Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Montecristi

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Here is my new Montecristi, received today from Panamabob:

montecristi-1.jpg

And here I am wearing it:

panama-on-2.jpg

Here is a closeup of the weave (by my count about 360 WPSI):

brim-closeup.jpg

And the vueltas (7 of them?):

vueltas.jpg

It seems to me like a nice hat. Was it worth the $150 I paid for it? How the heck would I know? I'm certainly no expert. There is so much B.S. out there on the web about Panama hats that it's hard to tell what the truth is and what falls short of the truth. I think that anything like this with a Llano weave would be significantly more expensive from most other places.

I will give a couple observations, though:

The weave seems to my uneducated eye to be very even and regular. The color of the hat is wonderful. I also like the feel of the hat. It doesn't look or feel like fabric as the super expensive Panamas are reputed to, but it most certainly doesn't feel like a cheap straw hat, either.

Robert was perfectly honest about the Ecuador block being somewhat less desirable than a USA block. I will take his advice and have it re-blocked in the near future. I would like a better quality leather sweat band and ribbon.

If you buy from Robert, you may have to wait many weeks for your hat. Three weeks was the estimate, but ten weeks was the reality. This isn't a complaint, it's a fact. As the weeks stretched into months, Robert offered to give me my money back, but I decided I'd rather have a hat than a refund. About three weeks later I had my hat. Again, I'm not complaining, just stating a fact.

Bottom line? Well, I've been wearing the hat all day and this evening since I opened the box. I'm pleased with it. If it lasts only 10 years, that's 15 bucks a year. Not too shabby. And it does look good on me... :cool:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks

What they say about pictures...
Answered a lot of my questions.
I appreciate that you took the time to
post those pix.

If you have one of the leather sweatband I'd
be curious to see that, too.

Congrats.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Which of Robert's Ecuador blocks is that? (Havana, C Crown...?) Or is it a custom version?

If it were me I think I would have had the brim turned down a bit more at the sides, but that's just me. :)

Very smart!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Observations:

1) Thanks for the kind words.

2) It is sometimes very hard to work with people in Ecuador for my North American cultures and norms.

3) We don't do anything "special" to the brims. We leave them naturally.

4) This group of hats has taken way too long for many reasons. If your hat is still not here, I have reasons, not excuses, and as always, you can have your money back or have a hat soon. Not to go into gory detail, but my brother-in-law dropped the ball and about 75% of the hats came in way too big. We had a minor strike by a worker because he was too impatient to wait 15 days for his check to clear the bank...it goes on and on.

5) I still contest you won't find the same quality hat anywhere at a lower price.

6) We're now set up with 2 new blockers in USA, but waiting on photos. Two East Coast and our ol' favorite on the West Coast.

7) The Fedora Lounge guys get great hats for very little dinero!

8) My communication has been terrible lately. I'm doing grad work full time, teaching full time, and working on my Spanish teaching minor. Thats 24 credit hours, teaching 30 periods, and trying to be dad, husband, hat and alpaca distributor, ebayer and myself!

9) A friend in Ecuador lost his job, I'll put photos up soon of his family, and we've foolishly taken him on the payroll at the same time the mail lost one of our packages. Nothing to sell, out money...yikes!

10) The sun still came up today. My kids and wife are healthy. I'm FAT and SASSY, yet healthy. I have good friends and I love my job. That is good enough for me.

Have a great day.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Feltfan, here are the photos of the sweatband:

band.jpg

And the underside of the band:

band-2.jpg

It is a serviceable sweatband, but somewhat less than the quality I want in a really nice hat. Let me be clear about this: Robert was very upfront about the quality of the Ecuador block and finishing of the hat, so I am not at all surprised nor am I unhappy with the sweatband or the ribbon. I only had so much to spend right now and I chose to spend it to get the best quality hat body I could afford. When I get next year's tax refund, then I can have it reblocked and nicely finished the way I want it.

Robert, I didn't find your communication bad at all. Every time I sent you a PM, you got back to me within an hour. All in all, your customer service was just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you to someone who is looking for a Montecristi.

Bebop

Practically Family
I love mine!

On the web sight there claims to be a 5% discount on hats paid by check, M.O. etc. but when I inquired, and also stated that I was a member here, I was told that 5% did not apply anymore even though it still claimed 5% right there on the web sight. All I got in response was "Can't honor that right now. I can do 2 1/2 % only." It seemed like a cold, shoulder-shrugging response that told me they did not really need my money anyway. So I passed on it and paid more elsewhere. Why advertise a 5% discount if you don't honor it? Never heard of such a business practice. The person that emailed me did not even know on which web sight I had ordered the hat. The customer is supposed to juggle which web sight they ordered their hat on? Why is there more than one web sight? Why would there be different prices on different web sights? It all seemed very unorganized and suspect to me even though there are alot of great things said about "where to buy a Montecristi". I passed on it scratching my head wondering what had just happened. I passed on principal only. Not because the hat was so expensive or because of quality or anything like that. I would rather pay more and feel like my hat will actually get to me in a more pro. manner.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That would be me. Guilty as charged.

We have three selling websites designed by three different people at three different times. Feel free to look at them and find my conniving ways of conning people out of money.

www.panamabob.com
www.panamahat.biz
www.panamas.biz
www.panamahat.net

Nothing suspect at all, except that I don't have the time now to take care of getting them all in sync at the moment. I do have a web design team working on that now.

Thanks for taking the time to contact me personally about it, instead of airing your dirty laundry publicly.

Nothing like picking up the ol' phone and calling me about it, huh?

I'll tell you the truth about things and anyone here knows that. I answered your email truthfully and to the point.

Again, pick up the phone and contact me if you have a problem and I'm sure there are dozens of guys here who would back me on that, if not publicly certainly privately.
Robert 260-343-2686

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Would it be easier to replace all of the websites except one with a simple redirection link to the remaining one...? Or even just adjust all of the domain names registrations to point to the same IP address?...

Changing the subject slightly: Robert, you sound like you've been "quite" busy lately :) but have your researches into $100 and $300 Cuenca hats advanced at all? Are you going to be selling them any time soon?

Bebop

Practically Family
My mistake!!

Sorry, I did not mean to make my rant a personal thing. Being new here I do not want to rock the boat. Much respect to you and your clients. I just treated it like I would any other web purchase. I really don't like to go back and forth with any seller of anything. I just look at the sight, pay as advertised and go away until next time. Next time I want a hat from you , I will make sure I contact you personally and call you and make sure your web sight is updated and that you are not having problems with web design, ask you which sight I should order from and really work harder at buying a hat. I suppose anyone that reads this should know that I did not contact you. I am guilty of that. By the way, that was not MY dirty laundry that was aired. Buena suerte. Viva Panamabob!!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The websites are all geared into one site...but when you do a search some "ghost" pages are still out there. I'll get it straightened out eventually.

Communication is a lost art and I'm as guilty as anyone.

Cuencas are in the mail...I'm tracing them daily.

I swear I'll have hundreds of hats in stock next year to alleviate some of the "problems."

Bebop,

I'm not having problems with web design. I lowered the prices on the site the others feed into and I didn't eliminate some of the other pages. My mistake and I accept responsibility for it.

I'm not implying you are responsible for my mistakes. I am. I'm not implying you need to work harder. I'm implying that you should complain to the party that can make the changes.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
No, no, I appreciate it. You were being very kind. I know our hats are very good for the money, and if someone wants to squabble over a few dollars that go to a great cause then I shouldn't really squabble. After all, in the words of the experts, the way we sell hats only benefits the consumer.

riccardo

Practically Family
Don't be unhappy...

Hi,
why did you be unhappy to start this thread, Photobyalan...?
The hat is very very very nice, i like it...I like very much the ribbon on your Montecristi...and its crown is very nice.
I wear my Montecristi Panama hat every day, it's a great hat, the next summer i shall buy one from Bob...i would like an English Optimo, I see one of this on his site, it looks very beautiful.
Enjoy your Montecristi Panama hat.
Hei guys...make love not war ;) :p :cheers1:

Regards
Riccardo.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I was only half serious...

What I meant to say (oh, how I hate having to use that phrase :rolleyes: ) was I didn't start the thread with the intention of having someone else turn it into a criticism of Robert's business. I just wanted to show off my new hat and share my thoughts about it.

OK, enough backpedaling for one day. We now return you to regular programming.

mano

New in Town
Robert, who on the east coast do you use to block your hats? I bought one that was blocked in Equador and might be interested in reblocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner