Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New offerings at J Peterman

Nick Charles

Practically Family
This looks promising and it has a belt back. There is another in the catalog but not on the web yet.
1636-4FLAPPOCKETJACKET.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I know you are a J Peterman fan, Matt. How would you rate the quality/construction of their suits/jackets? Banana Republic? Joseph A. Banks? Brooks Brothers?

Zach R.

Practically Family
Well, I spent almost 150 dollars on ties today too...

But, it IS possible. :p

My justification is that "I'm stocking up for when I go off to college."

BTW, I'm going to post some pics of my ties that I got in the GAaA section in a little while.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
Have you fellows seen the trench coat? It looks pretty interesting. It has very wide lapels. I like that.

It may be found here.

I ordered one of these last week. Should be here any day now...lets hope it's as nice as they claim it is.

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Grenfell_Cloth_Trench_Coat.htm

I looked at the Brooks Brother's coat, and while it is very well made, I felt
it was rather...plain.

The Burberry isn't what it used to be, and to be honest, it looked and felt a little cheap, especially when you consider how much they charge for it.

Oddly enough I failed to find a real, vintage Burberry from the 30's or 40's.

Robert Conway said:
The Burberry isn't what it used to be, and to be honest, it looked and felt a little cheap, especially when you consider how much they charge for it.

Yep, Burberry is so focussed on it's lower end product that it has lost sight of what it used to be. Unfortunately (or not) baseball caps in loud prints are where the money is at. Gone are the days when the answer to the question: "Where can i find a top-notch trench coat?" was "Well, sir, obviously over at Burberry!"

The sad decline of a once fine company ... All they have now is football [soocer] hooligans

bk

Baggers

Practically Family
Robert Conway said:
I ordered one of these last week. Should be here any day now...lets hope it's as nice as they claim it is.

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Grenfell_Cloth_Trench_Coat.htm

I looked at the Brooks Brother's coat, and while it is very well made, I felt
it was rather...plain.

I've been thinking about replacing the Burberry trench I bought about fifteen years ago and then sold about three years back. This looks like an interesting alternative. Please post pictures and a review as soon as you can.

Cheers!

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Yep, Burberry is so focussed on it's lower end product that it has lost sight of what it used to be. bk

Yeah, times have changed and so has that company.

Sometime in the late 50's or early 60's my dad had purchased a Burberry raincoat, which he wore for a solid 20 years. Eventually it went to pieces, and that was that. But the memory of that coat, has become somewhat of a legend in my family.

So, a few weeks ago my dad and I went over to the Burberry store in search of one of these coats for me. It still is a nice coat, but it's just not what it used to be, just like you can still buy a nice suit today, but it just won't be in the same class as it's vintage counterpart.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Vladimir Berkov said:
I know you are a J Peterman fan, Matt. How would you rate the quality/construction of their suits/jackets? Banana Republic? Joseph A. Banks? Brooks Brothers?

I can't speak for the internal construction as I haven't taken one of their jackets apart, though I will say J. Peterman' latest dress jackets are top notch. Better than Banana... Better than Brooks Brothers. I'll Look closely at a jos. A Bank this weekend.

Cut is very 1940's for the two newer jackets I have from them.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Baggers said:
I've been thinking about replacing the Burberry trench I bought about fifteen years ago and then sold about three years back. This looks like an interesting alternative. Please post pictures and a review as soon as you can.

Cheers!

Will do, it should be here in a few days.
I'm very curious about the Grenfell cloth.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Cut is very 1940's for the two newer jackets I have from them.

Does this mean smaller armholes, wider lapels, and sew on, er... and SO on? Would it be a good substitute for vintage?

(aside - When I first heard of J.Peterman a couple years ago, I was surprised to find they are a real company. Which came first? Seinfeld or J.Peterman?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart