Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I liked Lost In Space, maybe it was the monkey alien thing <crawls back in corner to hide>.
MrBern said:
I really hope the costumes & sets are retro.
The art direction of ST:Enterprise really didnt give the sense that it pre-dated TOS trek. It mightve been more interestign had they made the ship more like a submarine & then you could get a sense of limited technology.

Anyone else think this movie could be a disaster like...LostinSpace?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Very good on all points.
People forget there were scenes where Spock would be snide...or even flirt!
And lets not forget that in the Pilot scenes of TheCage, he smiles while touching that quivering musical plant.
A young Spock entered in the StarFleetAcademy, might be more interested in pursueing his human roots since he has crossed his father by not entering Vulcan science institutions.

but I'm getting ahead of it all. We dont know if the movie will really be of the academy or an early mission. And we all know, there have been startrek projects that were given the GO, built sets costumes & props & then didnt film....

Edward said:
Though Nimoy, of course, wasn't playing a Vulcan - he was playing a half-Vulcan, half-Human hybrid. ;)

:D

But yes, none of the rest of them have really hit the spot the way Nimoy did - it's that sense of benevolent bemusement at the emotional behaviour of humans rather than the stick-up-ass, puritan disapproval of same that so many of them project. Spock also always betrayed more of a sense of humour than was immediately obvious.

According to the established continuity, when did they first encounter the Bajorans? I've long had a bit of a thing for Bajorna ladies.... :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree that Nimoy's performance as Spock remains unbeaten as the best, most interesting Vulcan. Only Mark Lenard's Sarek even comes close. Tuvok was an awful bore, T'Pol an awful mistake, and most of the guest-shot Vulcans over the years have (as mentioned above) made the mistake of playing Vulcans emotionlessly, instead of as people carefully reigning in their emotions. Nimoy's and Lenard's nuanced shadings remain the gold standard.

But Mr. Bern, it's been pretty well established that Spock's smile in The Cage (more properly The Menagerie, since the first pilot never aired in the 60s) was more or less a mistake, since they hadn't really worked out his character in detail yet. (See Buster Keaton's big smiles in one of his first shorts as sidekick to Fatty Arbuckle, Coney Island, for an example of exactly the same thing from 1918!)

In any case, I don't want to see Mr. Sylar "actively pursuing his human roots" - not at a fully conscious or obvious level, anyway.

And re Lost In Space, I thought LeBlanc's performance was fine. It was the least of the film's problems!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Quinto's Spock

Actually , I JUST read this quote:

Quinto said he only recently learned that Vulcans were not born without emotions but had to choose that path. Young Spock, he noted, is "at a time in his life when he's probably not as grounded in his certitude" that he will follow a strictly Vulcan path.

and

Quinto said that he did not plan to mimic Nimoy and had discussed with Abrams that "it's not about recreating anything...it's about reimagining it. And I feel like I'll do that in my own way. I don't know what that's going to be yet, but that's what my process is."

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
tom cruise rumour

Cruise Rumour story link

CaptainPike casting rumour...
captpike-spock1_1186426056.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Casting Cruise in a cameo as Christopher Pike is fine, but I am disturbed by the Quinto story.

Vulcans are taught to repress their emotions from earliest childhood: their entire culture is based around it. It goes against everything that we've known of Spock (not to mention T'Pol, Tuvok, etc.) to have young Spock (in or out of Starfleet Academy) being more openly emotional and working towards surpressing his feelings. Spock's entire established character arc is of starting off virtually totally repressed, and only coming to terms with his human side over the course of the series (The Naked Time, This Side of Paradise, Amok Time, etc.) and films (well, all of them). To think that Sarek, T'Pau, the Vulcan High Counsel and High Command, or any of the Vulcan establishment would allow Spock to go to Earth and/or the Academy without having amply demonstrated the usual rigorous self-control is WRONG!

But then again, this isn't *my* Trek, this is 21st Century Trek, "reimagined and improved" for today's audience...

jake431

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Casting Cruise in a cameo as Christopher Pike is fine, but I am disturbed by the Quinto story.

Vulcans are taught to repress their emotions from earliest childhood: their entire culture is based around it. It goes against everything that we've known of Spock (not to mention T'Pol, Tuvok, etc.) to have young Spock (in or out of Starfleet Academy) being more openly emotional and working towards surpressing his feelings. Spock's entire established character arc is of starting off virtually totally repressed, and only coming to terms with his human side over the course of the series (The Naked Time, This Side of Paradise, Amok Time, etc.) and films (well, all of them). To think that Sarek, T'Pau, the Vulcan High Counsel and High Command, or any of the Vulcan establishment would allow Spock to go to Earth and/or the Academy without having amply demonstrated the usual rigorous self-control is WRONG!

But then again, this isn't *my* Trek, this is 21st Century Trek, "reimagined and improved" for today's audience...

I think you overstate the case - it is entirely plausible that he was more emotional before we saw him in the first series. If he's downright human, that is too much, but he does vaciliate on the unemotional spectrum, at least he did to me, watching the show.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
Well th question is what type of Kirk are we talking about? TOS Kirk was about 33 & incredibly dynamic even amongst his peers.
In the original series, references to Kirk in his academy days describe him as a walking stack of books. Then you have the Finnegan upperclassmen character that hazed him so badly he still dreamed of punching him out 15 years later in the ShoreLeave episode.

Points well taken.
When I think of Kirk, it is the Kirk of the original series, not the big screen or later cameos. Although I do not have the series to freshen my recollection, I recall that the bookish Kirk of Starfleet Academy was more often described or referenced rather than portrayed. In those instances where the Academy Kirk was portrayed, I thought William Shatner only toned down the Kirk persona. IMHO, he only managed to achieve a repressed eagerness inconsistent with the reticent, bookish character Kirk was supposed to be at Starfleet Academy. I didn't buy it.

(Now, I have to get TOS and the STNG series DVDs!)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
The art direction of ST:Enterprise really didnt give the sense that it pre-dated TOS trek. It mightve been more interestign had they made the ship more like a submarine & then you could get a sense of limited technology.

:eek: Bite your tongue! :eek:

Gene must be turning over in his grave for sure!

BTW: I enjoyed the B movie set designs, costuming, and campy style of Lost in Space. But this is STAR TREK we're talking about! Remastering and a little CGI here and there are one thing, but to so far detract from the credibility as that would be. . . sacriligeous.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Leading Edge said:
(Now, I have to get TOS and the STNG series DVDs!)

NO, dont get the dvds!
The remastered versions w/ th freshened CGI are in HD. Thats far better resolution than DVD. Wait til they sell out of the dvd, then they'll start selling BluRay or something.
Actually the remastered versions are on Itunes.

I caught some of "WHere No Man Has Gone Before" over the wknd. I quite enjoyed the remastered CGI. It really caught the flavor of the old show.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I dont know.
Didn Amanda mention that the very young Spock was quite taunted by vulcan kids?
Sarek mightve been concerned about Spock going to StarFleet as the influence of Amanda. Concerned about Spock experimenting w/ his human side. And there are plenty of references that women are drawn to Spock. Young romance? Theres lots of ways to paint a younger Spock finding himself. After all, "Naked Time" showed a lot of what was under Spock's calm exterior.

Doctor Strange said:

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
NO, dont get the dvds!
The remastered versions w/ th freshened CGI are in HD. Thats far better resolution than DVD. Wait til they sell out of the dvd, then they'll start selling BluRay or something.

True, true.
HD beats significantly beats DVD in resolution.

Hondo

One Too Many
I hate to be a sour puss but can’t we “boldly go where no man as gone before and seek out new life and new situations?” I too remember ST from its first TV airing. We lost Scotty, and Bones, leaving Kirk & Spock, throw in Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, all in rest homes today for good measures.
I thought Star Trek: The Next Generation was as good as it will get, I want to remember Capt. Kirk and the remaining cast for what they were from the early years, granted Spock can live for ever but haven’t we milked this enough?
I leave you now with what Doc said, this new venture is bound to fail, dreams, memories, long may they prosper :)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Hondo said:
I hate to be a sour puss but can’t we “boldly go where no man as gone before and seek out new life and new situations?” I too remember ST from its first TV airing. We lost Scotty, and Bones, leaving Kirk & Spock, throw in Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, all in rest homes today for good measures.
I thought Star Trek: The Next Generation was as good as it will get, I want to remember Capt. Kirk and the remaining cast for what they were from the early years, granted Spock can live for ever but haven’t we milked this enough?
I leave you now with what Doc said, this new venture is bound to fail, dreams, memories, long may they prosper :)

If, and this is a big "if", the writers can effectively back story the characterizations, the modernism and post modernism themes, and play it all out in a world replete with appropriate precursors for the visionary scientific and technological stages manifest in TOS and STNG (even though the Borg thing was run into the ground), the newest Star Trek will work for me.

The concerns I have exist because I noticed a significant difference between the Star Trek world created during Gene Roddenberry's lifetime and the ones that were created after his death. Whether it was because his writing, production, or his influence, the Star Trek world of his time seemed to have an certain type of edge which presented issues in a way that generated discussions rather than arguments, explored the human inner terrain to expose unexpected linkages, and delighted us with a lovely playfulness in episodes such as "The Trouble with Tribbles"

MrBern said:

Some how we all wax nostalgic for the innocence of the cardboard stage pieces. But that time is gone. Even if it was faithfully recreated, times have changed and you cannot go home again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21