Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW STETSON 2015 Dress catalog

Knotten

Practically Family
That's not a bad sale price at all. I like that color too. What are the general opinions of this hat from those who own one? The only concerns I have, is that I'm a hard to fit Long Oval. I don't think a whole lot of modern hat companies make LO sizes these days, including Stetson. Putting strips behind the sweat on a size larger hat is a coin toss at best. Sometimes it works okay, and a lot of times it doesn't. At any rate, I found that even with padding the sweat, the hat still never fits exactly right. I also prefer a little wider brim on my fedoras of no less than 2 5/8 inches, and no more than 2 3/4 inches wide. Does the Premiere Strat come with those brim widths as well? Good sale price for the Premiere though.

I'm a 7 1/8 long oval and bought this hat just before Christmas. The fit was a tad larger than a 7 1/8. As a result, it fit my long oval skull just right, but I've had to pad the sides just slightly. It feels about right now. Overall it's a nice hat, though.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There's a lot I like in the new catalog actually...too much even! I like the Biaritz because it's kinda funky. The Racine is a sharp lid too, I wonder what the other ribbon combos are. I was kinda hoping for a different excellent quality offering beside the Strat. I love me a thin ribbon but I have two black Strats and three Open Roads (although nothing in brown or grey). The new Runabout pro with the 2 1/2 brim is cool too. I can definitely see a rollable wide brim felt being very useful.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The ABSINTHE is really neat as well with its Silk Finish. I find it to be very cool that Stetson is now going to make an Open Crown Silk Finish hat. I would love to see one in person.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
There are a lot of nice new styles. I have to admit ,it was a little confusing because there were so many new hats to choose from. But there was a lot of effort in creating this line ..more than in the past few years.
I know most of the lounge members will appreciate the open crown hats. We will have to see how the rest of the hat wearing public reacts to them .

tommyK

One Too Many
Besdor, I really think it's up to Stetson and, in particular, hat shops to push the idea of personalizing your hat with a custom crease for these open crown hats. Show the customer some options, maybe have a display or a group of similar hats to exhibit several different ways to go.

tommyK

One Too Many
The ABSINTHE is really neat as well with its Silk Finish. I find it to be very cool that Stetson is now going to make an Open Crown Silk Finish hat. I would love to see one in person.

I dig the Absinthe most of all. If I buy one it will be that. The Racine in natural is a maybe as well.

Besdor, I really think it's up to Stetson and, in particular, hat shops to push the idea of personalizing your hat with a custom crease for these open crown hats. Show the customer some options, maybe have a display or a group of similar hats to exhibit several different ways to go.

Yeah, like some of those old hat shop photos from the 20s and 30s!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Unquestionably. To most shoppers, an open crown hat just sitting there by itself is going to look odd. When I opened the box for my first Akubra Fed, I knew what it would look like, but it was still unsettling.

Have a display with the open crown, then one (same color) creased as a fedora w/ centerdent and maybe another with a C-Crown, and then one done up as an Open Road (especially in Texas and other western states).

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Absolutely! I think you hit the nail right on the head. Stetson has done their job by releasing the Open Crown models, now its up to not only the hat retailers, but all of us hat guys to show people the many different styles a crown can have. I find it extremely fun being able to experiment with a hat crease and make it my own. Retailers need to not only show people different creases, but show people how fun and easy it is to crease a hat. I have shown all of my buddies how to crease hats.

Unquestionably. To most shoppers, an open crown hat just sitting there by itself is going to look odd. Have a display with the open crown, then one (same color) creased as a fedora w/ centerdent and maybe another with a C-Crown, and then one done up as an Open Road (especially in Texas and other western states).

+1, Paul!!

There is nothing better than a window full of hats. Its the stuff dreams are made of!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I dig the Absinthe most of all. If I buy one it will be that. The Racine in natural is a maybe as well.

Those two were most definitely my favorites. The Grand Central in Silverbelly looks very cool too with the underwelt. I like the shorter brims when they are matched with taller open crowns, so 2 3/8 would be perfect for me. That Silverbelly felt with the brown ribbon is such a classic color combo. That's the combo I want to buy the Boss Raw Edge in.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
+2! Great looking hats.

After I get my tax refund, I hope to buy the Boss Raw Edge in Silverbelly from JJ Hat center. I love the open crown block profile and the wide kettle curled brim.

Josh, do you know if the Boss Raw Edge is available from any other online retailers besides JJ Hat Center?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, do you know if the Boss Raw Edge is available from any other online retailers besides JJ Hat Center?

I can tell you that I have looked on every hat retailer website I know of and the only one I see selling it is JJ Hat Center. Plus, JJ Hat Center was the first place to advertise it on their website and facebook page. I am unsure if its exclusive to JJ Hat Center or if they just got them first. I thought I remember reading online somewhere (though I could be totally wrong) that the Boss Raw Edge was a limited edition.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I can tell you that I have looked on every hat retailer website I know of and the only one I see selling it is JJ Hat Center. Plus, JJ Hat Center was the first place to advertise it on their website and facebook page. I am unsure if its exclusive to JJ Hat Center or if they just got them first. I thought I remember reading online somewhere (though I could be totally wrong) that the Boss Raw Edge was a limited edition.

Ok thanks. It is a really cool looking hat. But I think I'll need to wait for my refund check as well!

hatband

One of the Regulars
Some great choices here. Possibly too many,I have been watching with great interest. Does anyone know the difference between the Excellent and Royal Deluxe? Or is excellent a new catagory for Stetson.

The excellent Stratoliner looks good and the Premier Whippet has a higher crown and narrower brim than the "other" Whippet which looks like the model I have seen on DelMonico's website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner