couple questions that I will post along with pictures in the question forum. Looks like a great community for building this type of ensemble.

Stratowhiner

New in Town
Hey there. I'm new to premium hats. I've been a huge collector of ballcaps of various teams but I think it's time to grow up. I enjoy fedoras like Stetson Stratoliners (obviously) and their Open Road. I'm really looking forward to learning about other brands who have hats like a Strat that have versatile brims and color combinations!

Snowman

Practically Family
Hey there. I'm new to premium hats. I've been a huge collector of ballcaps of various teams but I think it's time to grow up. I enjoy fedoras like Stetson Stratoliners (obviously) and their Open Road. I'm really looking forward to learning about other brands who have hats like a Strat that have versatile brims and color combinations!
Welcome. You came to the right place. If it’s thin ribbons you like, there are several threads here dedicated to Open Roads, Strats, and all their similar brethren. Looking forward to seeing yours soon.

Use Google search "fedora lounge" and a topic. It is much more effective than the internal search engine. Enough material in the Lounge to keep you browsing/reading for months.

DrHat

New in Town
Hello everyone, I am a 25yrs old guy that loves hats since I was a kid.
I always loved to ride horses, studied veterinary medicine in Brazil, and now am a med student here in Europe.
I had some cowboy hats when I was younger but, 10 years ago from now, none of them fit anymore, thanks to my girlfriend, I got a new Akubra Camp Draft, and am super excited to find this forum where I am able to interact with some people that share this common interest!

Snowman

Practically Family
Hello. I'm 41, from Michigan, and just bought my first hat. I'm a big watch guy already and probably didn't need another vice, but here I am. Going to post a detailed story and pics in the proper area. Looking forward to sharing and learning from the members here
Welcome. You‘ll find a lot of good information here. It will probably also fuel your new vice.

David Lowe

New in Town
Hi all,

Thanks for letting me join. Hope im posting in the right place. I posted up in the Facebook group last week, regarding my recent acquisition of a Lincoln Bennett trilby, it cost me £22/$28 on ebay. I think looking at it, it's from the mid 1960s, the condition is fantastic. Since then I have also been given a mid 1970s brown Crombie overcoat, it needs a few alterations to fit. I've been lurking the forum for a couple of years, looking for style tips. I turn 40 this year and think it's time I toned down the baseball cap, tee-shirt and jeans look, and take a few tips from some of the older fellers I used to see when I was growing up, they always looked dapper.

Attachments

• 20230506_110445.jpg
    20230506_110445.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Hi all,

Thanks for letting me join. Hope im posting in the right place. I posted up in the Facebook group last week, regarding my recent acquisition of a Lincoln Bennett trilby, it cost me £22/$28 on ebay. I think looking at it, it's from the mid 1960s, the condition is fantastic. Since then I have also been given a mid 1970s brown Crombie overcoat, it needs a few alterations to fit. I've been lurking the forum for a couple of years, looking for style tips. I turn 40 this year and think it's time I toned down the baseball cap, tee-shirt and jeans look, and take a few tips from some of the older fellers I used to see when I was growing up, they always looked dapper.
Welcome to the lounge. You will find a wealth of information and huge breadth of styles/looks from the Lounge members.

KrazmoKramerica

New in Town
Howdy Hi all,

Like many of you, I have been lurking here in the Hats Forum for some time. I have been wearing fedoras for a little over a year now, and have purchased nine in that time. Most were purchased new, and the two that were previously owned are not particularly collectable from what I am seeing here. I have been shaving my head for over 7 years so protection from the sun seemed like a no-brainer. Fedoras seemed more stylish to me than ball caps.

My hats in order of purchase are:
1. Akubra Federation IV Deluxe in Dark Brown (NOT like Indiana Jones)
2. Akubra Campdraft In Bluegrass Green
3. Borsalino Verdi in Dark Gray (not Quality Superiore)I didn't know better
4. Akubra Federation IV Deluxe in Black
5. Stetson Open Road Shantung in Chocolate
6. Akubra Ringer in some kind of tan. This was a used, dirty,crushed, cigarette smokey mess that I cleaned up and ozoned until it didn't stink. Steamed it to open crown and then center crease with front pinch. It's my work in the yard and walk the dogs hat as it has a HUGE 3 3/8" brim.
7. Stetson Premier Stratoliner in Silverbelly
8. Stetson Milan Stratoliner in Cognac
9. Stetson Stetsonian 5x in Black. 2.75" brim Previously owned but in absolutely new condition.

All were open crown except for the Borsalino and the two straws. I have steamed in the creases and the pinches myself. I lean toward center creases and 2-finger frontal pinches.

I've learned a great deal in these forums and hope to learn a great deal more. Thanks for your past and future help!

kraz

Howdy Hi all,

Like many of you, I have been lurking here in the Hats Forum for some time. I have been wearing fedoras for a little over a year now, and have purchased nine in that time. Most were purchased new, and the two that were previously owned are not particularly collectable from what I am seeing here. I have been shaving my head for over 7 years so protection from the sun seemed like a no-brainer. Fedoras seemed more stylish to me than ball caps.

My hats in order of purchase are:
1. Akubra Federation IV Deluxe in Dark Brown (NOT like Indiana Jones)
2. Akubra Campdraft In Bluegrass Green
3. Borsalino Verdi in Dark Gray (not Quality Superiore)I didn't know better
4. Akubra Federation IV Deluxe in Black
5. Stetson Open Road Shantung in Chocolate
6. Akubra Ringer in some kind of tan. This was a used, dirty,crushed, cigarette smokey mess that I cleaned up and ozoned until it didn't stink. Steamed it to open crown and then center crease with front pinch. It's my work in the yard and walk the dogs hat as it has a HUGE 3 3/8" brim.
7. Stetson Premier Stratoliner in Silverbelly
8. Stetson Milan Stratoliner in Cognac
9. Stetson Stetsonian 5x in Black. 2.75" brim Previously owned but in absolutely new condition.

All were open crown except for the Borsalino and the two straws. I have steamed in the creases and the pinches myself. I lean toward center creases and 2-finger frontal pinches.

I've learned a great deal in these forums and hope to learn a great deal more. Thanks for your past and future help!

kraz
Welcome Kraz

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I was active here a number of years ago under a different user name. Been busy with life since then but still collecting new and vintage lids. I know some of you all from FB groups as well.

Here’s a good photo from this winter of my favorite hat, a Northwest Hats pure beaver original. We have been on many adventures together.

Nice to be back in the Lounge.

Attachments

• 6A0EA34C-B0D4-4C7A-8346-48407036B0E2.png
    6A0EA34C-B0D4-4C7A-8346-48407036B0E2.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hard to beat a Northwest hat! Welcome back.

I was active here a number of years ago under a different user name. Been busy with life since then but still collecting new and vintage lids. I know some of you all from FB groups as well.

Here’s a good photo from this winter of my favorite hat, a Northwest Hats pure beaver original. We have been on many adventures together.

20210610_083802.jpg

My only complaint when I first got mine many years ago was that the crown is incredibly stiff but that actually grew on me. It makes for a sturdy traveling companion.

I was surprised at how stiff the whole hat was when I received my first Nortwest fedora. I’ve never grown to care for that in a fedora. I’ve had a few westerns made by him and as I was expecting stiff felt I’ve liked them for what they are. For me, Northwest is a niche hat maker for when I want a stiff/firm felt. He is also tops when it comes to Panama hats, but sadly he doesn’t make them in my size.

IMG_3901.gif

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I was surprised at how stiff the whole hat was when I received my first Nortwest fedora. I’ve never grown to care for that in a fedora. I’ve had a few westerns made by him and as I was expecting stiff felt I’ve liked them for what they are. For me, Northwest is a niche hat maker for when I want a stiff/firm felt. He is also tops when it comes to Panama hats, but sadly he doesn’t make them in my size.
Do you have a particularly large head?

So is Mike still making only firm felt hats? I was thinking to add another bespoke to my collection but would rather get a soft one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana