Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

carter

I'll Lock Up
you cannot go home again.

Who would want to? My humble opinion is that the best of Star Trek begins and ends with Jean Luc Picard. Prelude and postscripts aside, these episodes were the Golden Age of Star Trek.

Besides. I much prefer Shatner well-marinated in his Denny Crain incarnation. Boston Legal must qualify as a guilty pleasure on some level.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
chekov

Chekov not mention on the casting call. Rumor is that he's already cast. Filming set for November.

STAR TREK
Feature Film
SAG
PARAMOUNT PICTURES/BAD ROBOT

[JAMES KIRK] 23-29 Handsome,cocky self assured and earnest. Great physical condition. 6 ft or less

[LEONARD(BONES)MCOY] -28-32 Medic on the Enterprise. Smart, clever and a bit danger-loving. Dark hair, blue eyes.

[UHURA] 25ish -African American. Brilliant, beautiful, heroic and FUN!, Uhura is almost tom-boyish - as if she grew up in a houseful of brothers.

[SULU] 25-32 -Asian American male (preferably Japanese). Helmsman on the Enterprise. Extremely fit, capable and dedicated. A bit of a wildcat

[MONTGOMERY(SCOTTY) SCOTT] -28-32 a brilliant ship's engineer. Must be able to do a flawless Scottish accent!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Leading Edge said:
True, true.
HD beats significantly beats DVD in resolution.

Its been announced!
HD dvd full announcemnt!

snippet:
Coming November 20, 2007, the dazzling Star Trek Remastered series is being released in a 10-disc HD DVD/DVD combo-disc set, marking the first release of Trek product in the high definition format.
updated CGI using landscapes photos taken by astronauts
320x240.jpg

1960's tv fx
old-405x304.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
I think you overstate the case - it is entirely plausible that he was more emotional before we saw him in the first series. If he's downright human, that is too much, but he does vaciliate on the unemotional spectrum, at least he did to me, watching the show.
Not only plausible, it's frickin' CANON. Need I mention "The Cage"? ;)

*HUGE goofy grin when a blue flower sings*

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I said above, the huge goofy grin was clearly a "mistake" in that Spock's character was not yet clearly defined when they shot the pilot. Now that they are digitally screwing around with TOS, I fully expect that grin to be removed in a future iteration of "improving" the series. The Lucasization has begun!

As I also stated much earlier in this thread, I do not approve of, and certainly will not watch or buy, the "remastered" episodes. I consider them a disgraceful slap in the face to the pioneering effects technicians who did wonderful pushing-the-envelope work (by 60s TV standards) on Star Trek. The original effects work, as lame as it may seem to today's younger folks, was one of the important things that made the series a success in the first place and spawned the franchise. (If people like me had never loved those effects and watched the show over and over on b/w TVs with lousy rabbit-ear reception, Trek would just be a footnote.)

But hey, I'm not the target audience for any of today's Trek merchandising efforts. I'm simply one of The Old Ones, The Ones That Made Us...

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
Its been announced!
HD dvd full announcemnt!

snippet:
Coming November 20, 2007, the dazzling Star Trek Remastered series is being released in a 10-disc HD DVD/DVD combo-disc set, marking the first release of Trek product in the high definition format.
updated CGI using landscapes photos taken by astronauts
320x240.jpg

1960's tv fx
old-405x304.jpg

Thanks for the head's up (all puns intendedlol) Gives me some lead time to squirrel away enough ducats!

Obviously, the remastering, CGI, and conversion to HD will all work together to enhance the credibility of the Star Trek universe. The down side is similar to what happened when comics became animated: the newer viewers did not have to contribute as much to "get it". More likely they will be mentally passive consumers unlike those of us who by virtue of having to engage our minds used the imagination to complete the vision, reasoning to speculate about the possibilities, and contemplation to process the implications for our cultural, social, and technological progress.

Hondo

One Too Many
Can't you just see it? Beyonce Knowles as Lt. Uhura, "booty 1 on screen captian" Yes fun!!! lol

And while were on it Mad TV's Frank Caliendo does a mean Capt. Kirk :eusa_clap

MrBern said:
[UHURA] 25ish -African American. Brilliant, beautiful, heroic and FUN!, Uhura is almost tom-boyish - as if she grew up in a houseful of brothers.

HANSOLOJONES

New in Town
I think they should focus on Captain Christopher Pike and Spock. I know everyone wants to see Kirk, But Pike would be a better choice for a Prequel, Reboot of sorts.In the original series, Spock states he served ten years with Pike before Kirk took command of the Enterprise. I don't know, it dosen't seem to make sense to me to have Kirk and Spock as "pals" While they are in the Academy.

High Regards,
HSJ.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
But hey, I'm not the target audience for any of today's Trek merchandising efforts. I'm simply one of The Old Ones, The Ones That Made Us...

I'm only 7 years younger than you and I really like the re-mastered shows! I lived, breathed and ate Star Trek when I was a kid. My wife thinks I'm a nut because I'm going "Wow look at that! Jeeze check this out!" every five minutes during the new effects. And you make it sound like those pioneers died in some fx battle in '69, when I'm sure they kept on working, innovating, and creating and would be some of the first to admit, "yeah, that old stuff sucked". ;)

Hondo

One Too Many
All silliness aside and no offense meant but I agree with your wife, I won’t be buying this either, I’m sticking with classic vintage era movies, cartoons;this isn’t being targeted towards people my age.

J. M. Stovall said:
I'm only 7 years younger than you and I really like the re-mastered shows! I lived, breathed and ate Star Trek when I was a kid. My wife thinks I'm a nut because I'm going "Wow look at that! Jeeze check this out!" every five minutes during the new effects. And you make it sound like those pioneers died in some fx battle in '69, when I'm sure they kept on working, innovating, and creating and would be some of the first to admit, "yeah, that old stuff sucked". ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Doc Strange
I know theres no consoling you, but its been widely documented that lots of the `60s tv fx were not cutting edge as they were on a tight budget & timetable.
RobertJustman who worked on original Trek has had many good things to say about the Remastering.
You might enjoy a viewing more than u would think
-bern

Doctor Strange said:
As I said above, the huge goofy grin was clearly a "mistake" in that Spock's character was not yet clearly defined when they shot the pilot. Now that they are digitally screwing around with TOS, I fully expect that grin to be removed in a future iteration of "improving" the series. The Lucasization has begun!

As I also stated much earlier in this thread, I do not approve of, and certainly will not watch or buy, the "remastered" episodes. I consider them a disgraceful slap in the face to the pioneering effects technicians who did wonderful pushing-the-envelope work (by 60s TV standards) on Star Trek. The original effects work, as lame as it may seem to today's younger folks, was one of the important things that made the series a success in the first place and spawned the franchise. (If people like me had never loved those effects and watched the show over and over on b/w TVs with lousy rabbit-ear reception, Trek would just be a footnote.)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'd have to vote for Gabrielle Union in the Uhura role. She's beautiful, athletic, and can deliver a line better than most actresses today. ;)

Doctor Strange said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Like putting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Kirk

Just going over some old posts from late July.
I was on birthday holiday & ignored th internet.
(I did go to Vegas & check out the TrekExperience at the Hilton)

So, from what I've culled, MAttDamon has said that he is open to playign Kirk & impressed that Shatner approves, but the Producers have said he is too old.
And it doesnt look like Shatner is in the film as he did die in TrekVII, and no one has bothered to resurrect him.
Nimoy is in the film as he does appear in ST:TNG episodes.
No word if any of the ST:TNG crew will appear.

Big trek convention in Vegas this wknd, so more announcmnt are imminent.

Oh, a rumored photo of DoctorStrange watching Remastered Trek has appeared:

alex-clockwork-orange.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
The old show wasn't really "designed" to be bad effects wise, they just didn't have the time or the budget to do any better (i.e. 2001, doesn't need fixn'). They wanted it to be better but it wasn't meant to be...until now! Yea!

The effects in TOS are are worn out as that sweatband-into the trash I say! :D

J. M. Stovall said:
The effects in TOS are are worn out as that sweatband-into the trash I say! :D

Well that's where we differ. If you are going to remove the old sweatband then you should at least keep it with the hat so you know more about the hat and what it originally consisted of.
The same is true of the old TOS. I wouldn't know it after they added all the extraneous stuff. Its like Nimoy said the great thing about the original series was precisely that it didn't have a big budget for special effects. They had to concentrate more on developing the story and improving their acting. It shows.
Today's movies and TV shows are completely the opposite---more glitz than substance. We'll see what they mange to make of this new project but if they do what they did to TOS, it is DOA already just as Enterprise was.
Now back to getting a life as Shatner would say. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy