Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
J. M. Stovall said:
The effects in TOS are are worn out as that sweatband-into the trash I say! :D

But on the other hand, the stories were compelling enough that they didn't need distracting FX. A lot of things nowadays are more about FX at the expense of the story. I'm a long-time fan of Star Trek, can't pick a favorite, but I am partial to TOS, and the original Enterprise will always be the most beautiful lady in the franchise.

(Okay, usually compelling. I won't get into "Spock's Brain" and "The Way to Eden") ((Yaay, brother!))

carter

I'll Lock Up
Seen it on a 69 Oldsmobile last weekend. The dope had to radius the wheel wells on the front fender
:eek:fftopic:

We probably need a new thread called Dumbing Down a Smart Car.

I'm restoring a '76 Mercury Colony Park Station Wagon. Maybe I should do it to this car. Naaaa. :rolleyes:

Back to 'Going Where No Man (or Woman) Has Gone Before'.
We now return your thread to you. ;)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Nick D said:
But on the other hand, the stories were compelling enough that they didn't need distracting FX.

I too am a long time fan, since I watched the show originally air when I was a kid, and I think the old effects are distracting myself. I'm always thinking, "man, couldn't they do that bluescreen around the ship better?" even when I was 6. :p

Jovan

Suspended
Doctor Strange said:
As I said above, the huge goofy grin was clearly a "mistake" in that Spock's character was not yet clearly defined when they shot the pilot. Now that they are digitally screwing around with TOS, I fully expect that grin to be removed in a future iteration of "improving" the series. The Lucasization has begun!
A "mistake," just as many others in Trek, that is pretty much well accepted by now. It IS in the canon though, as much as the "mistake" of Spock and Kirk-in-woman's-body holding hands for 30 seconds... (BIG fuel for the K/S fire, but I digress)

The episodes have not been Lucasized. Everything is timed the same, and there has been no digital tweaking of rubber alien suits besides a blink of eyes from the Gorn. I have to ask, and don't take this the wrong way... have you actually watched the remastered episodes? Leonard Nimoy said the same thing until he saw how closely their work stuck to the intents of the original effects artists.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I agree wih you Jovan, until I saw it I wasn't sold either. But all the colors are so vivid, and the picture so sharp, and those effects! I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl! ;) I feel like I'm 6 all over again discovering something new!

Ok that was a major nerd moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy