Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Old Stock/With Tags: To Wear or Not to Wear?

Crumblecrumb

New in Town
I bought and sold a lot of sixties/seventies vintage clothes as a student. I came across loads of deadstock Levis (684 and 646 lot mainly). I found that the ones I left labels on barely earned more than those I wore for several months myself. Personally though I am sucker for old labels, particularly those that still have the price on them.

Crumblecrumb

New in Town
I thought about that for ages myself, but couldn’t really come up with an answer. Jeans are always better broken in I suppose, especially deadstock, but it’s much nicer if you do it yourself!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Most NOS things I buy I use... and I keep the tags and such as most do.

However, the more rare and exotic the item, the more I rather just leave it alone. I have a pair of beautiful socks that are NOS with the most beautiful graphics and packaging I've seen. I know if I wore them once or twice they'd loose shape and be worthless to wear... and this way I enjoy them just by looking at them and knowing they haven't ever been touched in 70 years or so. So, I leave those alone and enjoy them for I gain enjoyment out of just seeing them and knowing they're safe with me! Other NOS socks I find have very little tags and it's not a big deal for me but those ones... heaven help me if I ever wore them! I'd be stricken by the vintage NOS Gods or something lol

A pal of mine has an original NOS NRA tagged three piece suit that's belted... it's an odd size, the pants fit him perfect but the coat and vest are a little large. He doesn't want to sell it to anyone and just wants to hang on to it for the sake of collecting and preservation of such a rare item. I'm on his side ladies and gents, I support his keeping it for preservation sake... you'll never find another NRA tagged suit that has never been worn with the original store tags on it.

So, it really depends on what it is... ya know? That's the way I feel about it. Some things should be left alone.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
ahaha every fall I look at them and think I should just do it! But I haven't the heart. Then again, I also have a bunch of other vintage jackets/coats (no tags) between me and them. It's a nice problem to have! :eek:

Blackjack

One Too Many
You have a good point, but I'd still wear them ;)

I should probably sell this, my Mom bought it on her honeymoon in 46...
momscoat.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I'm also a tag saver. While wearing NOS stuff diminishes the value, it's a real nice feeling to wear quality stuff that's basically brand new, particularly NOS slacks! The one NOS item I have that I can't bring myself to take the tags off or wear is a '30s/'40s newsboy cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR